Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I feel like the luckiest person in the universe today

I feel like the luckiest person in the universe today

The beginning of this story is a little sad. Pathetic on some level, I'm sure. But still ... mostly just sad.

The story starts, you see, with a thoughtless action by a desperate young man. Granted, maybe he was really just greedy. But even if he was, I still prefer to think of him as desperate; or at least, as trying to fulfill a burning wish years in the making, the only way he knew how to, given his circumstances.

Because what else would move a person to rip the phone right out of a stranger's hands, then jump onto the subway and be off with it?

If my colleagues were reading this, I'm sure some of them would want me to add the word 'disabled' to that sentence. What would move someone to rip the phone right out of a *disabled* stranger's hands? Apparently, that makes it even more sad — or more pathetic, depending on how you want to look at it.

Me, I'd like to think it doesn't matter either way. Respecting other people's property is an integral part of respecting other people in general. It shouldn't matter who they are, and whether or not they can chase you and kick your ass, should you try to steal something from them. But then, personally, I would also like to think that I could chase someone, and maybe even kick his ass, should he try to steal something from me. Reality says I'd be wrong about that.

Because this morning, a desperate young man ripped my phone out of my hands, then jumped onto the subway and was off with it. And I didn't chase him. I definitely didn't kick his ass.

But really, here is where the good part starts. Because that phone? It was an iPhone. And an iPhone has not just a GPS, but also a way of using said GPS as a tracking device under circumstances just like these.

Of course, given my not-so-great chasing abilities, I still would have been nowhere at all, if it weren't for my intrepid colleagues and — get this — my boss. Yes, my boss!

So I got to work this morning, a little late, a little shaken, and of course without a phone.*

"I tried calling you to find out where you were," said the guy at the next desk over. "I couldn't reach you."

Well, of course not. My phone was stolen.

"What? How? Who did that?"

So I explained it to him.

Ten minutes later, I found myself on my way to the nearest police station, one of my colleagues in tow, while a second one pulled out his personal laptop (because 'Find my iPhone' won't work on every corporate overlord's favorite browser, IE7), and proceeded to track the phone for over half an hour, until its position stabilized ten kilometers later. At which point my boss — yes, my boss — decided to get out his car, pack four of the guys into it, and drive down there.

While the police were still getting their act together, my boss and his posse got to work. They sent messages through 'find my iPhone', in French, Dutch and Arabic. They called my phone number and negotiated, as if this were a hostage situation, warning the silent breather on the other end that the police were on their way in.

He dumped the phone out through the mail slot in the door.

Mind you, all of these people — the one who went with me to the police, the ones who went after the thief, and the one who basically coordinated the whole thing from the office — did this without my asking them anything.

It may not have been particularly wise of them to go after a guy who had just stolen something in such a reckless way, before they even knew whether the police would get involved. *

But I would pay to work in a team like that. Instead, I get a salary for it.

you must be totally worth the trouble they took. Im glad you got your phone back, but I might be scared of meeting the thief on the subway again.

Great Team

Comforting to lnow you have such great work partners, including your boss.

As to the theft of you phone, I don't believe he was desperate, merely a thief who wanted what you worked to pay for. Thieves are basically lazy louts out to get something for nothing. Why work when you can steal what suits your nrrds.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

great story! I just got an iphone and need to set up this tracker thing!

cool team! gratitude is a great feeling eh
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by wazabiker View Post
    As to the theft of you phone, I don't believe he was desperate, merely a thief who wanted what you worked to pay for. Thieves are basically lazy louts out to get something for nothing. Why work when you can steal what suits your nrrds.
    Yes, see, usually, I knowingly choose to remain naïve on this point. I have to assume that all human beings are basically good, although they are sometimes driven to extremes by extraordinary circumstance. If I didn't, I'd go crazy.

great story! It's nice when people go above and beyond the call of duty.

is this the boss whom you say doesnt like you? what a great story!!!! i am so glad they did this and showed you how much they value you!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    is this the boss whom you say doesnt like you?
    Obviously not .

As you may or may not recall, I mentioned in the other thread that I 'stopped short of going a third level up the hierarchy' that night, because the 'big boss' doesn't like me.

This guy is 'just' my N+1 (also known as the guy directly above me on the totem pole). He was the one I couldn't reach when I found myself locked in, because he'd been at home puking for two days. As I believe I also mentioned in the other thread, he is positively awesome -- something he proved again today.

Quote Originally Posted by Saranoya View Post
    Obviously not .

As you may or may not recall, I mentioned in the other thread that I 'stopped short of going a third level up the hierarchy' that night, because the 'big boss' doesn't like me.

This guy is 'just' my N+1 (also known as the guy directly above me on the totem pole). He was the one I couldn't reach when I found myself locked in, because he'd been at home puking for two days. As I believe I also mentioned in the other thread, he is positively awesome -- something he proved again today.
    ah ok! that one! yes, good ppl you have there!!! also glad he is better.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Blog Entries
    Really great story Sara! Did the police ever get involved (other than you talking to them)?
    @Jody, great replacement pic for the gerbil(?)!
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury