Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: New gal here

Quote Originally Posted by Lorrie View Post
    Jilly,work the chair! You're a young, pretty girl that happens to be on wheels. You're going to get gawkers, make it work for you! Just use that attention as if your on the red carpet! It's all up to you how other see you.
    Absolutely BRILLIANTLY stated, Lorrie!

Thanks everyone! Hope you are all doing great! It's been a busy week for me, getting ready to leave on vacation on Monday. Ya know, doing the typical girl things like hair, nails, and of course, shopping!

The shopping went well, but it is definitely weird to shop for new clothes knowing that I'm going to be sitting all the time. It just seems like many of the clothes that I'd wear before I got hurt just aren't all that conducive to being in a wheelchair. I definitely don't want to sacrifice my style (hey, just because my legs don't work doesn't mean I can't look good, right?), but I want to try to find clothes that are sexy and stylish but that work for a gal in a chair. Any tips?

-Jillian

What did you wear prior? You should not have to change much but the length of your pants.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

I hate shopping for pants myself. I wonder why you said she had to change the length of her pants since she should still be able to wear what she wore before the injury.

I, on the other hand, have to shorten my pants or buy capris because they look like long pants on me. I have been in a wheelchair all my life and am of short stature.

Welcome again J!

It's been almost 9 years for me and I know you'll be fine. I have a big mirror near the front door and ever so often I'll roll by it, look over and say, "Oh, I'm in a wheelchair!"

Pat

Thanks! I guess the issue is that wearing short and skirts (remember, I go to school in Florida, so it's always hot!) isn't quite as easy as it used to be knowing that I am always sitting now. I find that I'm OK wearing jeans and such, though of course, they take a long time to put on. I like wearing capris too, and I also find that wearing some of the gear that Lululemon makes is very stylish and relatively easy to get on.

I'm looking forward to my vacation - though still very anxious about the airport situation. I'm sure I'll be fine, and I just need to "do it" and get on. I'll have my family there to help, so that will make it easier.

I guess the hardest thing to deal with (aside from the obvious) is the fact that SO many people are so oblivious about what life is like for someone who is in a wheelchair. Between people using the handicapped stalls in bathrooms and businesses not having wide doors, it's a real challenge for sure.

-Jillian

Been 6 years for me in January and started college August of same year as my accident. Things definitely will take some time and just be patient with people your age. They WILL ask you questions you're not expecting and don't want to answer. My way of handling these situations is answering every question they ask with honesty and joking about my situation. Makes everything easier and more fun. Dunno if that helps but I've talked with others that said it helps them as well.

Everyone is also going to think you need help. Most annoying thing in the world to me. I like being independent so it irks me when I drop a pen in class and someone will get up from the other side of the room to come pick the pen up for me. I always say thank you when offered help even though I refuse. People are ignorant so just be patient.

Jillian -- Not a fan of cold weather myself and the snow can stop you dead in your tracks. Still, having been in NYC for all of my 28 years of paraplegic life, I disagree with your assessment that it's not a wheelchair friendly city. Perfect, no. But it is in many respects more doable than other cities I've visited. You're still too new to SCI to have figured out how to get around and enjoy the abundance of what's available here and nowhere else; however, it can be done.

There is an active wheelchair community in NYC and lots of resources and activities available through the outreach programs at Mount Sinai and the Greater New York Chapter of the National Spinal Cord Injury Association.

PM me if you have any questions.

Welcome, and sorry you had to find us, but at least we're here to be found.