Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ITB Baclofen @3000 mcg daily w/ no relief

pump

Very weird...do you have a Medtronic Synchro Med II pump? This is the one my son has and he has had problems and need for frequent adjustments ever since it was installed. He was up to 360 at one time. If it is that pump, it has been recalled. You can put the serial number in on the Medtronic website to see if your specific pump is part of the recall.

Is the manufacture the same for both doses of meds? I have found a very real difference between metha dose and methadone and between different brands of hydrocodone same dosage but different bases apparently do not work the same for everyone.. I assumed it was just me but my pharm asked me if i was noticing any difference after i answered the affirmative he told me several other patients had mentioned it...

Quote Originally Posted by zevobru View Post
    my son has a Medronic Synchro Med II pump. He has many of the same problems. We found out the pump was recalled due to a problem with the battery, but no one told us. Medtonics is down-plying the seriousness of the problem. But check and see if it is one of these recalled pumps.
    same here. medtronic NEVER notified me of the recall. i only found out because i googled the synchromed II once i started having issues with it. i'm having a revision done next wk.

It seems like we may not be getting the straight story from Medronics. They are telling the doctors that the pump failure is so remote (3 in 1,000) that the pump can not be the problem. So the doctors never have the pump checked. So how do we know that all the pumps that are not being checked are not problematic. As for the alarm, wghat powers the alarm to sound when the battery fails. And what is the alarm is defective. When we started asking these questions, our doctor flat out said "it's not the pump". She made it clear that she is the doctor and the conversation about the pump was over.

Update for you all

I went in and got the pump replaced and the DR did a revision but could not get the catheter above my injury site due to scar tissue and hardware he said. Still no relief and I think it is actually worse than before. SO here I sit wondering what is going to happen next. I go in on the 16th and find out.

Yes i do get refilled every 13 days and the diladid life span is about 30 days my NP told me. I never get mini comas and it is actually hard to sleep with my back hurting. If anyone has a solution or a question dont hesitate please.

Hi armymech all I can say is I'm in the same boat and not happy about it. I'm back up to 800mcg/day and I'm starting to have problems staying awake during the day again. Strangely enough I'm also having trouble sleeping at night.

I could live with the stiff legs but the back spasms are killing me. That plus the nerve pain and by the end of most days I feel like throwing in the towel.

Lazlo...do you have a Medtronic Synchro Med II pump? These pumps have been recalled for battery problems. This is the one my son had and he has had problems and need for frequent adjustments ever since it was installed. Although it was "tested" and said to be functioning, we think it was malfunctioning but not showing up on the Medtronic test. If you have a recalled pump, you may want to have it replaced...even if the doc says its working ok.

Now i go in on 23rd and they might do a trial and inject baclofen at C-5 I think and if it helps maybe a 2nd pump? We will see. Does anyone have a 2nd pump or heard of that?

Central California/ (the Republican side :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazlo View Post
    Not much to add here except that I'm in the same boat. Two catheter studies, one catheter revision, MRI, countless dose adjustments, everything looks normal but I've got more spasms than ever. The back spasms are the real killer because I can still feel my back and they're very painful. If the pump just got rid of those spasms I'd be happy with it.

I've never heard of someone getting 3000mcg/day before, that's really high. At around 900 I was basically going in and out of mini-comas and had to have it cut back. I'm at about 650 now and inching back up to try to address those back and abs spasms but no luck so far, and I can't go above 850. Overall I'm pretty unhappy with this whole bac pump experience.

Here's the thing though
    . My initial test dose was very effective. After over a year of pestering my docs they agreed to repeat the test dose to see if it was still effective. Unfortunately, this second test dose, nearly three years after the first, was completely ineffective. In fact the PT said I seemed to get more spasms after the dose.

So is this a case of becoming resistant to the drug over time? The docs say they have no idea, there are no more tests they can run, essentially they have no plan for me at all. So all I can do is push it back up near the comatose level again and hope for some relief from the most painful of the spasms.

It's interesting what you say about using the 1000mcg/mL solution. All I can think is that maybe the additional saline helps transport the drug further from the catheter tip. But if you're using 3000mcg/day with a 40mL pump filled with 1000mcg/mL solution, does that mean you're getting a refill every 13 days?
    Quote Originally Posted by armymech69 View Post
    Now i go in on 23rd and they might do a trial and inject baclofen at C-5 I think and if it helps maybe a 2nd pump? We will see. Does anyone have a 2nd pump or heard of that?
    Do u ever have problems breathing? I am in the same boat as you but my level is only at 500.

Evonne
    I have a spinal cord injury...a spinal cord injury DOES NOT have me!

walking quad-Central Cord Syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Skeptic that I am, is it possible that your doc is incorrect and that the pump is not functioning properly? Did he do a dye study? Is there a crack in the delivery system that is leaking the meds not into the proper place?
    i have the same problem. i take valium for spasms but it doesn"t work as good as i would like it to.if not for it i would be bouncing out of my chair. i am also medicated with for pain oxcycontin and oxcycodone for break through pain relief.