Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Silver talks to me

Quote Originally Posted by Jawaid View Post
    Jerry Silver is never like others. It is because of his work and great efforts that chase is being considered for human trials. Thing is that we want trial as soon as possible. I hope Jerry will give some news to us.
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves. We've heard the talk, now let's see if he 'walks the walk.'

According to kivi, on another thread - nerve re-routing will never work - wait and see on grafting. According to my urologist in Toronto, the bladder nerve grafting will never work because that muscle is dead and gone.

I say this not to antagonize, but to protect you from eventual disappointment, yet again.

We are losing far too many people lately to death, whether intentional or not.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Thats all i was saying is it sounds good, lets see if he delivers or if its goin to end up like everything else. I sincerely hope it works cause his approach sounds good but so did lots of other things. Lets jus see. Goodnight everyone.

Hans, I mentioned yesterday that Dr Silver said that he would only give information from the meeting if Acorda allows him; somewhat of a bummer. the key to me is if they can fast track trials for people on vents. If the success can be identifed in a trial as Dr Silver thinks, this would be great for those on vents. Only time will tell. We need some success and in our life times. by the way Pens and Bucs looked good .

anthony

Quote Originally Posted by keeping on View Post
    Hans, I mentioned yesterday that Dr Silver said that he would only give information from the meeting if Acorda allows him; somewhat of a bummer. the key to me is if they can fast track trials for people on vents. If the success can be identifed in a trial as Dr Silver thinks, this would be great for those on vents. Only time will tell. We need some success and in our life times. by the way Pens and Bucs looked good .

anthony

I would like to comment on my impression of how the Acorda chondroitinase meeting went yesterday. I presented first on the history of how my lab first discovered that proteoglycans block nerve regeneration and our current theories on the molecular mechanisms of exactly how these molecules cause regeneration failure. I ended with our observations of the strong beneficial affect of ch’ase in promoting respiratory plasticity and functional recovery 1.5 years after cord injury in adult rats. This was followed by James Fawcett who reviewed an array of data on the therapeutic benefits of the enzyme in a multitude of injury models. Then Mark Tuszynski (who is injecting ch’ase into a primate model of cord hemisection) presented his data showing that administration of ch’ase into the primate spinal cord is safe and can cover a very large area. A major part of the conversation after Acorda presented their ch'ase data concerned issues related to administration of the enzyme and I am now convinced that administration of the enzyme is no longer a major roadblock to moving forward. Let me say that I thought the meeting was fantastic. For me this is a dream come true that the company is seriously contemplating a clinical trial. I asked Tony Caggiano of Acorda if he would mind fielding questions about Acorda’s position concerning a clinical trial with ch’ase and he is quite open to receiving E-mails or calls from anybody who is interested

Thanks for your efforts Dr. Silver.

Quote Originally Posted by jsilver View Post
    I would like to comment on my impression of how the Acorda chondroitinase meeting went yesterday. I presented first on the history of how my lab first discovered that proteoglycans block nerve regeneration and our current theories on the molecular mechanisms of exactly how these molecules cause regeneration failure. I ended with our observations of the strong beneficial affect of ch’ase in promoting respiratory plasticity and functional recovery 1.5 years after cord injury in adult rats. This was followed by James Fawcett who reviewed an array of data on the therapeutic benefits of the enzyme in a multitude of injury models. Then Mark Tuszynski (who is injecting ch’ase into a primate model of cord hemisection) presented his data showing that administration of ch’ase into the primate spinal cord is safe and can cover a very large area. A major part of the conversation after Acorda presented their ch'ase data concerned issues related to administration of the enzyme and I am now convinced that administration of the enzyme is no longer a major roadblock to moving forward. Let me say that I thought the meeting was fantastic. For me this is a dream come true that the company is seriously contemplating a clinical trial. I asked Tony Caggiano of Acorda if he would mind fielding questions about Acorda’s position concerning a clinical trial with ch’ase and he is quite open to receiving E-mails or calls from anybody who is interested

Sounds like it's getting very exciting and interesting! Thanks
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Blog Entries
    Thank You Dr.Silver. Any chance of getting Ch'ase included in any of Dr. Youngs Chinese trials?

Chris, if you'll have a chance to talk to Dr.Silver, try, please, to worm out of him details of this procedure:
    Bridge building across the lesion to promote frank regeneration is also possible in humans (this has already been done in Taiwan using segments of PNS autografts) although to maximize this approach will surely take longer to figure out all the hurdles that need to be overcome at very lengthy chronic stages.
    He also claims that:
    The bridging approach we use to bypass the lesion is equally accepted as yet another strategy that could lead to a permanent, not temporary fix as you suggest.
    I still have a doubt about it because don't quite understand why nerve graft doesn't degrade in the course of time, like here:
    Quote Originally Posted by xysergroup View Post
    According to most recent update from Dr. Peters, "only ONE (or TWO) had reflex remaining and much weaker than earlier" in his patients at 36 months post-op. According to Dr. Tuite of All Children’s Hospital in FL who reported one spinal cord injury patient last month, at 6 months "Urologists saw bladder contractions on urodynamic testing in the proper dermatomal distribution to suggest bladder reflex". Unfortunately, at 2 years, surgical re-exploration found that "Nerve action potentials could not be measured across the anastomosis. No electrophysiological activity. Nerves did not grow past anastomosis".
    lynnifer, regarding your urologist's assertion, I woudn't be so categorical. What is critical in all this mess is reinnervation, if this goal will be achieved, all the rest is a piece of cake.

Thank you very much for keeping us informed!

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Thanks for popping in to update us, Dr 'Hiho' Silver. What can we do now to speed this along - still send emails to Acorda?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12