Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tire Questions

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    Any thoughts on Schrader v Presta valves?
    I don't think it really makes a difference, if anything the Presta on my handcycle and old race bike(pre-sci)always need air, i ride my handcylce almost everyday and have to fill the tires at least every other day. I can go for about a week with the schrader on my wheelchair and rr. I run them @130psi and they'll get down around 100-110 by the end of the week. My handcycle are darn near flat after a week.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    I don't think it really makes a difference, if anything the Presta on my handcycle and old race bike(pre-sci)always need air, i ride my handcylce almost everyday and have to fill the tires at least every other day. I can go for about a week with the schrader on my wheelchair and rr. I run them @130psi and they'll get down around 100-110 by the end of the week. My handcycle are darn near flat after a week.
    Something is wrong with your presta valves, because i don`t have problems with my handcycle with presta, i inflate them every 7-10 days.

Update: Went with Marathon Evolution Reflex, mostly because the reflective strip was a strong selling point to this highway crossing night crawler. Love them! Don't know how they do in alerting drivers to my presence, but I know that as a driver I've come pretty close to invisible pedestrians before my headlights picked them up.

I also wanted max wear resistance and the anti-puncture was a plus.

I got new tubes for the 1" tires. Tubes and tires went on in a few minutes.

Looking at the tires, the tread appears directional. Schwalbe says no.

Only regret is that I didn't start running 1" high pressure tires sooner.

Thanks for all the great input!
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

That's great to hear, Foolish! Keep them topped off @145psi every couple weeks to avoid sidewall cracks and maximize puncture resistance and they should last you a good long while. Congrats on the upgrade! If you gotta roll...might as well roll in style on fly rubber! Cheers!

(I always put mine on with the arrows pointing forward...never knew it didn't matter. I guess I'll start flipping them to even out what little wear occurs.)

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Best hand powered high pressure tire pump? Vendor?
    Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Best hand powered high pressure tire pump? Vendor?
    is there even a good one?

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    That's great to hear, Foolish! Keep them topped off @145psi every couple weeks to avoid sidewall cracks and maximize puncture resistance and they should last you a good long while. Congrats on the upgrade! If you gotta roll...might as well roll in style on fly rubber! Cheers!

(I always put mine on with the arrows pointing forward...never knew it didn't matter. I guess I'll start flipping them to even out what little wear occurs.)
    Why does full inflation help prevent sidewall cracks? It sounds counter-intuitive. Wouldn't increased pressure cause greater stress to and breaking down of the rubber? Learn me, Dale.

Also, I use an Campbell-Hausfeld electric compression pump. Is there any reason to question the accuracy of the pressure gauge reading?

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    is there even a good one?
    The pedicab depot in Key West let me top up using the one they used. It was a multiple stage floor model with a big gauge. Few easy pumps got me to 55lbs. Wish I had looked to see the brand and model.

I have a 4 h.p. compressor. It's kind of overkill for WC tires. Most of the time I notice I need air is when I'm sitting on the couch. Always forget when I'm in the shop.
    Foolish

Has anyone ordered from the Schwalbe.com website? I'm especially interested in hearing the experience of anyone who has ordered from and shipped to the U.S.A.
    Oh please don't! I did order directly from them once and it was a miserable experience. Their ordering form (at the time) was confusing and I ended up with one very high priced tire. What the heck am I going to do with ONE tire?

Sportaid came to the rescue and sold me a single and I will always be grateful to them for that. I recommend buying from Sportaid. By the way, I have the Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Never had a flat and it's freaky how long they last. When I change my current pair I will check the note I made on my calender when I put them on. I don't know if it will be a year or a year and half or heck, even longer. Hard as hell to mount though, keep that in mind. I've never struggled with another tire like that.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Oh please don't! I did order directly from them once and it was a miserable experience. Their ordering form (at the time) was confusing and I ended up with one very high priced tire. What the heck am I going to do with ONE tire?

Sportaid came to the rescue and sold me a single and I will always be grateful to them for that. I recommend buying from Sportaid. By the way, I have the Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Never had a flat and it's freaky how long they last. When I change my current pair I will check the note I made on my calender when I put them on. I don't know if it will be a year or a year and half or heck, even longer. Hard as hell to mount though, keep that in mind. I've never struggled with another tire like that.
    Ha! The exact same thing happened to me - I ordered ONE tire (not a pair) from Schwalbe directly for more than a pair cost from Sportaid. It was very irritating. In my defense, this was about 5 minutes before Sportaid started carrying Marathon Plus tires.