Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Please help...parents want to put me in a nursing home

Wow - that robbery sounds very very scary. You are so incredibly lucky that something bad didn't happen to you. Actually, that would freak me out a little if I was your mom. It puts a little different perspective on your parent's fear about you being home alone.

While I agree with the others that it is awful you feel your parents aren't more supportive of keeping you at home, I also agree that now's the time to work your butt of in inpatient therapy and go for the stars. You can do it. You can be completely independent. With your level of injury, you can be independent - walking OR in a wheelchair.

I would love if you could somehow work through these weeks/months and end on ok terms with your parents. Keep talking to them about how they made you feel.

Totally different perspective. I get your mother's worry now.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

None of us are in your shoes, but a lot of us are rooting for you. I'm so glad things are falling into place. As for the nursing home...would one even admit you with your level of independence? Not in Oregon, but I don't know the rules in CA.

Mandy Texted

She said the paramedics were in her room to take her to Cas Colina. She was pretty excited as was I. She asked me to let you know as she was in transit and will post when she gets settled in.

This kid, err young lady, is going to be okay. She has a good idea of who she is and where she wants to go in life. I'm in her corner with the spit bucket as she goes another round in life.

^^^^ Like ^^^^
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Quote Originally Posted by CurvySAT05 View Post
    Oh, and as for some of the posts about the stairs to the front door, I have the ability to get in/out of the house through the garage, back door or side door my moms concern comes because we had our house robbed shortly before my generator was removed and the police think the robbers knocked on the door and I didn't hear it (I was in my room upstairs) and since there was no response they assumed no one was home and broke in through the back window. My step dad had the day off and I thought he was home, so I shrugged off the noise in the backyard and the movement upstairs (DSF is normally very noisy) until the robber opened my bedroom door. When they realized I was home they split really quick. There were 3 distinct shoe prints). That's why being able to respond to the front door was so important to my mom.
    Oh, that makes sense now. Your mother is off the hook. I understand her thinking now.

Hurray! Thanks for the update Patrick.
    LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE...
    Ding Ding Ding

Why not just install ADT or another alarm system that notices when windows are broken or doors jimmied? I agree that finding an apartment or sharing a place is better than staying with your parents.

When your Mom visits you once you're living independantly I hope you run over her feet if she worries about your step-dad not staying home to answer the door...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Thanks Patrick for updating everyone in my absense/transit. I am now updating from the library at Casa Colina. I was very lucky to be admitted here and the nurse who saw me in the acute care hospital was hopeful that we could get 2-3 weeks of treatment here through insurance. If you are interested in contacting me I am in room 1104B and you can call the main hospital and they will put you through to the nurses station who will then transfer you to my bedside phone. I was able to talk to Patrick for a bit after I arrived. The cell coverage here is CRAP, so I was happy to find out they have a patient library where I can log on to the internet.
    Today has been a long day. I got in around 8:00 last night and got settled. I was ready for meds when I got here as my pain meds have been given every 4 hour around the clock to stay on top of my pain. It took a while to get the orders transferred over and approved by my attending physician here. I tried calling Patrick from my cell, but he couldn't really hear me, so I gave him the number for Casa and he called bedside. It was good to talk to a friend and know that somone is on my side. My mom has come to visit me a few times, my dad and step mom came to visit for a few when I was at the acute care hospital the night after I was admitted, and my step dad came to visit me yesterday before I was transported here. I did find out though that he was also there to complain about how he and my mom were treated by the "hospital" when they dropped me off (aka having APS called local PD called, etc) and wanted to have that taken care of. He was almost in tears when I told him that the only "bad" service I had was in the ER and that once I was transferred to my room everyone was amazing, from the nursing care to the PT's. I never ONCE was treated poorly, felt like I was being ignored or not taken seriously, etc.
    I am going to go now as I need to take some pain meds. I don't feel like I can sit in my chair any longer right now. I hope everyone is doing well. Please, if you feel like talking give me a call. I can use some friends right now.
    Mandy
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CurvySAT05 View Post
    Thanks Patrick for updating everyone in my absense/transit. I am now updating from the library at Casa Colina. I was very lucky to be admitted here and the nurse who saw me in the acute care hospital was hopeful that we could get 2-3 weeks of treatment here through insurance. If you are interested in contacting me I am in room 1104B and you can call the main hospital and they will put you through to the nurses station who will then transfer you to my bedside phone. I was able to talk to Patrick for a bit after I arrived. The cell coverage here is CRAP, so I was happy to find out they have a patient library where I can log on to the internet.
    Today has been a long day. I got in around 8:00 last night and got settled. I was ready for meds when I got here as my pain meds have been given every 4 hour around the clock to stay on top of my pain. It took a while to get the orders transferred over and approved by my attending physician here. I tried calling Patrick from my cell, but he couldn't really hear me, so I gave him the number for Casa and he called bedside. It was good to talk to a friend and know that somone is on my side. My mom has come to visit me a few times, my dad and step mom came to visit for a few when I was at the acute care hospital the night after I was admitted, and my step dad came to visit me yesterday before I was transported here. I did find out though that he was also there to complain about how he and my mom were treated by the "hospital" when they dropped me off (aka having APS called local PD called, etc) and wanted to have that taken care of. He was almost in tears when I told him that the only "bad" service I had was in the ER and that once I was transferred to my room everyone was amazing, from the nursing care to the PT's. I never ONCE was treated poorly, felt like I was being ignored or not taken seriously, etc.
    I am going to go now as I need to take some pain meds. I don't feel like I can sit in my chair any longer right now. I hope everyone is doing well. Please, if you feel like talking give me a call. I can use some friends right now.
    Mandy
    What should have had them in tears was the way that they make you feel unwanted and like an embarrassment in your own home. I think that this confirms my original opinion that they are selfish people. How do they think they made you feel? It seems to be all about them.

I am glad that you are in a protected and supportive environment now.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess