Thread: disreflexia

disreflexia

ended up in the ER today because my disreflexia was so bad and they didn't do jack just hooked me up to some machines, my blood pressure was not really high but my head was pounding so bad I felt like it was going to explode. Isn't there some medication that I can take to stop something like this?

What was your BP? They really shoulda given you something if the a/d was really that bad, thats crazy they did not, are you sure they did not hook you up to IV with something? Did you tell them you thought it was a/d? Some medical professionals really do not know a lot about it surprisingly.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by redroc2 View Post
    ended up in the ER today because my disreflexia was so bad and they didn't do jack just hooked me up to some machines, my blood pressure was not really high but my head was pounding so bad I felt like it was going to explode. Isn't there some medication that I can take to stop something like this?
    What is your level of injury?

According to your profile you were injured in 1993. How have you survived all this time without knowing about drugs to ameliorate the effects of autonomia?
    Here is a recommendation for medication:
    Apply Nitroglycerine Paste. 1-2 inches to skin q 2 hrs. May wipe off if BP stable. Reapply if needed.
    or
    Administer Nifedipine (brand names: Adalat, Nifediac, Cordipin, Nifedical, and Procardia) 10 mg capsule (immediate release form). May repeat in 20-30 min if necessary. Avoid sublingual which can cause abrupt hypotension.
    All of these medications must be prescribed by your physician.

The thing that you have to do first, before medicating is find out what is causing the autonomia and do what is needed to alleviate the cause. Was you bladder over distended, bowel problems, pressure sore, other skin irritations, etc.

All the best,
    GJ

What is/was the cause? you need to remove that- that is the treatment- if you do that you won't have AD. Was your bladder empty? No UTi. NO impaction or other issues? Did it go down without meds? Nitropaste usually given if over 150 and can't find cause to take care of.
    CWO

when I first got in there the first number was 174/?? cant remember second number, then it went from that to 145/74 then 139/69. I have no idea what my blood pressure should be are all those numbers considered high? The cause what bowel, I am having issues with my program lasting upwards of 3 hours total pain

Quote Originally Posted by redroc2 View Post
    when I first got in there the first number was 174/?? cant remember second number, then it went from that to 145/74 then 139/69. I have no idea what my blood pressure should be are all those numbers considered high? The cause what bowel, I am having issues with my program lasting upwards of 3 hours total pain
    You are going to the same frustration I am. I'm stunned that my ER was so inept with AD. But at least you have an idea what the issue is.

Anything over 150 systolic is considered AD on the Spine Ward here. Before I can feel the head pounding that you describe, my BP is usually 220 systolic. As I posted elsewhere, I had a cysto & urodynamics canceled yesterday because my blood pressure was over 170 systolic.

My nitro paste says to use only 1/2 inch for 20 minutes or untill stable
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    What is your level of injury?

According to your profile you were injured in 1993. How have you survived all this time without knowing about drugs to ameliorate the effects of autonomia?
    Here is a recommendation for medication:
    Apply Nitroglycerine Paste. 1-2 inches to skin q 2 hrs. May wipe off if BP stable. Reapply if needed.
    or
    Administer Nifedipine (brand names: Adalat, Nifediac, Cordipin, Nifedical, and Procardia) 10 mg capsule (immediate release form). May repeat in 20-30 min if necessary. Avoid sublingual which can cause abrupt hypotension.
    All of these medications must be prescribed by your physician.

The thing that you have to do first, before medicating is find out what is causing the autonomia and do what is needed to alleviate the cause. Was you bladder over distended, bowel problems, pressure sore, other skin irritations, etc.

All the best,
    GJ

im having the same problem to i was put in the hospital 2 days when i got to the er my BP was 220/180 they used nitro past but ive been trying to shit everytime i get AD its driving me crazy

Have you tried EnemeezPlus?
    CWO