Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Spinalon

  1. #1

    Spinalon

    NCT01484184

    Is anyone familar w/this pending clinical trial. I ran a search but didn't find much information. I honestly have to have this stuff "dumbed down" to understand it.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs770 View Post
    NCT01484184

    Is anyone familar w/this pending clinical trial. I ran a search but didn't find much information. I honestly have to have this stuff "dumbed down" to understand it.
    This is an interesting trial. Not yet started, this phase I/II trial is sponsored by Nordic Life Science Pipeline Inc. and will be testing a combination of three drugs believed to activate the central pattern generator in the spinal cord (buspirone + levodopa + cardidopa). These drugs are likely to have side-effects on blood pressure and heart rate. Thus, this trial will look for these effects, as well as electromyographic activity of the legs. The study will be conducted in Quebec at the McGill University Health Centre (Montreal General Hospital), Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3G 1A4. Hughes Barbeau is one of the contacts. He is one of the leading scientists working on locomotion and central pattern generators in the world.

    http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/N...1484184&rank=1

  3. #3

    Thank you

    Simple enough, Let's hope for the best!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    This is an interesting trial. Not yet started, this phase I/II trial is sponsored by Nordic Life Science Pipeline Inc. and will be testing a combination of three drugs believed to activate the central pattern generator in the spinal cord (buspirone + levodopa + cardidopa). These drugs are likely to have side-effects on blood pressure and heart rate. Thus, this trial will look for these effects, as well as electromyographic activity of the legs. The study will be conducted in Quebec at the McGill University Health Centre (Montreal General Hospital), Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3G 1A4. Hughes Barbeau is one of the contacts. He is one of the leading scientists working on locomotion and central pattern generators in the world.

    http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/N...1484184&rank=1
    Hughes was unable to be PI for the CT. The new PI is Mohan Radhakrishna, MD McGill University Health Centre (Montreal General Hospital) Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1A4. The Ph1/Ph2 trial is slated to begin recruiting in August for Quebec chronic SCI only.

    http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/sh...pinalon&rank=1

    Mohan Radhakrishna, M.D., FRCPC, Dip. Sport Med. has been Member of Clinical Advisory Board of Victhom Human Bionics Inc. since March 2006. Dr. Radhakrishna is a specialist in physical medicine and rehabilitation and is Assistant Professor at McGill University, Montreal, Canada. He has special interests in focal neuropathies, orthopedic trauma rehabilitation including spine rehabilitation, and spinal cord rehabilitation. He performs electromyography at the Montreal General Hospital laboratory and is a consultant at the McGill University Health Centre Pain Clinic. Current projects include investigating the implementation of a spinal cord injury research program and a multidisciplinary Spine Unit at the McGill University Health Centre.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 06-13-2013 at 12:10 AM.

  5. #5
    How could drugs activate spinal CPGs? Is it that the drugs simply allow the CPG to be more easily excited? Or do they expect people to take a drug and suddenly see a locomotor like response in the legs?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsonite View Post
    How could drugs activate spinal CPGs? Is it that the drugs simply allow the CPG to be more easily excited? Or do they expect people to take a drug and suddenly see a locomotor like response in the legs?
    As a first-in-class (Central Pattern Generator or CPG activator) approach, this tritherapy candidate called SPINALON has been identified and is currently under development for its capacity to temporarily induce episodes of involuntary locomotor movements. The primary objective of this Phase I/IIa study is to assess safety and tolerability of a single escalating dose of SPINALON (levodopa + carbidopa + buspirone) in chronic spinal cord-injured patients. As a secondary objective, preliminary evidence of efficacy will also be sought.

    SPINALON (levodopa + carbidopa + buspirone) was discovered by Dr. Guertin and colleagues as a drug treatment candidate that can acutely elicit temporarily (lasting approximately 30-60 minutes) episodes of CPG activity and corresponding powerful weight-bearing hindlimb stepping in completely SCI subjects.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 06-13-2013 at 01:37 PM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    As a first-in-class (Central Pattern Generator or CPG activator) approach, this tritherapy candidate called SPINALON has been identified and is currently under development for its capacity to temporarily induce episodes of involuntary locomotor movements. The primary objective of this Phase I/IIa study is to assess safety and tolerability of a single escalating dose of SPINALON (levodopa + carbidopa + buspirone) in chronic spinal cord-injured patients. As a secondary objective, preliminary evidence of efficacy will also be sought.

    SPINALON (levodopa + carbidopa + buspirone) was discovered by Dr. Guertin and colleagues as a drug treatment candidate that can acutely elicit temporarily (lasting approximately 30-60 minutes) episodes of CPG activity and corresponding powerful weight-bearing hindlimb stepping in completely SCI subjects.
    Very interesting...is there something different about CPG neural circuits that allows them to be "targeted" by medication? I just cant grasp the concept of how a medication makes its way through the body and affects a very specific group of nerves to elicit a very specific reaction (ie locomotor patterns).

    Also, I can't help but notice the word "hindlimb" in the second part of your post...I'm assuming the subjects in this study where Spinalon was discovered were animal subjects?

  8. #8
    I just read the study details, the preliminary data was obtained in mice and turtles, interestingly enough.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsonite View Post
    I just read the study details, the preliminary data was obtained in mice and turtles, interestingly enough.
    Guertin PA, Pharmacological approaches to chronic spinal cord injury. Curr Pharm Des. 2013;19(24):4423-36. PMID: 23360274

    Ung RV, Rouleau P, Guertin PA. Functional and physiological effects of treadmill training induced by buspirone, carbidopa, and L-DOPA in clenbuterol-treated paraplegic mice. Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2012 May;26(4):385-94. doi: 10.1177/1545968311427042. Epub 2011 Dec 9. PMID:22157146

    Guertin PA, Central pattern generator for locomotion: anatomical, physiological, and pathophysiological considerations. Front Neurol. 2012;3:183. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2012.00183. Epub 2013 Feb 8.

    Guertin PA, Ung RV, Rouleau P, Steuer I. Effects on locomotion, muscle, bone, and blood induced by a combination therapy eliciting weight-bearing stepping in nonassisted spinal cord-transected mice. Neurorehab Neural Repair. 2011 Mar-Apr;25(3):234-42. Epub 2010 Oct 15.

    Guertin PA, Ung RV, Rouleau P. Oral administration of a tri-therapy for central pattern generator activation in paraplegic mice: proof-of-concept of efficacy. Biotechnol J. 2010 Apr;5(4):421-6.

    Guertin PA. The mammalian central pattern generator for locomotion. Brain Res Rev. 2009 Dec 11;62(1):45-56. Epub 2009 Aug 29. Review.

    Lapointe NP, Rouleau P, Ung RV, Guertin PA. Specific role of dopamine D1 receptors in spinal network activation and rhythmic movement induction in vertebrates. J Physiol. 2009 Apr 1;587(Pt 7):1499-511. Epub 2009 Feb 9.

    Lapointe NP, Guertin PA. Synergistic effects of D1/5 and 5-HT1A/7 receptor agonists on locomotor movement induction in complete spinal cord-transected mice. J Neurophysiol. 2008 Jul;100(1):160-8. Epub 2008 May 14.

    Landry ES, Lapointe NP, Rouillard C, Levesque D, Hedlund PB, Guertin PA. Contribution of spinal 5-HT1A and 5-HT7 receptors to locomotor-like movement induced by 8-OH-DPAT in spinal cord-transected mice. Eur J Neurosci. 2006 Jul;24(2):535-46. Epub 2006 Jul 12.

    To the best of my knowledge, there's no category to test hand, wrist and arm movements when reviewing the study criteria. Hence, the term hind limb. CPG responses can be elicited both electrically and pharmaceutically.
    The term CPG refers to a functional network, which could consist of neurons located in different parts of the CNS. This network generates the rhythm and shapes the pattern of the motor bursts of motor neurons.

    Last edited by GRAMMY; 06-13-2013 at 05:18 PM.

  10. #10
    Hello all,

    Newbie here.

    Had a quick question re this - does the central pattern generator exist in those who have lumbar or sacral spinal injuries?

Similar Threads

  1. Spinalon
    By KIM in forum Cure
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-10-2011, 09:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •