Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Jerry Silver talks to me

Jerry Silver talks to me

I have been exchanging emails with Jerry Silver and he has advised that he is quite happy for me to pass the answers on to Carecure so as many people can understand the concepts as possible. If I get some things wrong I'm sure he will come here to sort it out and answer any other questions. I'll put it very simply as I understand it.

He does not agree with the guy that said a cure will take decades. He says we "are not so far away but the 'cure' will come incrementally"

At the recent Neuroscience meetings in DC, Acorda Therapeutics, International Spinal Research Trust and Susan Harkema (part of the epidural stimulator team) all met with Jerry and expressed their excitement about his results and the desire to go forward to clinical trials. This would be the simple idea of working with those with spared function and axons (incompletes) and using chondroitinaise with intense rehab and/or epidural stimulation. Chondroitinaise is the safest, easiest and most proven therapy (over 100 labs have reported positive results). To quote "You should be aware that typically multiple functions can return in our animal models. thus, often improved walking is accompanied by improved bladder and bowel control" It is not certain how much return any individual would get. (I personally wonder whether some incompletes who got not enough back would also need the bridge building described below) On the other hand Rob Summers got quite a lot back with only epidural stimulation and NO chondroitinaise - (my thoughts again).

For complete injuries a bridge building technique will be required along with the chondroitinaise and rehab etc. Jerry has already been invited to present data to UCSF in the spring of 2012 hopefully with the aim of starting a clinical trial of peripheral nerve grafting, which is a relatively simple procedure but requires a team of dedicated neurosurgeons to write an IRB(?).

He is hoping to submit the work on the respiratory system to Nature and the bladder work to a high impact journal.

It seems these two results have convinced the right people that clinical trials are the next logical step in chondroitinaise and even nerve grafts. Anyway I am really excited and I sense Jerry Silver is too.

I have probably not described something right or over simplified the issues - they do seem elegantly simple solutions to a complex problem but maybe sometimes in life that can be the case............

My two questions I would have at this stage are, presumably the nerve grafting is less proven than chondroitinaise, (not to say it doesn't work) but hundreds of labs for chase seems a lot and fairly hard to argue with? I know grafting goes back at least to Aguayo in 1981.

The second, would there still be a problem with injuries in the neck or lumbar spine where vital nerve cells are lost? I can envisage a bizare situation where someone's breathing is returned, they can walk etc but can't move their fingers because their hands are innervated at C4/C5 where the injury is.

Anyway I hope this post is not too inaccurate

This is good news compared to the last thread which basically stated give up and be the happy little vegie (f&*k that)

Very encouraging Christopher.

Hope to hear from u about lumbar injuries too where i have lost bladder bowel and sexual function whether Jerry is going to help me.

Way to keep at it Chris. This is sure better news than the previous forecast of decades toa cure.

nice chris, thanks. and thanks to jerry silver too!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Paddon View Post
    At the recent Neuroscience meetings in DC, Acorda Therapeutics, International Spinal Research Trust and Susan Harkema (part of the epidural stimulator team) all met with Jerry and expressed their excitement about his results and the desire to go forward to clinical trials. This would be the simple idea of working with those with spared function and axons (incompletes) and using chondroitinaise with intense rehab and/or epidural stimulation. Chondroitinaise is the safest, easiest and most proven therapy (over 100 labs have reported positive results). To quote "You should be aware that typically multiple functions can return in our animal models. thus, often improved walking is accompanied by improved bladder and bowel control" It is not certain how much return any individual would get. (I personally wonder whether some incompletes who got not enough back would also need the bridge building described below) On the other hand Rob Summers got quite a lot back with only epidural stimulation and NO chondroitinaise - (my thoughts again).
    Good work. Great post, especiality after the knock-out from the 10 year guy, nearly brought me to tears. As you may remember Chris, I had a good feeling about the epidural stimulation (Susan Harkema) findings reported a few weeks back. This really is sounding very promising. Wouldn't it be great if they could utilize Wise's clinical trail network to get things moving.

Geoman
    "Wheelie Wanna Walk!"

Thank you. Your posting gave me the boost I needed after reading the "decades away " article

Chris, thanks for the contrast douche and a breath of fresh air, would like to name this passage: "Jerry has already been invited to present data to UCSF in the spring of 2012 hopefully with the aim of starting a clinical trial of peripheral nerve grafting" a "Spring Awakening".

Quote Originally Posted by CAS View Post
    This is good news compared to the last thread which basically stated give up and be the happy little vegie (f&*k that)
    Yep!

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming