Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ssdi and marriage question

Only problem with a CPA is that they cannot see the future. I echo those who said that you have to consider what could happen down the road. Even if my partner and I could have been legally married, it would not have been an option because my income would have screwed up her public benefits - benefits that, in her younger days she didn't have. I wish you all the best and hope everything works out wonderfully for you.
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
    - Albert Einstein

im not giving up just yet, my situation is this, i get $1025 ssdi monthly and $100 gets taken out automatically for medicare, so i end up with 925, im not on any other aid benefit, so i don't get taxed, i don't even require to file for tax return cause i fall under the taxable bracket, now my fiance she make 18-20k a year, so our total income jointly will be under 30k, sense her income doesn't effect my ssdi it should not change and we fall under the 32k taxable bracket so we should be ok there too. Any thoughts?
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by russianboss View Post
    im not giving up just yet, my situation is this, i get $1025 ssdi monthly and $100 gets taken out automatically for medicare, so i end up with 925, im not on any other aid benefit, so i don't get taxed, i don't even require to file for tax return cause i fall under the taxable bracket, now my fiance she make 18-20k a year, so our total income jointly will be under 30k, sense her income doesn't effect my ssdi it should not change and we fall under the 32k taxable bracket so we should be ok there too. Any thoughts?
    yes, you are correct, you will not be paying taxes on your ssdi if under the allowed amount, but she will still be paying taxes on hers, don't confuse that. also any bank accounts earning interest are still taxable, just as they were even if you were single.
    like I said before, the biggest issue will be if there are health problems down the road where there are expenses that are not covered by your medicare, as a married couple her income could keep you from getting financial help and she will become responsible for helping cover your costs. it sucks they don't have a sliding scale for health care, but some hosptials offer their own financial aid programs that do use a sliding scale for financial assistance, but that gets real confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    i think she meant 85% of what he receives is taxed, so 15% is tax-exempt. obvoiusly they're not gonna give you a check and then take 85% of it back.
    Exactly what I meant...thanks.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by russianboss View Post
    You should qualify for QMB on this income. After you combine income you will not, but QMB or SLMB would pay the $100 Medicare premium. Check into it.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    You should qualify for QMB on this income. After you combine income you will not, but QMB or SLMB would pay the $100 Medicare premium. Check into it.
    for a single person $867 is cutoff for QMB and $1089 for SLMB, plus limits on assetts, which is very easy to exceed.
    Last edited by jschism; 12-04-2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: add

So at 1025 SLMB is an option. The asset thing is definitely a hindrance. Such a frustrating system.......
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

I was on SSDI for about 18 months before I reached my full retirement age. My SS income is similar to yours. At that time my SSDI started my wife was making a significant income. I can assure you that the income tax is a non issue.

The real issue concerning marriage is assets, and what they can lay claim to in assets in the event of disaster. For example, I will probably depart this earth before my wife, and it is probably that this will involve large expenses in the last years. If we were not married, her assets would have some, or perhaps complete, shielding. Now, after working our entire lives to be self sufficient, I could drive her into poverty while she has many years to live. It is a very uncomfortable thought. It is criminal we have to make these choices on this basis.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

I guess the answer is to just never get married???
    Seems like there are more cons than pros.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

i got a car worth around 5k, nice tv and my computer to my name, she has about the same, we not into living on credit and dont have any fancy things, just two poor (financially) people want to get hitched.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился