Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not accessible store/business: make a lawsuit and get paid $500

Not accessible store/business: make a lawsuit and get paid $500

If you live in NY, NJ or PA, please read.

Hi, for anybody in Wheelchair, i'm glad to share this pleasant experience.
    During the last big ability expo in NJ this year, there was a booth of some attorneys from FL......well what they do is suing the not accessible stores/business in the above 3 states and for every time they either win or make a plea or deal, they get their money and pay me $500.
    Whoever is interested of their contact, just email me and i will forward you.
    Last edited by gigio; 12-11-2011 at 07:15 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    My new life started about five years ago.
    C4-5 incomplete

I know this is controversial..(never heard of getting paid for it) but this activity is the reason South Florida is as accessible as it is..go to Lincoln road and can get in all the restuarants and bathrooms..Ocean Drive, Hollywood beach..pretty much all the best places are made to be accessible up to 10years post ADA 1992 because fo a group of individuals and lawyers who did file cases and force them to be so. I have contacted them (American with disabilities Association at the time) myself and have been responsible for the Doral Spa and le Tub in Hollywood becoming accessible..so enjoy!
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

my email direct is: luigio1@live.com
    C4-5 incomplete

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    well, how much of the $500 would I get? seems the person filing the complaint should get it, not you.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    well, how much of the $500 would I get? seems the person filing the complaint should get it, not you.
    I guess I did not explain well...you will get the place fixed and the whole 500....
    The Law Firm will get whatever...don't know and don't care.
    C4-5 incomplete

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    those lawyers would have a hay day around here, I can easily name a dozen places not accessible that have opened in just the last year, several are even restaurants.

Do you sue for issues other than sheer accessibility? Things like- sink heights, improper parking spaces, stadium seating in brand new theaters? If you do, we'll both make some money.......
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Herco16 View Post
    Do you sue for issues other than sheer accessibility? Things like- sink heights, improper parking spaces, stadium seating in brand new theaters? If you do, we'll both make some money.......
    i'm not the one sueing...but no....sorry
    C4-5 incomplete

Wow! I was at that Abilities Expo in the New York Metro area. I wish I had seen that particular booth. I was there for two days, but ran out of steam towards the end. There's so much to do that even if I had had three days, I am not sure I could have seen everything.

Sherocks, Gigio, and anyone else who has done these suits, thank you so much! I really can't tell you how much it means.

Do any of you happen to have the name of a lawyer or firm in Southern Maine that brings these suits or a website that might provide that information? Getting paid is not important to me. I am just constantly outraged by accessibility issues and 2012 is going to be the year that I do something! Any help would be much appreciated!

The most serious, life-altering problems I have had in the past with accessibility, involved workplace issues. The nonprofit I interned for in Washington DC was completely inaccessible, located in a four-story brownstone that had a full flight of stairs out front. I was using crutches at the time, so I forced myself to walk up three flights each day to make it to my desk. My next job, which was as a sexual assault victim advocate, was actually fairly accessible, with appropriate parking and on the first level of the building. However, the bathroom wasn't up to code, and there were no electronic doors. I worked almost entirely from home on a hotline and making hospital calls for forensic work, so it wasn't really a problem. Another internship I held simultaneously with my job as an advocate, had accessible parking, but the building had a crumbling ramp that led to an impossibly heavy door. My office was on the first floor, but was very difficult to move around inside, but did have an accessible bathroom.

I now realize that all of the places I worked for or interned for, while nonprofits, received large federal grants. I believe this means that they have to bring their buildings up to ADA code. I wish I had known that when I was still working. It is really tough to try to get a job or internship and at the same time mention something like, "well you're not in compliance with the ADA, so I'm going to bring a complaint against you so that I can actually work here." How does that work? I know that you can bring a complaint with the Access Board. It seems like by the time you made a complaint and it was processed, and the building was brought up to code, you would have had to find a job or internship somewhere else. It sucks. This would definitely not deter me from making a complaint in the future, though.

I can see that this particular thread is about suits that pertain to businesses, not workplaces, and that is definitely something that I am interested in learning more about and involving myself in. Again, more information on lawyers bringing these suits in the Southern Maine area is appreciated. Thanks!
    In our world constituted of differences of all kinds, it is not the disabled, but society at large that needs special education...to become a genuine society for all. -Frederic Major, Former UNESCO Director General

Oh yeah. I remember when sherocks did that w a lawyer that was a quad. They visited restaurants checking bathroom accessibility, only she was paid $100. each place.

Ft Lauderdale a1a has bunches of stores still inaccessible but I noticed a sign in a store window that they have a deadline to fix things. Good! Bc I was so pissed I couldn't get in an ice team store wo help! Seriously, we are lucky here bc most places are wc accessible, it's time everywhere else is.
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~