Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pressure sore

Pressure sore

I am not doing a search because I am afraid I will run across some pictures of someones sore that I don't want to see.

I have a spot on the outer edge of my foot that I am not sure what to do with. Actually I have had this sore for a few weeks. Now I have one on the other foot. The first one was more like a callous feeling thing with some tiny black spots underneath. It seems to be very painful as my nerve pain, foot spasms have been crazy.
    The one on the other foot which I just noticed last night is smaller, maybe the size of a nickel. Feels like a callous but underneath the skin is solid black. What do I do?
    I have been having a lot of other health issues that I think are contributing to this.
    I am sure I got them from the way my feet sit on my footplate, they turn out and all of the pressure goes on that one spot. I have put memory foam over the plate and I am being careful not to go without shoes and to make sure my shoes are not tight.
    But how to care for this? Is it going to open? Do I need to get to the doctor or just deal with it?
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

If you're trying to baby it and progress is still hard going...yeah, better safe than sorry. Sooner you start the correct healing process the smaller the hiccup for the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    I am not doing a search because I am afraid I will run across some pictures of someones sore that I don't want to see.

I have a spot on the outer edge of my foot that I am not sure what to do with. Actually I have had this sore for a few weeks. Now I have one on the other foot. The first one was more like a callous feeling thing with some tiny black spots underneath. It seems to be very painful as my nerve pain, foot spasms have been crazy.
    The one on the other foot which I just noticed last night is smaller, maybe the size of a nickel. Feels like a callous but underneath the skin is solid black. What do I do?
    I have been having a lot of other health issues that I think are contributing to this.
    I am sure I got them from the way my feet sit on my footplate, they turn out and all of the pressure goes on that one spot. I have put memory foam over the plate and I am being careful not to go without shoes and to make sure my shoes are not tight.
    But how to care for this? Is it going to open? Do I need to get to the doctor or just deal with it?
    Last edited by NoDecafPlz; 12-06-2011 at 11:44 AM.
    And the truth shall set you free.

C, get yourself to a wound care doctor. Better to deal with it now than to have a tunneling mess on your feet.

Sorry you are dealing with this.

If your feet are rolling out onto their sides than perhaps you need to change either your footrests, your cushion or the dump of your chair.

The black coloration which you describe is most concerning.

It's just what my feet decided to do after sci. NO amount of stretching, standing, or repositioning changes it. I've tried footplates, shoes, etc. I have the footplate with the curved sides to try to hold them in place.
    Ok I'll go.... uggggg
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

External foot rotation like this sometimes occurs due to external rotation at the hip. Using a thigh strap to hold your knees together in your chair may help. I would agree you need to do something different with shoes and foot plates as well as looking at how your feet position in bed. Do they also externally rotate there? Do you wear boots that protect the side of your foot in addition to the heel?

If you are describing the bony area just behind the base of the toe on the edge of your foot, this is called the metatarsal head, and the bone is VERY close to the skin here. It is fairly easy to get a pressure ulcer there that goes into the bone (causing osteomyelitis).

You need to get wound care consultation ASAP.

(KLD)

Thanks for answering KLD. I have an appointment Tuesday. ***sigh***

Glad you made an appointment. I assume your keeping pressure off of it as much as you can. The wound care clinic had me wear a convoluted foam boot when I had a sore on my right foot, sounds like the exact spot you have one, except when I had to drive I couldn't transfer wearing that thing. After it healed but was still tender I tried to sleep wearing the boot but it was too hard to turn over with it so I bought a high density convoluted foam pad and cut a strip just to fit at the foot of my bed. Made turning easier. I tried the pillows under the legs so the feet woulnd't touch the bed but that was too uncomfortable for me. When I used the foam pad I would check my feet in the morning and I had no red spots at all.

Orthotic inserts might help your feet sit flat I had some made but only use them in my house shoes. The inserts did make my feet sit flat but I have such a high arch so add that with foot drop and I can't find shoes that have enough room for the insert and my foot. I have tried all brands of shoes even even the ones made for orthotic inserts but none work for me.

Good luck and hopefully your spots are just a callous with nothing going on underneath and the area won't open.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~Winston Churchill

Maybe you should move your legrests up, that way your feet sit flat. I have my legrests long (had it set longer cuz I wear heels) so when I'm at home and barefeet, my feet do the same as yours. But when I put my heels on, my knees come up and my feet stay flat on the footrest.

I'm glad you're getting it looked at Addie Sue.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!