Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pool chair for wheeling straight into pool?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pool chair for wheeling straight into pool?

Anybody use this method for getting into a swimming pool. The pool where I live here in Florida was recently opened and on one end of the pool it has a gentle slope into it. I'm thinking if I had waterproof chair I could ride right into it. I've done a little research, what is out there seems real expensive, I just might build my own out of pvc piping. Heres a picture of the pool. Anybody get into a pool using this method?
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Curt, I have yet to roll into a pool, I usally go up to the double grab bars that people exit from and lower myself. There are however somewhat affordable pool wheelchairs. They run around $390 , check out the link below, that's the most popular pool wheelchair out there. If you can't purchase direct from them, hit me up. I have a small dme store and I can help you good luck. If you do decide to build a pvc pool wheelchair. please send me a pick good luck. Nick http://www.healthlinemedical.com/product_info.php?products_id=152

Quote Originally Posted by nmireles View Post
    Curt, I have yet to roll into a pool, I usally go up to the double grab bars that people exit from and lower myself. There are however somewhat affordable pool wheelchairs. They run around $390 , check out the link below, that's the most popular pool wheelchair out there. If you can't purchase direct from them, hit me up. I have a small dme store and I can help you good luck. If you do decide to build a pvc pool wheelchair. please send me a pick good luck. Nick http://www.healthlinemedical.com/product_info.php?products_id=152
    Thanks, I had come across that chair, not crazy about the armrests, look like they'd get in the way for sure with transfers, don't like the seat either. The price is cheap enough though, though I'd seen it listed somewhere at 650 though not 390. If I build something I'd do it with no armrests and a flat seat that is easy to slide on and off.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Hippocampe was designed for rolling in and out of water. They had a 'light' version at the Expo that I thought might work well for pools. It was long enough to navigate 3-5 underwater steps without too much trouble.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Hippocampe was designed for rolling in and out of water. They had a 'light' version at the Expo that I thought might work well for pools. It was long enough to navigate 3-5 underwater steps without too much trouble.
    Thanks Dale, I had come across that chair, it is huge money at $2800.00. There are actually no steps to navigate as it is sloped all the way down. It's strange too with that chair your talking about there are no push rims, it looks like it was mainly meant to be pushed by someone, I want to be able to do this independently.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Thanks Dale, I had come across that chair, it is huge money at $2800.00. There are actually no steps to navigate as it is sloped all the way down. It's strange too with that chair your talking about there are no push rims, it looks like it was mainly meant to be pushed by someone, I want to be able to do this independently.

$2800?!?!?!? Holy crap, that's way too much for just getting in and out of a pool!

I tried 2 out at Expo and it was pushable from the rear tires, but really does seem to be geared toward parents of younger disabled kids that want to 'take them with them' off road and to the beach, etc.

Here is a PVC chair the folks at the beach around here will give out. I bet you could make this for pretty reasonable $.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

I just use a cheap transport chair to get in and out and then have someone pull it out for me so it's not sitting in the water the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by iburkhart13 View Post
    I just use a cheap transport chair to get in and out and then have someone pull it out for me so it's not sitting in the water the whole time.
    I've thought about that, could get something like that for around 150 bucks and it probabley would be good to get it out of the water so other people are not running into it. Knowing my luck I'd get sued if somebody stubbed their toe on the chair in the water, lol.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I'd find an old clunker someone is getting rid of and use it.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

I used something like this when I was doing aquatic therapy. I thought at the time it would be pretty easy to make w/ pipes. The arms pulled up, or away, but it took a few weeks of tricky transfers before we figured out the trick.

http://www.sportaid.com/anthros-medi...heelchair.html
    T7-8 since Feb 2005