Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pool chair for wheeling straight into pool?

why couldn't you use a shower chair?

That was my original thought a shower chair, but most have holes through them as they are commode chairs, need something with a flat seat bottom.

Ya, I guess the salt water is going to really screw up the chair. I need to give this more thought. It's too bad the available PVC chairs don't have armrests, it looks like those would really get in the way with transfer in and out of the chair.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Davids shower chair wasn't cheap. I can't remember what we paid for it but it has a cover that you can put over the opening. It's a Aquatec.

yes, thats the other problem with shower chairs is they expensive. It may end up coming down to the way I have always went swimming and that is transerring down to a chaise lounge chair and then from that transferring to the ground and then bumping my butt down the steps into the water. The biggest thing I dislike about doing it this way has aways been the final transfer getting back into the wheelchair from the chaise lounge chair, especially after being burned out after doing laps of swimming. Not easy.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Yea, I agree, nothing with this is cheap. We ended up finding a pool lift on ebay so I can easily lift David in and out cause like you said after awhile in there he is done for the day.

Sorry, but you should not roll into a pool with any chair that has any oil/grease lubricated parts. They would be within their rights to deny you access in that manner due to concerns over oil slick.
    Also, it is unlikely you could wheel out from a depth that would enable you to float into the chair. Buoyancy will prevent you from generating any traction. It might work if the chair was weighted and you backed in so that you could push against the backrest on the way out. But that's a big if. You might find yourself in trouble and unable to get back up the ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by MSspouse View Post
    Sorry, but you should not roll into a pool with any chair that has any oil/grease lubricated parts. They would be within their rights to deny you access in that manner due to concerns over oil slick.
    Also, it is unlikely you could wheel out from a depth that would enable you to float into the chair. Buoyancy will prevent you from generating any traction. It might work if the chair was weighted and you backed in so that you could push against the backrest on the way out. But that's a big if. You might find yourself in trouble and unable to get back up the ramp.
    Ya, I think you are probably right, I was trying to figure out a more easy way of getting in and out and looks like I may end up just doing it the way I've always done it. I pleaded with the builders to put in a lift but there was no way they were going to spend the money to do so. I guess if I could loose a few pounds it will make all this easier, so my goal, loose 20 pounds, lol. I think if I also bring a spare cushion with me that will help out as that way when I go from the ground to the chaise lounge that will make for a more easy transfer with two cushion stacked on top of each other. The Chaise lounge is kinda on the high side so the tranfer from it back to the chair should not be that much of a problem.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by MSspouse View Post
    I would think that most chairs now have sealed bearings and wouldn't leak (as long as you aren't adding any lube). If necessary, you could probably even swap with some plastic style bearings. As far as getting out, maybe there's something on the outside that you could tie a rope to. Then you could pull yourself out. Of course, before you get a chance, I'm sure someone will push you.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Kulea View Post
    I would think that most chairs now have sealed bearings and wouldn't leak (as long as you aren't adding any lube). If necessary, you could probably even swap with some plastic style bearings. As far as getting out, maybe there's something on the outside that you could tie a rope to. Then you could pull yourself out. Of course, before you get a chance, I'm sure someone will push you.
    It still is in my mind a better way of getting in and out of the pool. I'll be away for the next three weeks so I've got time to think about it. Like you said the bearings do have seals and I was thinking about sealing them even further with a coat of RTV over the seals. I still have not completely ruled out a el cheap chair and just try to seal everything up with RTV. I just don't want to see anybody get nervous when I take the chair into the pool, that is about my main concern. And yes I could not back out up the ramp with the chair I'm sure somebody would help out push me in it out. Sometimes it gets to be too much with people wanting to help when they see me going for a swim. If I was a low para I would not have much trouble getting to the ground from the chair and back up, but with no trunk muscles it aint easy, can be done, but not very enjoyable.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

When I used to go to a municipal pool with a ramp, they supplied the chair to wheel in and out. You transferred to their chair and the pool staff wheeled you in and out. Our pools here have lifts, but you still need staff assistance.
    C-6/7 incomplete