Thread: heart stem cell heart patient

heart stem cell heart patient

tHE PATIENT TREATED WITH HIS STEM CELLS TO REPAIR DAMAGED HEART tissue is great news for him!
    All of FDA's clinical trial standards were skipped. I ask some pompous asshole at UCSF when will there collection of embryonic stem cells be used for a SCI patient, I'm told 25 years.
    Sure there are major differences between heart cells and nerve cells, blah,blah, blah- but I personally know 10 people who'd be willing to risk all for a chance to be expirimented on. This just shows how fuckin' far back in line we are to the priorties in the medical field.
    This angers me because a doctor's error paralyzed me with a complete injury! We are getting a raw deal Dr. Young, and this heart stem cell procedure only proves that we are being left behind!

sherman brayton

haven't i been saying for years there is a double standard.

Bone marrow cells can become heart cells

From the Science & Technology Desk
    Published 3/11/2003 6:21 PM
    View printer-friendly version

ROCHESTER, Minn., March 11 (UPI) -- Researchers said Tuesday that they have detected the first evidence that cells originating in the bone marrow can form new heart tissue in human adults, adding more support to the potential of using the cells to repair damaged hearts.

The study is important because it suggests bone marrow cells called progenitor cells could prove beneficial in the future for repairing heart damage, Dr. Noel Caplice, the Mayo Clinic cardiologist who led the study, said in a written statement.

Caplice's group performed autopsies on four female patients with leukemia who died from one month to nearly two years after receiving bone marrow transplants from male donors.

The team found a small percentage of the heart cells in the women contained male chromosomes, indicating the cells originated from the bone marrow transplants. Less than 1 percent of the cells examined had come from the men.

Although the findings, which appear in the March 11 issue of the journal Circulation, do not indicate the small percentage of heart cells derived from the bone marrow transplant improve heart function, they do suggest the technique could prove useful for mending and regenerating damaged heart tissue.

The study "supports the notion (of using these cells therapeutically) but of course our paper does not in any way prove that there's much improvement in heart function," a Caplice lab representative told United Press International.

"Under normal conditions, with less than 1 percent of heart-muscle cells originating from these progenitor cells, they obviously are not adding much to the heart's pumping strength," the Caplice statement said. "But if we can determine the signaling mechanism that causes progenitor cells to develop into (heart cells), we may be able to boost the response and induce more of them to proceed in that direction."

Dr. Jonathan Hill, a cardiologist doing adult stem cell research at the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute in Bethesda, Md., told UPI the study was important, but not a new concept.

"All the people in the stem cell field really expect this is what is happening," Hill said, noting a group of researchers from New York and Italy published similar findings last year in The New England Journal of Medicine. In that study, the researchers found evidence bone marrow cells in heart transplant patients had given rise to new heart cells in the donor hearts.

The new study "shows that the actual heart muscle cells are being replaced at a low level" without injury and heart attack, which is important for therapies aimed at ramping up that process to treat damaged heart cells, Hill said.

The regeneration process happens at a very low level and "that's why it's so ineffective (for repairing damage) when you have a heart attack," he said. "Your repair capacity is overwhelmed. That's why therapies are targeted at (increasing) your own body's repair capacity."

Studies aimed at doing just that "are already under way," he said. In some, researchers are giving drugs that boost production of bone marrow cells in patients who have coronary artery disease. In others, they are taking the bone marrow cells and growing them in high numbers outside of the body and then giving them back to the patient.

Researchers have not yet reached the point where they can use these therapies to repair hearts damaged by heart attacks, Hill said, adding "I think we'll get there ... in the next few years."

--

(Reported by Steve Mitchell, UPI Medical Correspondent, in Washington)

"in the next few years." un-f'n-believable

TEION,

You MUST remember that Dr. Young and Barth Green have both said it may be 20 years from now before any effectice SCI therapies are available. Don't be disappointed.

Over thirty years ago Brain Sternberg while in training for the Olympics in Poll Vault was injured. Thirty years later he had the Omental Tranposition procedure. This is the E-mail I recieved from him last night.

"Dear Mr. Meeker,

There UNDOUBTEDLY will be more I can say about your recent message regarding omental tranposition, but I think you've made a wonderful move getting an e-mail out about it so quickly! That procedure has been of immeaserable help to me. In fact, it's one of the most important reasons I'm able to respond by e-mail. Using a mouthpiece "hunt'n'pect" style won't win many speed typing contests (!), but without that operation (coupled with many prayers!) ther'd be NO WAY I could respond like this. Omental Transposition has made my life much more liveable in recent years.

Unfortunately, I can't make a finacial contribution to support your research, but know this is one guy who's behind that work 110%!

Sternberg"

This is why I'm so passionate about this very promising procedure. Because of what it has enabled people like Mr. Sternberg to do, as he said, "made my life much more liveable"
    You can read about his experience at http://members.cox.net/afonseca1/

Meeker