Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jellyfish in my bed

Jellyfish in my bed

I figured the title would at least make you look and that IS what it feels like.

Each night when I lay down in bed, I start the night out on my back, watch TV for a few minutes, then roll over onto my left side to go to sleep. Within 30 seconds my whole left side, from mid-back around my shoulder to my chest, up my neck to my ear, starts tingling like a jellyfish sting. OK, maybe not that bad but a similar intense tingling sensation.

That's the only time that it feels this way and it usually disappears within 5-6 minutes. I assume it's some type of pinched nerve.

Anyone have anything similar? Your thoughts?
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

I looked! Arm falling asleep?
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

I agree, it sounds like you are getting root compression from something. You need to have a good exam by your neurologist or perhaps physiatrist, and may need an MRI and/or EMG to determine the cause and if it is treatable or not.

Try putting a thin pillow under your side from the armpit down when you lay on that side. This will take some pressure off your shoulder, and if the problem is compression of your brachial plexis, this may improve the situation. It will also give you more information to share with your physician when you see him/her.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Liz321 View Post
    I looked! Arm falling asleep?
    No, because it starts almost immediately after I roll onto my side. But it does have that similar feeling when your hand or arm is "waking up" from falling asleep.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I agree, it sounds like you are getting root compression from something. You need to have a good exam by your neurologist or perhaps physiatrist, and may need an MRI and/or EMG to determine the cause and if it is treatable or not.

Try putting a thin pillow under your side from the armpit down when you lay on that side. This will take some pressure off your shoulder, and if the problem is compression of your brachial plexis, this may improve the situation. It will also give you more information to share with your physician when you see him/her.

(KLD)
    Thanks KLD, I'll try that. It's not really a problem, nor painful enough to drive me to see a Dr. ye, but I figure something is definitely wrong.

Hey DeadEye,
    what type of mattress are you using and is it getting kind of wore down? try a different side of the bed or something ,
    If you bed is wearing out then your possition could be causing a nearve pinch or something. I know that if I move over just a little in the bed and re-position even by a few inches the tinglinge will go away so I know it is positioning for me..
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by garyv View Post
    Hey DeadEye,
    what type of mattress are you using and is it getting kind of wore down? try a different side of the bed or something ,
    If you bed is wearing out then your possition could be causing a nearve pinch or something. I know that if I move over just a little in the bed and re-position even by a few inches the tinglinge will go away so I know it is positioning for me..
    Gary
    It's a 6 month old Serta and I turn it on a regular basis, so I'm sure that's not the contributing factor. Ski crashes, falls, over-use and old age most likely are!

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    over-use and old age most likely are!
    ......... as you're six months older than me I was too polite to suggest it.

I get that too. I have a Serta memory foam matress as well. I put a pillow against my back and get off of my shoulder, then it stops. Give that a try and see if that helps. Like the nurse said, the direct pressure on the shoulder could be the issue.

I agree with what others have said about the pressure issue. My closet is filled with different types/sizes/shapes of pads and pillows that I need to use at various times to relieve pressure on my brachial plexus. (And sometimes helping the shoulder causes symptoms in the hip, since the balance is so delicate.) I find I have to make regular adjustments, and the key issue is finding a way to bolster and support the area where you're feeling pain, numbness and/or tingling.