Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tire Questions

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    JFYI, the first numbers in the tire size are width of tire, that's while you need a new tube, you're going from a 37mm wide to a 25mm wide tire. If your just using the wire wheel, the RR's are a piece of cake to change. make sure you put some "good" rim tape on the rim before installing new tube/tire, that is a big key to no flats.
    looking at the tilite order form, the tilite wire wheels come NCO with Primo vtrack 25-540, so fit should be fine with RR.

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    I've gone through a couple of pairs of both Marathons and Right Runs. The Marathons are heavy, but they are bullet proof. I didn't notice any particular increase in tracking dirt/debris inside.

The Right Runs are very nice, but I don't think they last much longer than Primos.

Both have good puncture resistance (but I don't roll around in goatheads and thorns if I can help it).

ETA: Patrick's right, the Marathons are harder on the hands than the Right Runs.
    That's a little disappointing. I go through tires pretty fast. Had hoped the RR's might last a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by radio_buddha View Post
    I've recently gone back to 37540 after a few years of high pressure 25540 tires.

I run my 37540 tires at 80 PSI. Listed is 55 PSI so I'm way beyond any right to complain if this thing ever explodes. I think my chair has far more control on a realistic surfaces (everywhere except shopping mall and home) than it did with Right Runs at 145 PSI.

I'm happy with it. Easier to grip the tire. My hands are not black anymore. Not sure why I left these goofy everyday gray in the first place. Probably because I thought they were goofy. The thing is, nobody notices except my arms and hands.

Live simply so you can simply live is the philosophy I seem to have evolved out of the chaos of having every cool thing on my ZRA and not living as well as I should've.

Think about it before changing tires. Put them on a second set of wheels to experiment.
    I do try to live simply. Chairs have always stayed pretty stock. I did spend a lot of time tweaking my basketball chair, but that's glory day history. I'd like to give the high pressure tires a shot.

I don't have spare wheels for this chair, and it's unlikely that I will buy another set. I hate keeping all that stuff around - got way too much already. If whatever tire I get doesn't work out, I'll just grin and bear it until it's time for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by paramoto View Post
    F.O., I just bought a Ti Lite Aero X and for the week long trip to pick it up (a few days vacation as well) I had no back up chair, spares or tools. I got a flat tire on a saturday afternoon and had nothing to fix it with as I normally use Spox solid tires. I took it to a bicycle shop and the guy blew the tube while trying to fix it. It became a two day nightmare as no walmart, target, toys r us, or any other store you could think of that is open saturday or sunday had the tube available. I will never use a tube again in my wheelchair. The ride on the solid tires is pretty comparable to the tubed one, they last forever and require no maintenance. I am not sure about taking it off the road.
    Rolled a zillion miles, and have only gotten stranded with a flat once. That worked out OK, but I learned a little. Before I went to Costa Rica, I put on rough tread and foam inserts. Funny thing was that when I returned, I picked up a roofing nail in the Miami airport. It was the hurricane country kind with a disc to give extra hold-down to the roofing felt. The disc must have held it point upright. I'm surprised I didn't notice it. But you know how it is dodging people in a crowded airport. Gotta keep your eyes up. The nail was deep into the tire. It was cool to just pull it out and roll on. I do prefer an air filled tire for all other reasons. HATE the solid hard plastic ones I've tried. Teeth chattering drops off high curbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    JFYI, the first numbers in the tire size are width of tire, that's while you need a new tube, you're going from a 37mm wide to a 25mm wide tire. If your just using the wire wheel, the RR's are a piece of cake to change. make sure you put some "good" rim tape on the rim before installing new tube/tire, that is a big key to no flats.
    looking at the tilite order form, the tilite wire wheels come NCO with Primo vtrack 25-540, so fit should be fine with RR.
    I've used rim tape on my "everyday" tires. The bike shop calls it "thorn resistant." Good info on needing the different tubes.

Could almost swear that the chair came with 24 3/8 tires, but maybe not. I've been through several sets of replacement tires since then, all of which I am certain have been 24 3/8.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

I live up in Deland. We have sand burrs here. I have had a set of Marathons for a couple years. I don't get the punctures from the burrs like I did from most other tires. My choice before the Marathons were Kenda knobbies. I don't do much side walk pushing with my chair: woods, grass, gravel. THe marathons have lasted well. I use to get maybe 6 months out of the Kendas. Its a little harder to climb a curb with the marathons, sand sucks a little worse. The worse thing I see about the marathon is the cracking of the side walls, but it appears to be cosmetic.
    I also have my marathons on the old 1 3/8 rim so can only inflate them to 90 psi or I blow them off the rim. I had to get 1 inch tubes also.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    I live up in Deland. We have sand burrs here. I have had a set of Marathons for a couple years. I don't get the punctures from the burrs like I did from most other tires. My choice before the Marathons were Kenda knobbies. I don't do much side walk pushing with my chair: woods, grass, gravel. THe marathons have lasted well. I use to get maybe 6 months out of the Kendas. Its a little harder to climb a curb with the marathons, sand sucks a little worse. The worse thing I see about the marathon is the cracking of the side walls, but it appears to be cosmetic.
    I also have my marathons on the old 1 3/8 rim so can only inflate them to 90 psi or I blow them off the rim. I had to get 1 inch tubes also.
    Thanks, BFD!!! It looks like the Marathon Evo has a reflective sidewall - which would be a great thing to have when crossing U.S. 1 before the sun rises.
    Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

IMO, if you are in sticker and burr places get the Marathons, if not too concernced about them get the RR's. For me, they last much, much linger than Primos.

All my rims are shod with RR or Marathon Evo Plus tires. The Marathons are minimum 2 years old and 1 set is pushing 4. Still working fine. That, to me, is far and away worth a tad extra weight and expense. I've never noticed any discomfort using them, personally. The tread is fine to my touch, though rougher than RRs they aren't "rough", at all, IMO.

(They are directional and if you put them on backwards i guess they could feel rougher.)

The RRs last ~6mos, are thinner and shorter off the top of the rim. Either way you go, if you go with the high pressure Schwalbes, maintaining 145psi is important for the puncture resistance and rolling resistance. Marathons kept @ 145psi feel like MUCH lighter tires, IMO. I think going from 1 3/8" 'greys' to RRs would feel drastically different to the hand, and lower the rear by just a tad (since RRs are shorter than 1 3/8 greys...with your TR being fixed rear, you may notice a little 'caster bump' when the forks rotate due to this if you go with a shorter tire). The Marathons are more of a direct replacement for the bigger tires you're using now, IMO, while greatly enhancing performance.

If you don't mind the size and weight of what you're using now, the minor difference between RRs and Marathons isn't gonna matter. My money says Marathons for you, even though at the end of the day I think I prefer the RRs because they do have just a bit less resistance, especially when the psi drops close to 85-100ish. Knowing the kind of rolling resistance and feel your current tires are providing, however, the Marathons will seem like the future has arrived and you won't have to think about tires again for years.

YMMV.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    IMO, if you are in sticker and burr places get the Marathons, if not too concerned about them get the RR's. For me, they last much, much linger than Primos.
    Thanks, Patrick. I do occasionally roll among some sharp objects.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    All my rims are shod with RR or Marathon Evo Plus tires. The Marathons are minimum 2 years old and 1 set is pushing 4. Still working fine. That, to me, is far and away worth a tad extra weight and expense. I've never noticed any discomfort using them, personally. The tread is fine to my touch, though rougher than RRs they aren't "rough", at all, IMO.

(They are directional and if you put them on backwards i guess they could feel rougher.)

The RRs last ~6mos, are thinner and shorter off the top of the rim. Either way you go, if you go with the high pressure Schwalbes, maintaining 145psi is important for the puncture resistance and rolling resistance. Marathons kept @ 145psi feel like MUCH lighter tires, IMO. I think going from 1 3/8" 'greys' to RRs would feel drastically different to the hand, and lower the rear by just a tad (since RRs are shorter than 1 3/8 greys...with your TR being fixed rear, you may notice a little 'caster bump' when the forks rotate due to this if you go with a shorter tire). The Marathons are more of a direct replacement for the bigger tires you're using now, IMO, while greatly enhancing performance.

If you don't mind the size and weight of what you're using now, the minor difference between RRs and Marathons isn't gonna matter. My money says Marathons for you, even though at the end of the day I think I prefer the RRs because they do have just a bit less resistance, especially when the psi drops close to 85-100ish. Knowing the kind of rolling resistance and feel your current tires are providing, however, the Marathons will seem like the future has arrived and you won't have to think about tires again for years.

YMMV.
    I inferred from BFD's post that I might not be able to use very high pressure running 25-540's with these rims. Is this something to consider when choosing?

I'm leaning to the Marathons, especially if I can get the Reflex Evo at a decent price. I'm an upper body bull, so I'm not too concerned with small increases in rolling resistance or weight if there are compensating advantages. Minor roughness wouldn't bother my hands, they are used to hard use. Still, I'm not wanting a tire so rough as to mandate wearing gloves.
    Foolish

Any thoughts on Schrader v Presta valves?
    Foolish

I have old rims: 30 years so they are wider than the new stuff. I think I caught you have newer rims. That is why I can't get the marathons over 90 psi. They are really loud when they explode. By the third explosion I figured out the pressure,"DUH". I have presta's only because its what I could find for 1" tubes. They work but you need to carry the adapter with you. Next set I'll go back to schraders.

Presta all the way. No moving parts to let the air out. Pressure stays put far longer. It's a superior valve.

As for the adapter, take two fuckitols and don't worry about it.

Compressors are very bad for pneumatic tubes. You're better off with a good installation and regular pressure maintenance.

@bfd: You have a different problem. It's not your valve. Presta is used in professional cycling. They use pressures up to 250 PSI. There's a reason they don't use Schrader. That's because Schrader sucks. Quite a few people here use 145 PSI on normal days. It's probably your installation. Maybe get new rims. PSI is really the force exerted against the side wall. If your rims can't handle it, you need new rims.
    Last edited by radio_buddha; 12-08-2011 at 10:18 PM.