Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off-Road handcycle

I wish I had of invested in one of these! I have a lasher ATH and it's great and all but is limited when off road.

very kool!

Quote Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
    I wish I had of invested in one of these! I have a lasher ATH and it's great and all but is limited when off road.
    The ATH is a great idea... but the front wheel drive is super limiting off road.

...which is why I had this built by ReActive Adaptations:

I'll post more about it later... currently on a cross-country road trip.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Show-off....have a safe trip back to your other home
    Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    The ATH is a great idea... but the front wheel drive is super limiting off road.

...which is why I had this built by ReActive Adaptations:

I'll post more about it later... currently on a cross-country road trip.

Those guys at reactive are great. I had discovered them about two weeks after I had ordered my ATH. Looks amazing. Have a great time.

The bike from the first post is a Sport-On Explorer II. I have one of those handcycles and it's great machine, very capable in rough terrain. I always was impressed of their videos, that's why decided to show it. Lot of firms have many different kinds of off-road handcycles in their offer but only the "big three" are prepared to deal with really extreme trails. The big three is:

Sport-On Explorer II www.offroadhandcycle.com/
    Reactive Adaptations Bomber
    Titanium Arts One-Off

I choosen Explorer mostly becouse it have full suspension, modern design, lot of drivetrain options, high class components, is light and is made in Europe (I live in Poland). I have perfect contacts with the owner of Sport-On and I know that they built handbikes for many people from all over the world. For me it was the best possible choice and I will always recomend it to the others. Rock climbing, holes, sands, fast downhill - no problem.

For the other two, probably those are good bikes too, but Explorer is most universal as an climbing/downhill machine.

Recumbent off-road handcycle , looks good and comfortable. Is good for quads or those of us with higher body limitations, but for sure is not as capable in difficult terrain as mentioned "big three", especially on fast downhills. Lasher or similiar FWD delta handbikes cannot even compete with any RWD tadpole handbike. You want to go on paths in the park? take the FWD handbike , will be nice and comfortable. Want something more? forget about FWD and take the real off-road machine!

Quote Originally Posted by borysr View Post

The bike from the first post is a Sport-On Explorer II. I have one of those handcycles and it's great machine, very capable in rough terrain. I always was impressed of their videos, that's why decided to show it. Lot of firms have many different kinds of off-road handcycles in their offer but only the "big three" are prepared to deal with really extreme trails. The big three is:

Sport-On Explorer II www.offroadhandcycle.com/
    Reactive Adaptations Bomber
    Titanium Arts One-Off

I choosen Explorer mostly becouse it have full suspension, modern design, lot of drivetrain options, high class components, is light and is made in Europe (I live in Poland). I have perfect contacts with the owner of Sport-On and I know that they built handbikes for many people from all over the world. For me it was the best possible choice and I will always recomend it to the others. Rock climbing, holes, sands, fast downhill - no problem.

For the other two, probably those are good bikes too, but Explorer is most universal as an climbing/downhill machine.

Recumbent off-road handcycle , looks good and comfortable. Is good for quads or those of us with higher body limitations, but for sure is not as capable in difficult terrain as mentioned "big three", especially on fast downhills. Lasher or similiar FWD delta handbikes cannot even compete with any RWD tadpole handbike. You want to go on paths in the park? take the FWD handbike , will be nice and comfortable. Want something more? forget about FWD and take the real off-road machine!
    Purely awesome! That is sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by borysr View Post
    The Explorer is a great machine, no doubt.

Out of curiosity, how much does the Explorer weigh? It's the largest of all the kneeling offroad handcycles, both width-wise and length-wise by a good margin, and the linkage up front adds extra complexity/mass.

"Universal" is relative. I've seen a ReActive Adaptations Bomber RS downhilled, and it's an extremely capable downhill machine. Front suspension isn't nearly as important as that on the rear (and yes, I've ridden both full and rear-suspension downhill). The places where these bikes struggle is singletrack, as the width of the bike becomes an issue... and again, the Explorer is the widest of the 3 you mentioned... so it's inherently going to be the most limited in that regard.

Recumbent off-road handcycle , looks good and comfortable. Is good for quads or those of us with higher body limitations, but for sure is not as capable in difficult terrain as mentioned "big three", especially on fast downhills.
    That's really difficult to declare, as the ReActive recumbent above is the first production model of its kind. It essentially uses the same frame as the Bomber, and because more weight is over the front wheels, it's actually more stable than the "big three."

Out of curiosity, how much does the Explorer weigh? It's the largest of all the kneeling offroad handcycles, both width-wise and length-wise by a good margin, and the linkage up front adds extra complexity
    My explorer was one of the firsts models and its weight is 26kg, but I know that current models are much lighter, don't know exactly what the difference is but I may ask. I cannot find the bomber weight, but one-off weighs 23kg with smaller wheels and no suspension, so the difference isn't big. Probably bomber with its rear suspension and bigger wheels is even heavier than the one-off but there is no infos on the ractive adapt. site. Beside, who cares about weight with schlumpf mountain drive on board? :-)
    My explorer is 1m width , one-off is 0,88m, no infos on the reactive adapt. site and again difference isn't big ~4" of overall width.
    It's true, maybe is widest but thanks to this and the front suspension is stable on high speed downhills and difficult to rollover.

Front suspension isn't nearly as important as that on the rear (and yes, I've ridden both full and rear-suspension downhill).
    Definitively I cannot agree with this. If you put two bikes, one with only rear suspension and second with only front suspension, I would choose the bike with front suspension for sure. Probably you also would redefine your opinion after few jumps or after fast downhill thru rocky trail.

That's really difficult to declare, as the ReActive recumbent above is the first production model of its kind. It essentially uses the same frame as the Bomber, and because more weight is over the front wheels, it's actually more stable than the "big three."
    Not sure, this kind of handcycle is produced for many years in Australia (grenn speed or something like that) http://www.disaboom.com/handcycling/...h-disabilities
    I'm sure that somewhere in Holland , similiar handcycle is also produced.

Anyway , we do not reach any conclusion by writing on this forum :-) but this is not the point. All the off-road handbikes produced now are great , all have advantages and disadvantages and this is great that we can choose.

I really trying to be objective, but I simply love my bike and wouldn't change it to nothing else.