Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ssdi and marriage question

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by russianboss View Post
    thanks, also according to this site http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/res...-ssdi-benefits
    No Limits on Unearned Income

While a disabled (nonblind) person applying for or receiving SSDI cannot earn more than $1,000 per month by working, a person collecting SSDI can have any amount of income from investments, interest, or a spouse's income.

this is what i was looking for but i dont understand why i cant find it on the official site, thanks everyone
    that is NOT true, interest income is taxable regardless of disability.
    http://www.socialsecurity.gov/planners/taxes.htm
    Last edited by jschism; 12-01-2011 at 09:46 AM. Reason: add

For us...mu husband still receives SSDI but since my income is higher his SSDI is taxed at 85% at the end of the year.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by SoulScream View Post
    I have wanted to get married for years and years and can't, because they then count her income and I lose everything. Check very carefully into your situation before making this choice.
    Are you on SSDI or SSI? I am married, and the only thing that my husband's salary effects, is that some of my ssdi income is taxable.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

damn it, it feels like it set up to fail
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Quote Originally Posted by russianboss View Post
    damn it, it feels like it set up to fail
    they screw on you on taxes even if both are able bodied. never has made any sense that a married couple has a lesser exemption than 2 single people.
    is getting married something you are both set on, anymore a couple is better off to just stay together for life without getting married, that way if one or the other has health problems, you both are not gonna get screwed out of everything. sad that the screwed up government has made it this way.
    it's really is messed up, if a couple are both are on public aid and get married, they are almost better off. but people trying to make a living are getting screwed.
    Last edited by jschism; 12-02-2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: oops

better check on health insurance, too. if your on ssdi, would would be on or eventually getting medicare/medicare supplemental insurance. Being married won't affect that cost because it is determined by ssdi amount, however if you're getting medicaid or public assistance for health care, combined income will be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach View Post
    For us...mu husband still receives SSDI but since my income is higher his SSDI is taxed at 85% at the end of the year.
    Might want to talk to a tax person. The highest marginal tax rate in the US is 35%. http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfa....cfm?Docid=213
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by gac3rd View Post
    Might want to talk to a tax person. The highest marginal tax rate in the US is 35%. http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfa....cfm?Docid=213
    i think she meant 85% of what he receives is taxed, so 15% is tax-exempt. obvoiusly they're not gonna give you a check and then take 85% of it back.

Quote Originally Posted by waishou View Post
    Earned income will affect your SSDI
    he doesn't have any earned income

Take this all with a grain of salt, you get what you pay for, (talk to a CPA/Tax preparer, it is not that difficult).

- Your receiving SSDI will not be affected until you start working, generating EARNED income. Interest, dividends, other invest income does not count.

- As I understand it, SSDI is not taxed until you exceed a specific level of income, this income can be from any source that is normally taxed. Once you exceed that income level, a portion of your SSDI will start to become taxable and be taxed at whatever rate would normally apply to income. The more you exceed that level/thresh-hold, the more of the SSDI that will become taxable. (the reason for this is that if someone had $100k in annual investment income, and $24k in annual SSDI income, is considered more able to pay taxes than someone just receiving $24k in annual SSDI income, $100k is NOT the threshold, I just use it as an example, I think the threshold where SSDI starts to be taxed is more like 10 - 20k beyond SSDI).

- I have no idea how getting married will affect this, other than guessing whether you file jointly or separately would probably affect it differently.

I probably confused the issue, so my suggestion is to spend $200 and take your last few years of tax forms to a tax CPA in your resident state and see what they say. Cheap piece of mind.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.