Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: pics of my solid seat pan

pics of my solid seat pan

I have a tilite aero z series 2
    I started out with a sling plus 1/4in plywood under my cushion which felt too tall for me on my already tall chair.
    I took the plywood out and was using just the sling until it started to sag a lot.
    I had a local metal shop cut me a 14 1/4 x 18 3/4 piece of 1/8th in thick aluminum. Only cost $13.78
    Unbolted the sling and my dad marked out/drilled the holes, rounded the corners, and smoothed out the edges. Bolted it on using the same holes as the sling.
    I love it already. My chair feels more solid and I get the solid pan without the extra height or high cost of carbon fiber and it barely added any weight.

c6 inc since 2-19-11
    ex pro-am motocross racer
    tilite aero z s2

Looking good. Next, you can rout out some channels, like on your footplate, and lighten it even further.

I love this. I hope to try to make my own carbon fiber pan when I get my new colours chair.I bought all my supplies to make it for 80.00

This brings up a question I've had for a while. It looks like when you went from a sling seat to a hard seat, you gained about half an inch of usable seating on each side, because you can now use the area where the tubes for the frame are on the sides for seating, where with the sling you wouldn't be actually sitting on it.

Has that been your experience?

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFiresky View Post
    This brings up a question I've had for a while. It looks like when you went from a sling seat to a hard seat, you gained about half an inch of usable seating on each side, because you can now use the area where the tubes for the frame are on the sides for seating, where with the sling you wouldn't be actually sitting on it.

Has that been your experience?
    I'm not sure I'm following you here 100%, but since you're sitting on the cushion and not directly on the sling/pan, the experience of having a wider seating surface is not the salient one. What I remember noticing most of all is the experience of sitting up taller, and for me, sitting straighter as well.

Great Job! Great Price!!!
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

nice , love it, cheap and good.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

Back in the caveman days, I would slip a piece of 2/4" plywood under my cushion. The pt's at GF strong wuld have a fit saying I was setting my self up for pressure sores. That I was crazy for even thinking of it. Now, they all rant and rave about needing a solid seat pan. I've hated sling seats since day one and always changed them out on a new chair. Befor using aluminum, I used Appeleboard for the seat.

Looking good Wills. I think you'll really like it. You may want to check the bum for a few days just to make sure you are okay. Since you are sitting taller, you may need to back the cog a wee bit.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Looking good. Next, you can rout out some channels, like on your footplate, and lighten it even further.
    The structural integrity could be lost fairly easily. Aluminum would behave differently than cf.