Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: backup power for elevator?

Quote Originally Posted by skippopotamus View Post
    MSSpouse, let's see the lift. I looked into doing something like what you're talking about but ended up using garage door tracks and a chain hoist for my elevator.
    Just getting started on the lift project so no pics yet. It's not rocket science though. The biggest challenge will be to get the unit in my basement. It needs to be tipped on it's side to thread through a 3' door. It weighs 1100 lbs. From there I'll frame an elevator shaft lined with 4 vertical stabilizing tracks of angle. Then I'll build a car with bearings to run up and down the angle iron track. The stacker will be positioned under the car and lift from below using the forks. Stackers are very beefy but a little wobbly at the top of travel to just go totally free standing. Not planning any complicated safety brakes since the worst case single failure is a hydraulic line blowing out. The cylinders are large enough, relative to the lines, that the descent wouldn't be much faster that hitting the down solenoid. The chains on the lift mechanism are already redundant so no single point failure there. Frankly, the whole thing is grossly over designed for the amount being lifted. As long as the seals and lines are maintained, I don't see what could ever fail. Fork lifts are designed for decades of heavy service. But, I suppose I could put safety catches at the top of travel to cover the case where you are just entering the car. That could be some manually operated pins operated by the entrance door.

Other home brew lifts could work fine. I went the stacker route because I got a good deal on it. Cost me $500 plus $200 worth of gas to go get it. It looks exactly like this:
    http://www.crown.com/usa/products/pdfs/specs/b_spec.pdf
    Incidentally, I just finished using it to build my garage. I lifted the roof trusses, a 450 lb girder, and the roof plywood. Not hiring a crane to lift the trusses saved me at least 1/2 the cost of the lift alone.

I'll post pics when I finish. Hopefully I'll get enough time off over the holidays to "git er done".

I've got an elevator in my house, it goes from my room to outside and the basemnt. It's definantly not built to code (safety? not on this thing).. But it's easily maintained by my friends & family when needed.

It runs at 24V DC, I use two Gel celled batteries to run it (charged via a treickle charger), so even if the power goes out I'm never stranded.

For maintance its goes like this:

New cables every 3 years or so ( $100 for 1/4" aircraft cable from home depot).
    New selinoids when they go seems 1 every 5 or 6 years ($5 or so)
    New batteries every 7 or 8 years ($500 for the pair of new batteries)

Theres a couple companies here that want maintainance contracts here for $300 a year...no thanks, i can look at it and 'listen' to it and know when something is up.

I've never had to replace the motor, pullies, or any of the electronics (aside from an occasional blown selinoid) in 22 years.
    ---------
    C5-6 / '88

Quote Originally Posted by dr.zapp View Post
    thanks for the replies- it's not just a lift, but an actual enclosed elevator (this one here- http://www.premierlifts.com/RevolutionBrochure.pdf
    Thats a great looking elevator..

On page 20 of the brochure, it says they don't use any proprietary parts, so everything should be easily found. If anything, look for an electrician or an apprentance on kiijii and have them look at the battery area. they should be able to locate it pretty quickly and identify what battery and parts you would need. It may cost you $100 or so cash, but I can bet you the repair will be under $1000..

Also don't mention the $7000 repair quote until they finish..
    ---------
    C5-6 / '88