Thread: Homework

Homework

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Res...recruiting.asp

The above came to me from MedPulse, a newsletter service I subscribe to, and it led me to the link above. Since I'm leaving early Friday morning for a week I thought there was enough here to keep some minds busy and conspiracy flowing. I realize that this is about MS but I think the agents used will amaze a few. Have a nice week and please be kind if not logical as you decide which will come to SCI first or next.

Sue

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Sue, hi. It is interesting how having to pay for internet time really changes the way that I type and post. I am typing as quickly as I can and remained glued to the screen. Sigh.

I just looked at the National MS Society site and there are indeed many MS trials. I want to say that I am a great fan of the MS Society and have long hoped that we had the same kind of organization for spinal cord injury. It is truly a national society, run by people with MS and devoted to both care and cure of the disease.

Before anybody starts rocketing off on how many clinical trials the MS community has and how few we have in spinal cord injury, let me suggest that you classify the MS trials into two types... ones that are preventing further degradation of function and ones that are restoring function. You will find that there are few, if any, trials that are devoted to restoring function.

I believe that therapies that restore function in MS will be beneficial for people with spinal cord injury. Likewise, therapies that regenerate and remyelinate injured spinal cords will be beneficial for people with SCI. MS is SCI but with the added complication that the disease is progressive and also involves the brain. But almost everybody with MS have or will have spinal cord involvement. Furthermore, the neurological deficits that develop in MS are due to axonal damage.

Wise.

"Before anybody starts rocketing off on how many clinical trials the MS community has and how few we have in spinal cord injury, let me suggest that you classify the MS trials into two types... ones that are preventing further degradation of function and ones that are restoring function. You will find that there are few, if any, trials that are devoted to restoring function."

Yes, I was looking at tthe restoration of function too. I posted this solely because some of the agents being tested are also or have been debated about for cure or therapies of SCI too. I do keep up on MS a bit because I have a cousin with the worst kind and the A, B, C drugs have barely slowed the course. She needs regeneration and remyelination, especially in her brain, as much as my spine does if not more.

People should look at the immune drugs as an extension of many things coming out for other autoimmune conditions not, I think, as anti-neurologicals.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

From Sue:

"The news here is that Inosine is being tried not as a drug but as a food supplement. Neat way around the FDA for BSLI."

Agent: Inosine (dietary supplement in oral capsule form)
    Treatment mode of action: To affect immune function
    Study Description/Purpose: Double-blind, placebo-controlled study to
    determine safety and efficacy of inosine, and effect of inosine on the
    number of newly active lesions.
    Institution: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
    Type of MS: RR
    Number of subjects: 30 subjects
    Funding: Thomas Jefferson University
    Enrollment Information: Tara Ordille, (215) 662-4893

Inosine is already available as a OTC suppliment but when taken orally, it can't pass the blood/brain barrier. Perhaps the version used here has been manipulated to overcome that obstacle. I'm assuming that the lesions referred to are in the brain.

there was a MS Program on the dıscovery chanel.A lot of MS patients biting themselves with bees.

Main Entry: 1ven·om
    Pronunciation: ve-n&m
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English venim, venom, from Old French venim, from (assumed) Vulgar Latin venimen, alteration of Latin venenum magic charm, drug, poison; akin to Latin venus love, charm -- more at WIN
    Date: 13th century
    1 : poisonous matter normally secreted by some animals (as snakes, scorpions, or bees) and transmitted to prey or an enemy chiefly by biting or stinging; broadly : material that is poisonous

aa
    a
    MANUKA HONEY with BEE VENOM
    'Actiflex Plus'
    a

Bee Venom Therapy has been practiced for more than twelve centuries and is part of clinical therapeutic treatments in Eastern Europe and Asia. Bee Venom Therapy also plays an important role in Chinese Acupuncture. Traditionally Bee Venom Therapy involves applying bees directly to the patient's affected area and building up a number of stings over time to achieve maximum therapeutic results for arthritis and possibly MS.
    a

BEE VENOM - HISTORY

A

In 1928 Bee Venom Injections were developed by Ketschy, eliminating the painful stinging process by live bees!

More recently, Bee Venom Therapy has increased in Western Society as an alternative to the use of synthetic drugs in the treatment of arthritis, other rheumatoid inflammations and multiple sclerosis.
    A

BEE VENOM

Bee Venom is a water-soluble blend of proteins (enzymes and peptides). Bee Venom contains over 18 components of pharmacological activities. The major allergic components are the enzymes. The major bioactive substances are the peptides.

Melittin and Apamin found in bee venom have been shown to stimulate the pituitary gland in humans and animals, releasing a hormone that causes the adrenal gland to produce cortisol, one of the body's major anti-inflammatory agents!

MCD peptide found in bee venom has been shown to produce an anti-inflammatory effect in animals 100 times stronger than the common anti-inflammatory drug hydro-cortisone! The effect is in addition to the cortisol effect.

Bee venom is not accompanied by the typical side effects normally associated to cortisone - apart from allergic reaction.
    A

Can anyone take MANUKA HONEY with BEE VENOM 'Actiflex Plus'?

A

NO! Do NOT use Actiflex (MANUKA HONEY WITH BEE VENOM) if you suffer from bee sting allergy, uncompensated allergies, cardiovascular conditions, open tuberculosis, insulin dependent diabetes, use of beta-blockers or if it contradicts with any other medication you might be taking.
    Do NOT use Actiflex plus if you have not discussed it with your doctor FIRST, even if you don't have any of the above mentioned ailments!

We strongly advise you to seek medical advice from your doctor first before using Actiflex. We (Manuka Honey USA and it's employees) can not be held responsible for ANY adverse outcome or reaction you may experience from Actiflex. When you buy Actiflex, you automatically agree to hold Manuka Honey USA and it's employees harmless of any claims whatsoever. It is your sole responsibility to seek medical, professional advice first.
    A

ANTI-ARTHRITIS EFFECT

A

The major use of Bee Venom as a therapeutic has been in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatoid arthritis is an inflammatory disease causing pain, restricted movement and disfigurement. The disease can also result in reduced oxygen supply to tissues and impairment of the lymphatic system, resulting in restricted blood flow and calcified over-growth of joints.

There is no known cure for the disease, and current treatment involves the use of drugs and other methods to reduce tissue inflammation around joints. In the US, 12% of the population suffer from arthritis.

In animal studies bee venom has shown to suppress arthritis by stimulating the adrenal gland to produce cortisol, which then inferred with the action of lymphocytes.

Mechanisms involved in this anti-inflammatory effect of bee venom have been reviewed by a number of authors, including Banks and Shipoliini (1986), Rekka and Kourounakis (1990) and Kim (1990)

Most of the evidence for the anti-arthritis effect of bee venom (apitherapy) on humans is either anecdotal or is provided in case studies by doctors. Beck (1935) recorded a number of cases where bee venom significantly improved arthritis symptoms. A hospital used bee venom on acupuncture points and reported significant improvement of symptoms in 66% of cases treated (Potchinkova, 1987) Broadman (1962) also reported that many doctors have used Bee Venom in the treatment of arthritis.

Schmidt and Buchmann (1993) have commented that such testimonials indicate that a beneficial effect certainly exists in relation to arthritis. However, anecdotal evidence does not explain why the effect is occurring, or the clinical relevance of the effect.

A clinical trial on the effects of bee venom on arthritis was conducted by Korner (1938). Small dose venom injections were given to 100 patients suffering symptoms. Over time, 73% of patients showed significant improvement in symptoms.

A total of 326 patients diagnosed by x-ray as suffering from degenerative spinal conditions received bee venom cream treatments using ultrasound. Following treatment, 59.5% of patients reported being free from pain, while 30% said their pain had decreased (Pochinkova, 1973).

Bee venom was applied to acupuncture points on 48 patients suffering from joint inflammation and rheumatism. Following treatments, 70% of patients were free from pain, 28% reported subjective results and 2% showed no change in condition (Giza 1985).

A trial conducted in the US studied arthritic patients with chronic symptoms not responding to drug therapy. Patients received bee venom injections twice weekly for six weeks. Most patients showed significant improvement in symptoms by the 12th treatment, and no patients showed undue side effects (Kim 1992).

Clinical studies are currently under way to study the use of bee venom for people suffering from MS (multiple sclerosis).
    A

ADVERSE REACTIONS

A

Most people react in some way to a bee sting, and as a result many people regard themselves as 'allergic to bee stings'. However, US estimates show that the number of people with some form of allergy to insect stings is only 1-2%. The percentage of total deaths due to bee venom allergies is 0.0008%, or less than 1 in 12 million.

The initial reaction to a bee sting is local redness, swelling, pain and itchiness. However this is not an indication of bee venom allergy, since the medical definition of a stinging insect allergy is sting-induced systemic reactions by the body that occurs somewhere other than the local area of the sting. Pain and redness is a 'normal reaction'.

A larger local reaction can occur in the area of the sting in a radius of 3 inches (10cm) or more, increasing in size over several days, and creating massive swelling. This type of larger local reaction is also not life-threatening, unless the sting and swelling occurs nearby the airway.

Bee Venom allergy can create a systemic allergic reaction that affects the circulatory and respiratory systems!

Reactions include shock, unconsciousness, fainting, difficulty breathing and massive swelling of the throat! Symptoms include nausea, dizziness, an urge to use the toilet, general weakness, itchy palms, soles, eyes and throat. Relaxation and reassurance of the patient should be encouraged in order to prevent panic. Panic can make the condition worse, breathing troubles may follow, and left unchecked could lead to cardiovascular failure and death!

When breathing problems occur, immediate medical attention is required! Intra-muscular injection of epinephrine (adrenaline) is the recognized treatment to alleviate the symptoms of allergy (Barach 1984).
    A

ATTENTION! A person generally does NOT suffer an allergic reaction on their FIRST exposure to insect venom. The first sting causes the body to produce an allergy-causing antibody (IgE). When the person receives a SECOND sting later in time, the venom causes an IgE induced reaction!

A

Research has shown that there is no link between sufferers of bee venom allergy and sufferers of other allergies such as asthma, hay fever and food allergies. (Settipane 1972, Lockey 1988).

Bee Venom is also incorporated in ointments, inhalations and tablets (Sharma and Singh, 1983) Commercial creams are manufactured that include bee venom, forapin and apicosan in Germany, apvene in France and immenin in Austria (Krell 1993). The ointments are used in topical applications on inflamed and sore joints.

MANUKA HONEY with BEE VENOM & GINGER 'Actiflex Plus' from New Zealand is now available at Manuka Honey USA www.manukahoneyusa.com
    TOLL-FREE 1-800 395 2196 Tel: (541) 902 0979
    A

How to take Manuka Honey with Bee Venom
    & Ginger 'Actiflex Plus'

A

MANUKA HONEY with Bee Venom and Ginger is called Actiflex Plus. Actiflex Plus is best taken without food and left under the tongue as long as possible, since tasteless bee venom is best absorbed in the mouth. Start out with taking just 1/4 teaspoon of Actiflex Plus once a day, as some people may risk allergic reactions. A small amount of Actiflex Plus can help immunize yourself. Build up gradually to half a teaspoon a day. Within a week or two, you should be able to take a teaspoon of Actiflex Plus, up to 3x a day.

LINKS about APITHERAPY (BEE VENOM THERAPY)

Apitherapy Symposium
    American Apitherapy Society (this website is soon to come)
    a
    Apitherapy Reference Data Base including Apitherapy Societies, Up-coming Events, Apitherapy Links & Resources, Apitherapy Contacts and Discussion Forums
    a
    Bee Venom Therapy Information

FINAL IMPORTANT COMMENT !

A

We strongly advise you to seek medical advice from your doctor FIRST before buying Actiflex Plus. We (Manuka Honey USA and it's employees) can not be held responsible for ANY outcome you may experience from this product or any other product bought from Manuka Honey USA.

We recommend, that you print out this entire page and bring it to your doctor for a professional review! To find out more about Bee Venom Therapy you can do research on Apitherapy on the Internet, Libraries etc. to better familiarize yourself with this type of therapy. More links are also found at HONEY RESOURCE LINKS.
    When you buy Actiflex Plus or any other product from Active Manuka Honey USA, you automatically agree to hold MANUKA HONEY USA and it's employees harmless. It is your sole responsibility to seek professional medical advice for all your medical needs.

Manuka Honey USA does NOT make any health-claims of any kind of any of it's products sold. Natural remedies are used at ones own responsibility!

a
    We encourage our Customers to do a lot of research online as well as in your local library about Bee Venom Therapy in general, in order to know as much as possible about this alternative treatment. Share the information you found and printed out with your doctor. Have yourself tested by your doctor, to make sure that you are NOT allergic to bee venom and also discuss with your doctor if any other medication, vitamins or herbs you may be taking, may cause serious side effects when taken together with Actiflex Plus (Manuka Honey with Bee Venom). Once you have your doctor's approval, you may go ahead and place your order with Manuka Honey USA.

When searching for more information on the internet and in your local library, search for terms like:

- bee venom therapy
    - apitherapy
    - alternative treatments for arthritis
    - alternative treatments for MS
    - bee venom etc.
    a

a

Enter your email address here to receive our FREE
    monthly Honey Newsletter - $ 59.- value!

a

Above information is a summary of the 'Executive Summary of COMVITA Research Review', Comvita New Zealand MANUKA HONEY with Bee Venom called 'Actiflex Plus' is sold in the US at MANUKA HONEY USA and shipped worldwide. To order Actiflex Plus CLICK HERE

a

ACTIVE MANUKA
    HONEY MANUKA
    HONEY MANUKA HONEY
    w/ BEE VENOM MANUKA HONEY
    COUGH SYRUP
    MANUKA HONEY
    COUGH DROPS MANUKA
    OIL MANUKA
    SOAP PROPOLIS
    TOOTHPASTE
    HONEY TIPS
    and RECIPES GIFTS ORDER HERE TOLL-FREE
    1-800 395 2196

HONEY RESOURCE LINKS including:
    Research Reports & Instructions How To apply
    Manuka Honey internally and externally for
    Burns, Wounds, Ulcers and Sores.

SECURE SHOPPING CART - ORDER HERE

HOME PAGE E-MAIL

About Us | Company Policy | Company Contact | Testimonies | FAQ | Feedback | Favorite Links