Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: tire/tyre pump electric/battery/rechargable what do you like?

Quote Originally Posted by jackson233 View Post
    I have a Campbell Hausfeld air compressor but I have a terrible time attaching it and then removing it from the Schrader stem, so much so I'm afraid I'll tear the tube (it has a clamp that has to be pinched closed to open the valve)! Any recommendations for an easy to use pump, portable or otherwise?
    You are having the same problem I'm having. The solution is to find an old bicycle pump that has the screw on type attachment to the valve. I foolishly tossed two out cleaning out my garage. Use it to get the first 30 pounds or so of air in and then switch to an easier more effective pump.

I don't know where to find one of those pumps yet, probably online, as the bike shops don't seem to have them.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    I went with one of these for $25 from home depot. Husky 120-volt inflator - model #hy120
    Worked ok, but starting to overheat and having a hard time getting to 100psi
    plus the way the tube fits to the body isn't so great so over time it splits and you have to cut off the end and slowly shorten and re-attach etc.

Time to look again..
    This time gone with a Goodyear heavy duty i8000 120 volt direct drive inflator from walmart $39.27
    Supposed to do 150 psi the Husky above was only rated to 130 psi.

x2 on the Husky. It works great to maintain tire pressures, like pumping from 80-145psi. But it does struggle when doing a tube replacement - ie. from 0 to 145. In fact I give it breaks when doing so, I notice it begins to labour and even smell the piston seals beginning to over-heat. Good bang for the buck, but you get what you pay for. I do like the valve, it is very secure (to the tire) and lets out very little when releasing (I'm a tire pressure nazi, especially on my rugby chairs). While it is rated to 130psi and gauged as such (the numbers stop at 130 but it doesnt "bury the needle"). I get in the vicinity of 150 out of mine when it's cool and well-rested. guess I got a good one. Very short cord. I tend to hop on the couch when doing a flat repair, so keep an extension cord wired behind the couch that I can get at to plug it in. I actually like the short cord, not long enough to drag on the ground when wheeling around with it on your lap. In all honesty it's a POS but I just got sick of paying 2-4 times more for others that crater no matter how you use them. This one I won't feel cheated or tempted to try to fix after a year when the tubing gets crimped or leaks. I am now part of the made-in-china buy-a-new-one super civilization we have created. :/

Anyone have any experience with the handheld cordlesses, specifically the Craftsman? I have other Craftman tools that share the battery so seems a no-brainer for me.

If you want it to be reliable, then oversize the power. This is the one I use. It has plenty of power and has always jump started cars as well as pumped air effortlessly. It's expensive. But you can get a good deal on them when they show up at Costco.

just curious, what pressure are you inflating your tires to ?

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    If you want it to be reliable, then oversize the power. This is the one I use. It has plenty of power and has always jump started cars as well as pumped air effortlessly. It's expensive. But you can get a good deal on them when they show up at Costco.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    just curious, what pressure are you inflating your tires to ?
    120 psi minimum

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    120 psi minimum
    Cheers that's a decent portable option, and I'm guessing you could swap the battery out if the compressor outlasts it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    Time to look again..
    This time gone with a Goodyear heavy duty i8000 120 volt direct drive inflator from walmart $39.27
    Supposed to do 150 psi the Husky above was only rated to 130 psi.

I have one of these, and have no problem getting to 140 psi for my Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires. It is very difficult to screw and unscrew the end of the hose to the valve stem while sitting in the chair, but works well if I get on the bed and pull the wheels off.
    Last edited by Donno; 01-17-2017 at 06:30 PM. Reason: spelling
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Campbell Hausfeld RP 4100

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005CMHUA4..._kgaGybBGC6EEN

I use an open end 7/16" wrench to pop the nozzle off the valve stem.