Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Tooth pulp stem cells regenerate spinal cord

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico

Tooth pulp stem cells regenerate spinal cord

Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere

And yet, dentistry can't even regrow an adult tooth. I remember asking like 10yrs ago if that would be in the future .. so much for that.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

grabs the vice grips to start pulling teeth!

is there anything that wont work in rat models?

This is an important paper, published in an excellent journal. Tooth pulp stem cells were reported earlier by other groups to stimulate spinal cord regeneration. However, this group is showing mechanisms that have not be reported before. These cells may have properties that other stem cells don't have. They are also very attractive as a source of cells. There is momentum building behind these cells and I think that autologous stem cell pulp may become an early candidate for trials. Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    This is an important paper, published in an excellent journal. Tooth pulp stem cells were reported earlier by other groups to stimulate spinal cord regeneration. However, this group is showing mechanisms that have not be reported before. These cells may have properties that other stem cells don't have. They are also very attractive as a source of cells. There is momentum building behind these cells and I think that autologous stem cell pulp may become an early candidate for trials. Wise.

Dear Wise,

I completely disagree with your assessment of this paper. The quality of the figures showing supposed regeneration is simply terrible. The single figure that purports to show CST regeneration is one of the worst histological specimens that I have ever witnessed. This shabby work should have never passed so-called peer review. There is absolutely no evidence of CST fiber regeneration and the evidence of regeneration of 5-HT fibers past the lesion, although, almost somewhat more believable is again lacking. Lots of cell transplants can elicit 5-HT fiber sparing/sprouting and even a bit of regeneration. If a few 5-HT axons managed to get into the caudal cord then this might explain the locomotor improvements that are far from normal walking. A BBB score of around 7 after complete cord transection has been achieved by other labs using other techniques. Without cord re-lesion experiments one does not know if the returned function is due to supraspinal regeneration or reflexive local circuit activation mediated by local sensory inputs. Also, it is important to stress that again these cells were administered immediately after lesion so it is very important to stress that these particular cells as well as many other types of stem cells may have therapeutic potential at acute stages but results in chronic injuries are lacking.

I take all these rat model stories with a grain of salt. They will get funding to do some work from some group, do the work on contusion and crush models and be done with it and move onto something else.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by jsilver View Post
    Dear Wise,

I completely disagree with your assessment of this paper. The quality of the figures showing supposed regeneration is simply terrible. The single figure that purports to show CST regeneration is one of the worst histological specimens that I have ever witnessed. This shabby work should have never passed so-called peer review. There is absolutely no evidence of CST fiber regeneration and the evidence of regeneration of 5-HT fibers past the lesion, although, almost somewhat more believable is again lacking. Lots of cell transplants can elicit 5-HT fiber sparing/sprouting and even a bit of regeneration. If a few 5-HT axons managed to get into the caudal cord then this might explain the locomotor improvements that are far from normal walking. A BBB score of around 7 after complete cord transection has been achieved by other labs using other techniques. Without cord re-lesion experiments one does not know if the returned function is due to supraspinal regeneration or reflexive local circuit activation mediated by local sensory inputs. Also, it is important to stress that again these cells were administered immediately after lesion so it is very important to stress that these particular cells as well as many other types of stem cells may have therapeutic potential at acute stages but results in chronic injuries are lacking.
    Jerry, thank you for your comments. I attach a copy of the pdf of the article for people to peruse and will add a response in a short while. Wise.

With all due respect to the perseverance and expert knowledge of these two doctors above me, I must make these comments based on my own personal research and my involvement in chronic research.

Many substances have been shown to induce some re-growth in acute human injuries. Heck, even some electronic and or magnetic pulses have been shown to work with acute injuries.

We all must keep in mind a very important fact: we are all chronically injured. It has been shown that even a physiological connection will generally not respond to signals from the brain or body. It has also been shown that through central pattern generator or other type of nerve stimulation is necessary to coordinate or "alert" the dormant nervous system into activation. This is probably why exercise and FES while not cures in themselves, do promote the idea that there is a two-way pathway between brain and body that despite one's level of injury is likely still partially intact. Remember this because it is very important as to how you live your day to day life.

Wise and Silver above me have spent their careers assisting us. We must show them the due respect which they have earned. However, we must as the guardians of our own future maintain vigilance and promote a chronic human cure. Everybody becomes chronic, they merely need to survive their acute stage. Chronic is more stable and more likely to, once cured, respond well to physical therapy of some type. Acute injuries are relatively unstable and prone to a myriad of troubles...

Some thoughts after a long day...

Future Walker
    Futurewalker

As a dentist even ectomesenchymal cells (early tooth bud cells) release many factors. the point is any study is great as it is one less that needs to be done.