Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ssdi and marriage question

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    My bad, I read your first post wrong. I surrender.

if only....
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

haha you gorgeous gals, always teasin the guys! But we love it, it's all good
    Quote Originally Posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
    if only....
    Last edited by rdf; 11-30-2011 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Didn't sound right!
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    you need to check ssdi and income combined amount to see of you will be paying taxes, shouldn't change your ssdi, but you may end up paying taxes on it when income is combined. plus the allowance is less for a married couple than it is as a couple.

I have wanted to get married for years and years and can't, because they then count her income and I lose everything. Check very carefully into your situation before making this choice.
    Andrew

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    good point, this would be true if also on medicaid as secondary insurance or getting food stamps or ssi. also if you plan on ever taking college courses, they will count combined income, so you could lose possible monies there, too. there is no benefit to getting married, never was even before sci, they screw you on taxes as a couple. if anything turns south medical wise, that'll put you both in a bad situation as a married couple.

Thanks for the great response, can anyone refer me to the website where it explains in more detail, only thing i found so far is this http://www.socialsecurity.gov/planners/taxes.htm so if married and file jointly making over 32k combined income we pay taxes ok im clear on that but there is no mention anything about ssdi. so confusing
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

SSDI is only affected if YOU work.if you EARN income, not your spouse. It is YOUR disability insurance.

Re: Taxes: If you are not sure about what taxes you will pay jointly..you can use Turbo tax and try it both ways..your income single, her income single, and then your combined income married and see if the combined tax is higher than the two single tax would be combined?
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
    SSDI is only affected if YOU work.if you EARN income, not your spouse. It is YOUR disability insurance
    thanks, also according to this site http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/res...-ssdi-benefits
    No Limits on Unearned Income

While a disabled (nonblind) person applying for or receiving SSDI cannot earn more than $1,000 per month by working, a person collecting SSDI can have any amount of income from investments, interest, or a spouse's income.

this is what i was looking for but i dont understand why i cant find it on the official site, thanks everyone
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Quote Originally Posted by russianboss View Post
    thanks, also according to this site http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/res...-ssdi-benefits

While a disabled (nonblind) person applying for or receiving SSDI cannot earn more than $1,000 per month by working, a person collecting SSDI can have any amount of income from investments, interest, or a spouse's income.

this is what i was looking for but i dont understand why i cant find it on the official site, thanks everyone
    I am glad you are feeling better..and I always wondered if "rental" income is considered unearned income? well--now you can hear wedding bells! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by russianboss View Post

ssdi does NOT take into account any income other than your personal job situation. this is a fact. as for filing joint taxes, i don't know. do you have medical expenses? i'm sure you do. i suggest hiring a cpa.