Thread: Monique van der Vorst, Paraplegic Athlete, Makes Miraculous Recovery, Sets Sights On

Monique van der Vorst, Paraplegic Athlete, Makes Miraculous Recovery, Sets Sights On

Van der Vorst lost the use of her legs as a young teenager following ankle surgery. But she didn't lose her drive and determination. She won two silver medals in the handcycling road race and time trial at the Beijing Paralympics.

Last year, after a crash during training, she began getting the feeling back in her legs and eventually managed to walk again.

This seems fishy to me... maybe I am cynical.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today...00/9647585.stm

I read an article about this woman a few months ago in a local newspaper. As any decent reporter would, the writer of that article contacted a doctor familiar with the case to get his opinion, and if I remember correctly, he was quoted as saying that yes, Monique had been a wheelchair user for many years, but the original problem that landed her in the chair had nothing to do with her spine.

I believe she reportedly injured her spine later on in life (during a car accident), but that injury may have initially looked more severe than it was, because of her pre-existing problems. In other words: it is possible that her recovery was more or less the result of a natural healing process, combined with a renewed focus on rehabilitation after the car accident.

At least, that's what I remember reading months ago. I could be wrong.

I posted her article in the news forum's a while back

Thanks for the clarification on this story. It is so irresponsible how the media reports these "miraculous" stories.