Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handcycle With your Dog

Handcycle With your Dog

Well I tried to include the video, but can't figure it out...so here's the link:
    http://youtu.be/kfvrpA5h_bw

This is called the Walky Dog Bicycle Attachment. I hook it to my handcycle.

It's great because the dog gets a much better excercise than me using my wheelchair to walk her. Actually it also helps me out since she pulls pretty well up hills. Also, even if she sees a cat, she cannot pull me over (like she does when I'm sitting in my chair) with the lower center of gravity.

I have my dogs pull the wheelchair the same way as pulling a cart. I used to use a springer bike attachment to bike with them.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    I have my dogs pull the wheelchair the same way as pulling a cart. I used to use a springer bike attachment to bike with them.
    I would do that, but my dog doesn't understand "Stop!"

lol. I keep an extra leash attached to the collar as well as a backup, that way if she doesn't stop verbally I can add in a collar tug. She's good on verbal commands, but I don't let her get up as fast as I've seen others! Someone here posted a video of his chocolate lab pulling with the freewheel and they were really booking it. Though I wouldn't be able to get that fast without a freewheel anyway, I'd be eating pavement first!
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    lol. I keep an extra leash attached to the collar as well as a backup, that way if she doesn't stop verbally I can add in a collar tug. She's good on verbal commands, but I don't let her get up as fast as I've seen others! Someone here posted a video of his chocolate lab pulling with the freewheel and they were really booking it. Though I wouldn't be able to get that fast without a freewheel anyway, I'd be eating pavement first!
    You're probably right about that! 20 years ago when I was younger and dumber I broke a leg walking the dog. I had a big golden retriever, and he would pull me at a full run down the street. Did it all summer, until that one day when one of the neighbors got a new dog that needed chasing. Max went hard left and I flipped out of my chair and went crunch. Looking back, it is a miracle that I hadn't caught a rock with one of the casters before that.
    Be careful everybody!

I'm now handcycling regularly with my dog. I looked at the Springer and Walky Dog, but for now am using a hands-free leash (goes around my waist and has a sort of bungee cord section that gives the dog an extra couple feet of play) and a pulling harness which eases the strain on his neck, allows him to pull efficiently, and has a handy grab handle.

Definitely need a harness for pulling, one time I saw someone who had a custom collar made with a handle on it! She actually used her dogs neck.

My dad broke his leg walking our dog when I was a kid. It wasn't the dogs fault if I'm remembering correctly. It was really bizarre, because he completely shattered his femur. The femur is stronger than concrete! He had to have it put back together with a metal plate and screws. That leg is now shorter, and he has a lift in the shoe because he messed up his back walking for years with one leg longer.

Woodland, CA, USA Old male, T12 incomplete TM 2004
    Looks cool Joey. Teach your dog to stop (and all the other commands) with your handcycle before trying it with your wheelchair. (Every time you stop, yell "whoa" and stop. Your dog will learn from that - maybe). And wheelchair mushing is much more fun with a Freewheel so you can go fast safely.
    TM 2004 T12 incomplete

Looks so fun!!!! Will I be safe with dogs that are pullers

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    My dog used to pull me on cross country skis. The sport is called skijoring and now they have bikejoring. My equipment consisted of a padded belt with D rings. A quick release with a bungy cord built into the tow line helped with dog jerks. This type of equipment would adapt well for some folks.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt