Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Anyone know where Christina Symanski is?

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Maybe my sniffer is not as sensitive as yours, but I don't feel that this article played the martyr card, certainly not with respect to her relationship with Jimmy. (I'm guessing that he is the driving force behind both of these newspaper pieces, judging from all of the photos of him with Christina and alone.) There is only one reference of her expressing concern that she not be a burden on him, and this was not the thrust of the piece.

I didn't come away from reading this with the impression that Christina's decision to end her life was so so that her boyfriend could be emancipated from her condition and don't think the author overplayed that part of the story.
    Ending it this way seems, to me, to put an emphasis on it
    Morganti said he could never get over her and kept coming back to see her. He tried seeing someone else but broke up with that woman and never tried to find another girlfriend.

"I couldn’t," he said. "I don’t know, maybe now I can.I think she believed that, by dying, she was letting me live."
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Nicole, I think this is a case of unintended writing stucture.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français View Post
    Nicole, I think this is a case of unintended writing stucture.
    frankly: bull. what message do you see that closing statement sending to disabled people? and what message do you think will be in this hypothetical movie? dreyfuss all over again in whose life is it anyway. i'm not pretending to judge here, but why is this suddenly hitting the newsfeeds? i saw it on aol and yahoo. if the family and christina wanted privacy (perfectly understandable), it seems somebody is not respecting these wishes.
    Last edited by cass; 02-17-2012 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    I think someone has been hired to push the story. It is appearing simultaneously in several places after being dormant for awhile after Christina's death. Now they are emphasizing the relationship with the boyfriend. I wonder if a movie may be in the works. I think the story could be very successful as a movie, Jill Kinmont's story in reverse for the new millenium.
    I've wondered a great deal about this lately. I also think someone is driving the story and perhaps a movie is in the making. She's been gone for 2-1/2 months now and the story is on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    what message do you see that closing statement sending to disabled people?
    That most able-bodied people don't want to date cripples.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    frankly: bull. what message do you see that closing statement sending to disabled people? and what message do you think will be in this hypothetical movie? dreyfuss all over again in whose life is it anyway. i'm not pretending to judge here, but why is this suddenly hitting the newsfeeds? i saw it on aol and yahoo. if the family and christina wanted privacy (perfectly understandable), it seems somebody is not respecting these wishes.
    See post #81. Christina wrote a book, co-authored with her boyfriend, to be published after her death.

Christina's sister Killeen comments here on the Daily Mail article.

So sad. Of course most of us have been where her mind was, but we find inner strength some how to move on. My strength is from God. So glad she was saved. Do you know if her art is for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Never noticed Huffpo's Weird News before. But apparently it gets pretty decent traffic considering that there are 750+ comments to this article (and what a waste of time to read them).
    Yes I found myself wishing I could get that time back too.

I followed her posts here and would have never considered them weird. It is just highly insensitive or it is to me to put that story in the weird news section.

But I hate the way the whole thing is being portrayed anyway. I certainly don't see her parents as villains and if that were my daughter, I would be exactly where her mother was on her last day.

When and if I choose to do the same due to chronic pain, I would hope my daughter would be in the same place for me. She may not understand but I would hope she would support. One family member already told me that "she could not see taking drugs/any kind of drugs but when I brought up her thyroid medicine...oh that was different".

I wanted to reply on NM facebook post but I just couldn't find the right words. I have adopted the stance that if I can't find the words "I will pass". It was just heartbreaking for them to call her selfish when they had not experienced what she went through in her daily life.

I still don't like the portrayal of this boyfriend though. She left a legacy so much more than love for or of him.

We all go through our own personal hell with each of our injuries. There is so much more than just the assumption of just "living with it".
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

It's always sad when when I hear of another person in our situation who decides to end their life. I hate the fact her loved ones had to watch and wait 2 months for her life to end. I can't imagine their pain.

What Christina Symanski chose to do was tragic but it was her choice. High level spinal cord injuries take away so much of a person's independence and autonomy...I know from first hand experience...my injury was at c4/5. It's as if Christina reclaimed complete and total control of her life in the way she wanted. Though I wouldn't choose Christina's route as she ended her life, I understand it...

I think people respond to living with a life-changing spinal cord injury in different ways...some people adapt well and move on with life, some people adapt as best they can and just try to get through each day and some people just don't adapt well to having a spinal cord injury...at some point the pain, health problems and many changes to their life becomes too much to endure.