Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Size of caster wheels?

Size of caster wheels?

Hi everyone,

New here...hoping to get some feedback on what size caster wheels people like. Daughter (older teen) has 3 inch wheels on her chair right now but I've heard some discussion that larger wheels might give her a smoother ride or make it easier with things like uneven sidewalks and such.

I know that putting bigger wheels on will change the front seat height, but the seat heights on her chair is adjustable so I'm not worried about that.

Thanks,
    Mary

Hi Mary, Welcome. I use the 5x1.5" softrolls on my chair. I live in a rural area so gravel and rocks can pose a risk when wheeling. A lot of folks use the 4x2.5".. Where does your daughter wheel most?

Three inch wheels are mostly used for sports or indoor use. I suggest either a 4" or 5" x 1.5. the billet softroll seems to be the wheel of choice.

I've been on 4" wheels for years. With my new chair (getting an Icon) I am thinking of trying the new 4x1.4" wheels/tires. Very small casters seem to be good for getting up over things, like curbcliming but as I see it larger casters do better with the things you mentioned. Good luck :-)

Mine are 4x1.5 soft rolls...so are my husband's. We love them as they are able to minimize the everyday things we roll over and it keeps the spasms associated with running over said things at a minimum.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

i use 4x1.5 soft roll works pretty good indoors and outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by Mary978 View Post
    Hi everyone,

New here...hoping to get some feedback on what size caster wheels people like. Daughter (older teen) has 3 inch wheels on her chair right now but I've heard some discussion that larger wheels might give her a smoother ride or make it easier with things like uneven sidewalks and such.

I know that putting bigger wheels on will change the front seat height, but the seat heights on her chair is adjustable so I'm not worried about that.

Thanks,
    Mary

Like most people have said thus far, the Froglegs 4x1.4 (aka 4x1.5) caster with aluminum hub is probably the most popular, for good reason. The 5x1.4 is a great choice, too.

Going from 3" to 4" will lift the front end by .5". There may be an alternate hole in the fork assembly for you to use for mounting a larger caster without changing the front height. There may even be enough alternate mounting holes in the forks to allow an easy shift from 3" to 5" casters. My Quickie GT has 3 holes, one for 3, 4 and 5" casters, respectively.

I'd try 4x1.4 Froglegs on her chair, aluminum hub.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Having had my head in the sand through the years and not keeping up with chairs, I continued to use 8" casters as I did from the day I came from rehab in '82, until 2 years ago when I got with the times; I now have the aforementioned 4 x 1.5 inch Frog Leg casters that others have mentioned. As one would expect, the 8" (pneumatic) casters went through stuff much better than the 4", but being older now this is a small percentage of my time.

Being that your daughter is a teen, I would consider getting casters as big as you can.

My next chair I plan to get 5" casters and see how I like them.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

I know the newish and trendy caster size is getting smaller and smaller (complete with flashing lights even!) but I still prefer the larger ones too. On my manual chair I have six inch diameter now and I would not want to go any smaller than that. The eight inch are even better, not getting stuck in sidewalk cracks, grates, and elevator lips.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary978 View Post
    I've heard some discussion that larger wheels might give her a smoother ride or make it easier with things like uneven sidewalks and such.
    Mary
    That`s right, specially if they are softroll casters by froglegs, if she`s using now 3 go for 4x1.4" or 5x1.5".

I started with 3" wheels because I thought they were cool and trendy and I'm vain. I am now happily (and much more functionally and practically) running 5x1s. They aren't big enough to get in the way, but they go happily over little bumps and cracks that would stop 3" casters dead.