Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New chair time?

New chair time?

I have ordered my first chair and am totally new to this how long on average does it take to get a new chair? I might get my chair so time in Jan which will make it four months that I have waited to get it. Is this normal?

Lead time depends on a lot of things: type of chair (custom-made chairs take longer) type of payment (insurance paid takes longer than out-of-pocket), etc. Four months is not out of line for a custom chair paid by insurance.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I've found that most of the time is in the ordering and payment (usually insurance). From that point it's only two weeks or so.

Thanks or the reply's

I was told to expect 3 months. 2 weeks after the fitting to draft custom letter of medical necessity,;2 wk for my dr to get, sign, and return it; month for insurance to approve it; 3 weeks for manufacture. So 4 doesn't sound unusual.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Obviously this is my first real chair and am so excited to get it. Sad when I am excited to get a new wheelchair. Also has anyone else found out why if you upgrade rims that they are overpriced and you don't get a credit for the basic rims that would come with it? If I order a new car and get upgraded rims I will at least get the stock rims with it or a credit of the cost of them. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this with ordering chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytodd View Post
    Obviously this is my first real chair and am so excited to get it. Sad when I am excited to get a new wheelchair.
    I understand (I have had my first real chair a year now, and I'm still excited about it).

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytodd View Post
    Also has anyone else found out why if you upgrade rims that they are overpriced and you don't get a credit for the basic rims that would come with it? If I order a new car and get upgraded rims I will at least get the stock rims with it or a credit of the cost of them. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this with ordering chairs.
    No, I haven't found out why. Yes, I noticed! If I wanted nicer wheels, I would order the stock ones with the chair, buy a nice set elsewhere, and keep the stock set as a spare (fit with alternate-use tires). Some CC members have done just that. (I'm happy with my stock Spinergy wires, though.)
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I'm excited too! I can't stop talking about it with those closest to me. I don't think we're excited about the chairs themselves but rather what they represent. Disability and wheelchairs suck, but increases in mobility and independence are exciting!
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    I would order the stock ones with the chair, buy a nice set elsewhere, and keep the stock set as a spare (fit with alternate-use tires). Some CC members have done just that. (I'm happy with my stock Spinergy wires, though.)
    Thats what I did. I use my spinergy wires for my winter set, and topolinos for summer. Different treads do help a bit in the snow, but when the gloves get soaked the more aggressive tread does help in the push.
    ---------
    C5-6 / '88

I am new hear obviously and learning so much as I go. A FYI for anyone who has private insurance and meets the deductible in year and orders a chair make sure to order at least 5 months before end of year. The insurance will not bill it until it is delivered I did not know this mine is supposed to be delivered on Jan 5th so I will not get my 100% benefit for the 2011 year. I have tried everything to try to get it before then and hope and pray to get it before the end of the year. This is such a small detail by the matter of only five days that will end up costing me thousands of dollars if I don't get it on time. I thought I would pass this info on to help others be more informed than I am.