Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bladder botox?

bladder botox?

I recently just got a flap down on a pressure sore and am getting up more and
    more and ive been trying to do lifts every 15 min or so but after an hour or so from the time ive catheterized ill do my lifts and ill leak. So im wondering is bladder botox the best option? I had a bladder sling done 2 years ago but it only worked for so long and now doesnt really help. This is just becoming a really big problem and im wondering what i should do?
    Its only at the brink of our own destruction that we learn to change.

Do you take any anticholinergics (antispasmodics) like oxybutynin?

Botox may be an option if the anticholinergics help. Otherwise, the leakage may be from something else that may not respond to botox or anticholinergics.

All the best,
    GJ

My daughter just got her 4th bladder botox treatment (approx every 6 months). It works well. Between the botox when it is starting to wear off she takes Detrol. It helps, but not nearly as good as the botox.

bladder botox

I have had the bladder botoxed and the pelvic floor botoxed and when I did the bladder I then developed a retention problem and started a nightmare of one UTI after another. When I botoxed the pelvic floor the spasms stopped and so did the pain. But I am not a SCI pt. I have IC.

Without more information, it is hard to tell if botox may be an option for you. Is there a reason that you are jumping over the oral medications without trying them? Or are you on bladder medications already that are not working? Also, if you have had a foley in for any period of time after the surgery, you may have a uti that once treated, will stop the leaking. If that is the case, you need to contact your physician and have a culture done. In the meantime, I would encourage you to increase your fluid intake (it does help to decrease the bladder spasms).
    CKF

Ive started to take my oxybutynin more regulary 3 times a day(use to only take it once a day) and i find it does help but it doesn't seem 100% effective. I've sent a sample of urine in and waiting for results but it seems like the only symptom im getting is leakage and starting to doubt the leakage is because of infection. Is bladder botox more effective than the oral medications? Does bladder botox start losing its effects after you keep getting it?

Quote Originally Posted by twinkletoes View Post
    Ive started to take my oxybutynin more regulary 3 times a day(use to only take it once a day) and i find it does help but it doesn't seem 100% effective. I've sent a sample of urine in and waiting for results but it seems like the only symptom im getting is leakage and starting to doubt the leakage is because of infection. Is bladder botox more effective than the oral medications? Does bladder botox start losing its effects after you keep getting it?
    Botox may be more effective than medications. It certainly is a lot less trouble (you don't need to remember to take the meds) and it doesn't have dry mouth as a side effect. I had 4 courses of bladder botox. The first two worked great, then the effectiveness diminished with the last two. There are people on this site who have had botox injections many more times than I did and claim it remains effective for them. As with every SCI, we are all different and have different responses to treatments.

All the best,
    GJ

Botox is certainly an option to consider. However, some people have reported that it loses it's effectiveness over time. Not everyone has this problem, but we have no way of predicting who will have this problem.

I would suggest that you also consider either looking at other medications or readjusting your dose of oxybutrin.

Hope that this helps some.

CKF

So i went to my urologist friday and looks like were going to be doing the bladder botox. So i was just wondering if theres anything i should know about the procedure and if theres a period of time needed to recover?

Quote Originally Posted by twinkletoes View Post
    So i went to my urologist friday and looks like were going to be doing the bladder botox. So i was just wondering if theres anything i should know about the procedure and if theres a period of time needed to recover?
    I had four procedures of botox when I was managing my bladder with intermittent catheterization. I had the procedures in a large urology clinic of a major teaching hospital. The clinic had a "surgery suite" in the office, and the procedure was done there. Your urologist may use an outpatient surgery center or outpatient department in a hospital. I had my procedures done with the administration of 20 mg of Valium (Diazepam) and a local anesthesia. I was on constant blood pressure monitoring and my blood pressure did get high and I experienced autonomic symptoms. While there were rescue medications on hand, the urologist just stopped the procedure long enough for my blood pressure to return to normal and then began giving the injections once again. After the procedure I was given 500mg of Cipro and took home two 500 mg Cipro to take for two days. I felt fine after the procedure, but was a little tired and took a nap when I came home, probably because of the Valium more than anything. I had quite a bit of blood in my urine that night and a little blood in my urine for about 2-3 days. I started noticing results in about 8-10 days.

I think this is a pretty good reference for for what expect during and after the procedure:
    How is Botox given? It is taken from:
    http://www.windsorurology.co.uk/Clin...x_Bladder.aspx

The procedure is a day case procedure, so patients are admitted onto the ward on the day that Botox is administered. No drinking or eating is allowed 5 hours before the procedure. No other special preparation is necessary.

Botox can be given either when asleep ('general anaestheisa') or with the bladder made numb ('local anaesthesia') Under a general anaesthetic, a telescope examination of the bladder is performed ('cystoscopy'). The telescope is passed through natural passage ways in the bladder, so there are no incisions. The bladder is examined carefully. Botox is injected into the bladder wall through a special needle passed through the telescope directly. The bladder is emptied afterwards. Sometimes, a catheter is placed to empty the bladder - this is a small tube to drain the bladder that is removed on the ward.
    What should I expect after Botox has been given?

It is possible to eat and drink shortly after the Botox has been given, and you should be able to go home the same day.

You should notice a reduction in the urgency and frequency of going to the toilet to pass urine about 5 days after it has been given. If leakage occurred before Botox, there should be no leakage afterwards. The maximum benefit is obtained about two weeks after the administration of Botox and the total effect lasts for between four and nine months.
    What are the side-effects of Botox?

There are few reported side-effects.

Blood may be seen in the urine after injections of Botox, as a needle penetrates the bladder wall. The blood may appear for a few days, but always wears off after a while. An infection may develop in the urine, but antibiotics are given to avoid this.

Allergic reactions are reported, but again these are very rare.

Very rarely, if Botox is injected directly into a blood vessel, breathing might stop. This would not occur immediately, but be noticed slowly over the next few weeks usually within time to act. Appropriate treatment would be administered.

All the best,
    GJ