Thread: Please help...parents want to put me in a nursing home

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    OMG. As the parent of a 24 year old (and as someone who is in a wheelchair today because my own parents didn't want the trouble of caring for me post-surgery), I'm am really angry with your parents. On the other hand, they're your parents, and I know you love them, so I'm going to keep my big mouth shut about my opinions on that. You have enough to deal with as it is, just with what's going on in this moment.

There is one issue here which might (or might not) be influencing your parents' decisions. If something WERE to happen to you while you were home alone, there is a very strong possiblity that they would be in trouble with Adult Protective Services for neglect of a vulnerable adult. But, like I said, that might or might not be a factor - sometimes people are just weird about stuff like that, so it's hard to tell.

I have to admit, I don't understand how your mom is approaching this...if you were my kid, I'd be going about it differently - but maybe your mom doesn't know that there are any options available. In all the places I've lived, there is a branch of the local Health and Human Services that provides in-home care for people who have difficulty with daily tasks like preparing lunch, dressing, etc. When you call, they have someone come out to your house and interview you to find out what areas you need help in, and then they figure out how (and if) they can help. It's pretty much free for someone on SSI, as I recall. I don't know how long it takes to set up, or whether there is a waiting list in your area - with all the financial woes in California, getting in might take some doing. But it would probably be worth checking into, in case your mom gets weird again, say, if you needed another surgery. There's also something called Adult Daycare. It's totally the wrong place for you, because it's generally used by people who are mentally deficient in some way, so you might die of boredom, but again, if your mom gets weird again it would get you out of the house during the day so she FEELS like she doesn't need to worry. Maybe you could help keep the other clients occupied, or volunteer to help with office work, etc. At any rate, it'd be better than a nursing home, since you could go home in the evening.

I'm sorry I can't be more help. If there was a way to work it, I'd totally say you could stay with us, but there is just no way to get a wheelchair into the (one and only) bathroom here - the stove is in the way. Plus, I'm sure you wouldn't want to be so far from home. So all I can do is send you positive energy for your recovery. At least it sounds like you're where you need to be right now, and that things are moving in a good direction for you. Let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by PhoenixFiresky; 12-11-2011 at 02:31 PM.