Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Need Of A Gaming Laptop

In Need Of A Gaming Laptop

I have a budget of around $700 (up to $1000 if need be) that I saved up myself from my VA monthly benefits. I will be using it for gaming (all 3 The Sims series), printing and internet use. The only media on it will be what I purchase from iTunes (music and movies), and pics I upload from my phone and/or digital camera. I am looking for the following specs:

Processor: Intel Core i3, 15 or i7
    RAM: 4GB DDR3
    Hard Drive: at LEAST 250 GB
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce series (EXCEPT the GeForce 6100 and 7100 series...not supported by The Sims 3). 128 MB or more (preferably 1GB or more)
    Screen size: 13-14" (15" is too difficult to travel with)

I have looked at Alienware, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Lenovo, Gateway, etc; anybody BUT HP (I'm not touching them again with a 10 ft pole after a recent, nasty CS phone call with them). Apple is out of the question financially. I just can't afford them right now.

Any ideas?? I have 2 weeks to decide LOL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834152298

That is the cheapest laptop I could find with a NVIDIA 540M graphics card with 2GB (on the graphics card, 6GB RAM on the mobo) and 14 inc screen size. If you go to newegg you can do a search on laptops by graphics card...

BTW, I have a 14inch laptop (well its 13.5 but has the same 1366 x 768 resolution), it is a little cramped for gaming. If you are using this primarily for games I would seriously consider biting the bullet and going 15 inches. That being said, 14in is perfect for travelling, but for gaming?
    Last edited by t8burst; 12-11-2011 at 08:16 PM.

I got a Dell inspironZ14 a few weeks ago. It isnt a gaming computer, but I play sims and sims2 on it. I dont have sims3 yet, but im sure it will work ok with this

It is in your price range, and I am very happy with mine. I think the speakers could be better but everything else is great. I like the back lit keyboard, and it so far, doesnt overheat.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post

BTW, I have a 14inch laptop (well its 13.5 but has the same 1366 x 768 resolution), it is a little cramped for gaming. If you are using this primarily for games I would seriously consider biting the bullet and going 15 inches. That being said, 14in is perfect for travelling, but for gaming?

I know 14" is a little cramped but because of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, carrying anything heavier will cause problems physically.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    I got a Dell inspironZ14 a few weeks ago. It isnt a gaming computer, but I play sims and sims2 on it. I dont have sims3 yet, but im sure it will work ok with this

It is in your price range, and I am very happy with mine. I think the speakers could be better but everything else is great. I like the back lit keyboard, and it so far, doesnt overheat.
    I just re-read your message. I forgot to mention the fact that overheating is the reason I'm replacing this notebook (this was the ONLY reason I even contacted HP who didn't seem to understand that all I need is a battery. Took me an hour to get this thru to them. I got hung up on after being told to take it to a repair shop). THIS just happened 2 weeks ago.

I watch my laptop cords very cafeully now due to a laptop burn that occured about 4 years ago (and the recent intermittent shutdowns my current laptop has been battling with. I have a cooling pad that seems to keep that issue at bay).

I had NO IDEA I had burned a nickel-sized wound on my leg from (I BELIEVE) the cord laying across my lap while wearing jeans, oddly enough (I was born with Spina Bifida Myelomeningocele T9 with zero sensation and movement from my waist down). Left that morning to go to class...came home to a leaking hole in my jeans that I could not figure out where it came from (I normally can tell when I spill drinks on my lap). Went to do my bowel program that night. Undressed and looked at my leg. My wound doctor immediately suggested the tray/cooling pad because she had seen this all the time (surprisingly from people who are NOT disabled).

what about replacing your fan? and dont go to best buy for repairs, they will drop your computer on the floor and still charge you for the new fan, and pretend that the crushed corner and cracked case was that way when you dropped it off.

it cost about a hundred bucks to have a new fan put in. I had it done twice, the computer lasting five years before best buy dropped it.

I picked up this system Tuesday for a total of $680ish after anti-virus software installation and complete setup. plus a 1yr warranty from Best Buy:
    http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/...oid=2000002687

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    what about replacing your fan? and dont go to best buy for repairs, they will drop your computer on the floor and still charge you for the new fan, and pretend that the crushed corner and cracked case was that way when you dropped it off.

it cost about a hundred bucks to have a new fan put in. I had it done twice, the computer lasting five years before best buy dropped it.

Best Buy is our only option for major electronics down here. All other stores don't really have much compared to them.

I got a desktop from Digital Storm over the summer that I really like. They also have laptops. Can get this for $999
    Chassis Model: Digital Storm xm15 Laptop (Model: 5165)
    Display: 15.6 Inch (16:9) (Resolution: 1920 x 1080) (Glossy Surface) LED-Backlit Display
    Processor: Intel Core i5 2430M (2.4 GHz Turbo Mode to 3Ghz) (Dual Core) (3MB Cache)
    Thermal Compound: Stock CPU and GPU Thermal Compound
    Memory: 8GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Primary Hard Drive: 500GB 7200RPM (SATA 3Gb/s)
    Optical Drive: DVD/CD 8x Multi-Drive (Writes and Reads DVDs, CDs)
    Wireless Card: 802.11 B/G/N Wireless LAN Module
    Video Card(s): NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 2GB with NVIDIA Optimus Technology
    Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)

Their website if you wanna have a look http://www.digitalstormonline.com/