Thread: Walking quad seeking help

Walking quad seeking help

I am a "walking quadriplegic" and I ran across your site, wondering what might be out there on the web about other people who might be like me and I am always wondering what might be possible to help my brain make further progress toward re connecting the electrical impulses to my muscles, (as the neurologist explained to me that my brain was having to find a new path around the scar tissue of the infarction one thread at a time) so I can get back to full body function and control. I am 55 and was paralyzed by one too many neck adjustments from a chiropractor seven years ago, on June 6, 2004. I was diagnosed with an infarction on my spinal cord at C7 and at the time had lost all feeling and movement below the nipple line of my chest, as well as the basic use of both hands being classified as a quadriplegic. I was in the hospital at St. Davids of Austin, TX for 27 days to learn how to manage life in a wheel chair and continued rehabilitation for several months after, until my insurance decided that I and my progress had "plateaued" and treatment was haulted. During the early weeks, I had made enough progress that the doctors decided that I would be a good candidate for Bio Feedback treatment from Dr. Bruckner of Miami, FL who had a unit doing study at St. Davids and I was able to regain about 10 to 15 percent signal to my legs and after only 130 days was able to start standing and begin walking with crutches. I continued as long as the insurance allowed and made enough progress to go on a ride check with a state trooper and was given my drivers license back with no restrictions. I never quit working. After the initial 27 days in the hospital, I had the guys at work put my desk up on cinder blocks, so I could get under it in my wheel chair. As time has gone by, I have been forced to change jobs three times , but so far have remained in my original industry, selling parts for large track mounted trenching machines, and currently work from my home office in Crowley, TX for a manufacturer out of Loudon, TN and travel every other week in a territory covering CA to FL and up to CO and have recently made a trip to Alberta, Canada as well. I try to lead as normal a life as possible, but still have several issues not having any pain sensory at all and very little feeling, still today below the chest. I have regained maybe another 5 or 10 percent of signal to my legs through the years, but still can only walk about 1,000 feet or 15 minutes, which ever comes first. I still have a neurogenic bladder and have to self cath 7 to 10 times a day and my "walking" is really just a controlled fall forward while doing a stomach crunch to maintain balance while upright. Is there anything out there that you know of to facilitate the stimulation of the signal connection between the brain and muscles, in cases of an infarction on the spinal cord?
    Kevin Wood
    11829 Balliol Lane
    Crowley, TX 76036
    cell: 512-971-5270
    email: kwoodbg7@yahoo.com

Hi Kevin,
    I am also a walking quad, but I have been fortunate in having all of my muscles have most of their strength return within one year post SCI. So, I can't give a testimonial for any technique. However, from reading these posts, if I were you, I would look into FES, Functional Electrical Stimulation. Good luck.
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

Hi Kevin

Sorry - I don't have the ultimative tip to stimulate nerve signals.
    I am 53 and am "walking quad" since 33 years ( C5/6). The first 10 years my walking speed was quite good, today i need 1 h for ca 1000m with a KAFO right and two crutches.
    I use a cross trainer for my daily training, it is a good streching exercise (my main problem because of my strong spasm). If a cross trainer ist too "difficult" try a home trainer (bicycle).

sorry my poor english

Klaus

Hmm, well there's lots that you have to keep working on. Both exercises targeting specific muscles (quads, hamstrings, hip flexors, dorsi flexors - how are these firing for you?) and repetition of walking.

Dr. Wise has an article on here that, summarized, basically states that different types of training – to build muscle strength and endurance – are great workouts and obviously good for anybody, however, where neurological impairment (SCI) affects walking, the greatest recovery of walking occurs in individuals who repeat walking patterns. This repetition either allows the brain to overcome “learned non-use” by relearning how to activate muscles used in the walking sequence, or it creates peripheral neuro-pathways to do this.

If you can get on a weight assisted treadmill, it could be helpful.

I post videos on this sight of myself walking so I can get feedback from the Community that my PTs haven't thought of. You might try that too.

Feel free to ask me anything by PM.