Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: New chair advice for a noob. Considering a ZRA

New chair advice for a noob. Considering a ZRA

I apologize in advance for this LONG post, but also thank all those who are willing to help!

Hey everyone! My first post here, though I've lurked and stumbled back onto the site several times over the years. Some background: I've been a T10/T11/T12 (I actually don't remember) para for almost 23 years now, but have kind of kept my disability at arm's length over all these years (as in I haven't stayed connected with this side of the world, be it people, advances, needs, or equipment). Now that I'm finally configuring a new wheelchair myself (the Quickie Revolution I'm using now got busted up in a plane's cargo hold), I'm starting to realize how so very little I know.

I have a fairly strong core and very good upper body strength, and want a wheelchair that I can use as an everyday, but still be active in. I do also drive, so being able to get it in and out of the car (Honda Accord) is important - the Revolution has been super easy in that respect, as it folds up and all, but something lighter and more cushy would be nice. To that end, I've been debating getting a ZRA (I don't think I my chair well enough to get a ZR), and have spent a good five+ hours over the last two days scouring and searching past threads for information regarding these chairs. While I've picked up a lot of info, I still have some questions (and a lot of misgivings, given the quality issues I've read about here), so I thought I'd ask all of you experts who've actually embraced and gotten actively involved with their disability!

Customization is as follows (measurements are based off my current Revolution):

Frame Finishes: Satin
    Color Anodizing Package: Black
    Rear Seat Width: 16"
    Front Seat Width: No Taper
    Seat Depth: 16"
    Front Seat Height: 19"
    Rear Seat Height: 15"
    Front Angle: 80°
    Debating a 85° instead because I miss having that clearance around my chair, but is there anything I need to watch out for with that? I keep seeing mentions of +1", but don't know what that refers to.
    Seat to Footrest: 14"
    Footrest Type: Angle Adjustable Footrest
    Debating between the standard angle adjustable versus the titanium open loop or flat ABS. Suggestions?
    Front End Type & Footrest Width: Standard Front End - 13.5" No Taper
    What's the advantage of the V-front end? I tend to keep my feet further apart as it is, and I feel like the V-front might add extra pressure on my knees (which kind of roll inward/rub against each other)
    Seat Back Type: Folding Titanium Adjustable Height
    TiShaft Back Release Bars: Aluminum
    Are the titanium/CF ones really going to make a huge difference here?
    Seat Back Height: No Push Handles - Medium - 15"
    I actually very rarely lean against my seat back, as I tend to seat leaned slightly forward of it. Not sure if that just means it's not adjusted correctly, but it hasn't bothered me at all. I AM wondering if should get a shorter one, but I do use it for a backpack (that already drags dangerously close to the ground as is)
    Seat Back Options: 4" Deep Backrest Rigidizer Bar
    Seat Back Angle: 92°
    My current one is set at 90°, I believe. I'm assuming the higher the angle the further back it leans?
    Center of Gravity: 2"
    Rear Wheel Spacing: 1"
    Camber: 4°
    Camber Tube Type: Carbon Fiber Camber Tube
    I know there were a lot of issues with previous versions of this, but they've been mostly addressed by Tilite now right? Should I still get a aluminum/titanium backup?
    Front Casters: 5" x 1.5" Plastic Wheel w/ Poly Tire
    Front Forks: TiLite Standard Forks w/ Titanium Fork Stems
    Okay, so what I REALLY want here are the FrogLeg Unitines and the 5" x 1.5" soft rolls. I know a lot of folks here have swapped them out, but I'm still not 100% sure what configuration is necessary to allow for that. Are the above two correct?
    Rear Wheels: 24" Black Spinergy LX
    Axles: Titanium Quick Release
    Titanium only because I think it'd be stronger and lighter, but is it necessary?
    Rear Wheel Tire: 24" Solid Herringbone Tread
    I know, I know, solids, ew. I live in SF, and the streets are hazardous - I was getting 2-3 flats a week back on my pneumatics!
    Handrims: Aluminum - Long Tab
    Wheel Locks: Black Aluminum Scissor Lock
    Upholstery Colors: Black
    Back Upholstery: Tension Adjustable by Straps
    Seat Upholstery: Tension Adjustable Bolt-On
    Seat Cushion: ROHO High Profile Quadtro
    This is what I'm currently using, so I have to see if Tilite offers this, since it's not on the order form.
    Side Guards: Aluminum Rigid Removable - Standard
    Again, is CF really necessary/useful here? And how do the small and standard sizes compare?
    Calf Strap: Bodypoint Padded Velcro Adjustable - Large

Again, thanks SO much for taking the time to read and help out! I'll post a photo of me in my current busted chair when I get a chance. For now, I'm heading off to bed

Anyone?

This thread must have slipped by, faji tama. We have lots of experts here, they'll answer when they see this thread. I learn something every day it seems. Welcome to CC.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I hope so rdf, and thanks for the welcome! I've definitely been learning a lot since I started actively reading here

Thread noted.

Hi Faji, I have a ZRA and I like it. I also scoured past threads looking at pictures and specs of other chairs. Doing my homework paid off, my chair was a perfect fit for me since I didn't have to make any adjustments. I've since added an ADI back and round betty wheels. Good Luck.

Hi & Welcome to CC. I just got my ZRA in September. I love it. Very comfy and smooth. I have the frog legs and I will never go back. A lot of people here don't like them but I love it! I drive the Toyota Venza SUV and my ZRA fits in perfectly. I drove an 09 Honda Accord before the new Toyota and it fit great in there as well. Good luck to you!
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Quote Originally Posted by faji_tama View Post
    Front Angle: 80°
    Debating a 85° instead because I miss having that clearance around my chair, but is there anything I need to watch out for with that? I keep seeing mentions of +1", but don't know what that refers to.
    I have an 80-deg front because I wanted 6" casters. I have since found 80 is right for me because of arthritis in my knees (they ache when tucked tighter). My maneuverability is fine (but I've never used a tighter front angle).

about +1": TiLite starts the front bend closer to the seat than other manufacturers, so if you like extra frame in front of your seat to grab onto for transfers, order extra inches between the front of your seat and the beginning of the bend: +1, +2, etc.
    Attachment 43019

TiShaft Back Release Bars: Aluminum
    Are the titanium/CF ones really going to make a huge difference here?
    I don't think so.

Seat Back Angle: 92°
    My current one is set at 90°, I believe. I'm assuming the higher the angle the further back it leans?
    yes
    Attachment 43016

Axles: Titanium Quick Release
    Titanium only because I think it'd be stronger and lighter, but is it necessary?
    I believe ti axles are actually slightly heavier than ss, but stronger. Do you jump curbs/steps frequently? If not, the ss will probably be just fine.

Wheel Locks: Black Aluminum Scissor Lock
    I strongly suggest hub locks: surelocks or D's. Order no brakes through TiLite; order hub locks separately; install them when they arrive (or have DME install them).

Seat Cushion: ROHO High Profile Quadtro
    This is what I'm currently using, so I have to see if Tilite offers this, since it's not on the order form.
    Order it separately if TiLite won't provide it.

Side Guards: Aluminum Rigid Removable - Standard
    Again, is CF really necessary/useful here? And how do the small and standard sizes compare?
    CF sideguards weigh about 1.0#; aluminum sideguards weigh about 1.5#. . . you decide. (note: I've never had CF sideguards, so I don't know if other advantages exist.)

Here're my standard sideguards with 14.5" RSH, 3" COG, and 24" rear wheels.
    Attachment 43017

Hope this helps.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Not everyone can afford an Icon. Nor can everyone fit into one, either, as I discovered to my disappointment.

So it's nice, but not an option for everyone.