Thread: what's the best SCI diet?

what's the best SCI diet?

I'm a pasta, pizza, chocolate and soft drink addict always was always will be
    prior SCI i had no problem, ran 10Km day in day out and had perfect bowel, bladder function,
    however since SCI heavy meals after 8pm are a no go, i now usually drink water and camberry juice, eat fruit and fibre cereals, soups, ministroni, meat, fish and vegetables. i still have the occasional pizza or italian pasta but feel guilty afterwards.

Probably the best diet for someone with a spinal cord injury is a diet of moderation. Actually that is the best diet for everyone, isn't it?

Soon after my injury (29 years ago), NL and I met with a dietician and learned about healthy eating. We had always had a pretty good diet, but it helped to get a professional perspective on our dietary needs. NL is a marvelous cook and we eat well, but she works hard to adapt recipes to be lower in fat, salt and sugars. Consequently we eat great food, that is prepared in a health conscious way. We are not ascetics, we do indulge in the occasional treat. The key is not to let treats become a regular habit.

If you are familiar with the Food Pyramid, you have a leg up on eating well. I have posted a picture of it below. The most important thing I have found to control weight is portion control. I eat just about anything I want, including pasta and pizza, but just not in huge portions. Learning how much is a "serving" is key.
    How to Judge a Portion Size:
    Your fist = about 1 cup or 1 medium size fruit

Your palm (without fingers) = about 3 ounces of cooked meat, poultry or fish

Your cupped hand = about 1-2 ounces of nuts or pretzels

Your thumb = about 1 ounce of cheese or meat

Your thumb tip = about 1 tablespoon

Your fingertip = about 1 teaspoon

I eat a variety of foods but try to front load my diet with grains, fruits and vegetables. Since heart disease and diabetes can be a problem for people with spinal cord injury, I try to limit sugar, salt, and fats.

All the best,
    GJ

Edit: Food Pyramid didn't make it into this post, see below.
    Last edited by gjnl; 12-15-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Sorry the Food Pyramid didn't make it into the post, and you can't "Attach" an image in Edit.

GJ

The sugar in soft drinks is pure poison. It will wreak havoc on the immune system and rot the teeth.

i limit my sugar intake to no more than 30g/day. not that i liked sweets anyway. but yea, whole grains and lots of veggies!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
    The sugar in soft drinks is pure poison. It will wreak havoc on the immune system and rot the teeth.
    Agreed.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
    its called a tooth brush & vitamins

beer and wings

Cheese, three meals a day pete.