Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New gal here

LOL! Works for me! Go right ahead.

Thanks again everyone. I can't tell you how glad I am to have found this website. I've been reading some of the posts here and the information is awesome.

I'm really excited to be heading back to school next month - especially to trade the cold NY weather for nice, hot, sunny Florida weather again! From what I hear, the school is surprisingly accessible, and so far, everyone who I have spoken to at the school seems really willing to do what's needed to make my life easier. Being away at school is going to force me to become more independent (because my parents/sisters won't be there), so I know that I'll just have to find new ways to do things. It's funny how before I became paralyzed, I never gave a second thought to things like curb height, accessible doors, roll in bathrooms, etc, and now these things are a part of my normal routine. My apartment building in NYC is pretty good, though my room and the bathroom have had to be redone to accommodate my chair.

I suppose that what I'm worried about is the stigma of being the girl in the wheelchair now, but I guess that too comes with time. I'm trying desperately to move beyond the "why me" stage, but like you've all said, it isn't easy. I know it will happen though, if for no other reason than necessity - It's not like my lower body and legs are just going to magically start working again, so I need to accept the fact that this is how it is (until some of this stem cell stuff comes thru at least!).

In other news, I'm getting ready to take a vacation with my family to Aruba. It's going to be my first vacation since the accident. I'm nervous about the airport and such, but it will be fun to get away. It's going to be weird not feeling the sand beneath my feet, but I am looking forward to getting tan and just unwinding. Does anyone have any tips for surviving the airport/airplane?

-Jillian

Quote Originally Posted by zhaodavid View Post
    Hey Jillian,

Welcome to the site. I'm sorry about your accident. I actually just joined a few days ago as well. I'm a T11 Incomplete para from SoCal. The injury happened four months ago when my friend fell asleep at the wheel. I'm 20 so I'm sure there will be some things that we can talk about that will crisscross.

I see that you're returning to school and I'd like you to know that I will be making that transition as well next month at UC Irvine. A friend of mine who was injured in her 2nd year of college at UCLA also had to make this adjustment and from what I've heard... it's not easy. As intimidating as it may be though, I'm sure you know that it'll pay off in the end so keep your spirits up!

I understand your 180 degree turn very well- as many of us do- and I can only say how great it is to know that your attitude is right on track!

The eye level thing is such a trip... I know. I'm 6'0ft so being in the chair has changed my perspective of the world- literally. I think it'll be easier to accept once we're back in school.

NYC must be pretty harsh 'cause yeah- I heard it isn't very wheelchair friendly... but there are people advocating for us everyday so it'll get better (I don't know if you've heard about the handicapped taxi's thing going around).

Anyhow, I'm glad that you have a great attitude about this whole thing. I know it's hard sometimes but, hang in there buddy.

Also- I don't mean to get all research-y but, there are clinical trials going on for stem cells in humans to treat spinal cord injury. It'll be a matter of time before they find something that'll make us able to use our lower extremities. It gives me something to look forward to so I hope you can also find comfort in it. The guy who is doing the research is at UC Irvine so I'll be keeping an eye on him for sure.

Don't get sunburned!!!Enjoy yourself.
    CWO

I would try to sit on your cushion..I use a roho..and prop your feet up on back pack or pillows once you take off..

Take a imodium before you fly..I always take a valuim too.,,but not before I actually am in my airplane chair..as you need to transfer and all that.

I used to use transfer chairs to go to bathroom..but not anymore..I just got a rx for a foley, put it in, tape it to leg, and no worries! I can drink all the water an drinks I want and not stress and get dehydrated! Just take it out when you get there (or keep it in as many places outside of good ol ADA USA are not accessible and just wear a cute long skirt and enjoy! and have another one for your return.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Jilly, Miami will be great for you. Look in to the Miami Project for networking, info, exercise...also Shake-A-Leg if you are interested in sailing. So much to do in Miami and people are much more open and accepting. Best to you!

p.s. if you have any seating issues, Alain at ergo-medic can customize a cushion for you, he's in Miami. I'll look up links when i have a little more time.
    ---------------
    Great for making new helpful friends, hints and tips, working out, keeping up with new studies, technology and fun events....

http://www.miamiproject.miami.edu/
    -----------------
    For boating, sailing....
    http://www.shakealegmiami.org/site/c....BF03/Home.htm
    --------------------
    For custom seating, personalized service (the best!)
    http://www.ergomedic-usa.com/page3.html
    ----------------------

Not sure if you drive yet but "she rocks" may be able to help you with that and also you may want to look in to DVR here:

http://www.rehabworks.org/
    ----------------------

Feel free to message me if you have a question i might be able to answer....
    Good luck, chica! It may not feel like it now but you'll be better than fine with a little time. Hang tight, fake it til you make it
    Last edited by Lorrie; 12-04-2011 at 06:02 PM.
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Thanks for the awesome info!

I'm definitely looking forward to getting back to Miami. I love it there! I'm actually finding that people here in NYC are kinder than you'd expect, but the nature of the city itself makes it really difficult to navigate. It's truly amazing how un-accessible the subways are!

I'll definitely check out those links!

Quote Originally Posted by Lorrie View Post
    Jilly, Miami will be great for you. Look in to the Miami Project for networking, info, exercise...also Shake-A-Leg if you are interested in sailing. So much to do in Miami and people are much more open and accepting. Best to you!

p.s. if you have any seating issues, Alain at ergo-medic can customize a cushion for you, he's in Miami. I'll look up links when i have a little more time.
    ---------------
    Great for making new helpful friends, hints and tips, working out, keeping up with new studies, technology and fun events....

http://www.miamiproject.miami.edu/
    -----------------
    For boating, sailing....
    http://www.shakealegmiami.org/site/c....BF03/Home.htm
    --------------------
    For custom seating, personalized service (the best!)
    http://www.ergomedic-usa.com/page3.html
    ----------------------

Not sure if you drive yet but "she rocks" may be able to help you with that and also you may want to look in to DVR here:

http://www.rehabworks.org/
    ----------------------

Feel free to message me if you have a question i might be able to answer....
    Good luck, chica! It may not feel like it now but you'll be better than fine with a little time. Hang tight, fake it til you make it

If you are using a rigid frame, manual chair you might benefit from a Freewheel to cover a lot of ground on campus. The Freewheel comes with a stowing bar you can attach to chair to stow the Freewheel during class. One of the CC members invented and produces the Freewheel - check out www.gofreewheel.com. If you will have to cover a lot of distance from dorm to classes the Freewheel could be great on campus. Also, as someone mentioned keep a poncho in your backpack for those Florida daily showers and buy gardening gloves at Home Depot or similar store. I use the blue rubber ones with dimpled fingers and palms. great for grip on rain slickened pushrims.

I returned to NYU to grad school (with trepidation) shortly after my injury in early 70's, met my wife while attending school, worked in my field for 30 years prior to retirement. Have fun.

Go have fun at school and let nothing stop the pursuit of your dreams.

That Freewheel looks pretty cool. I'll have to see about getting one, too. The Univ. of NE at Omaha campus is pretty accessible, but it would be great around my neighborhood!

With the flight a lot of the airline you can request the front bulkhead seat at the gate and transfer right from your wheelchair into the outside seat (first row seat) on the plane, what I generally do is scoot across the seats as I like a window seat and when you make your final transfer put a decent cushion under your butt. Years ago I use to sit on the regular seats with no cushion and was always wondering why I would sweat and A/D, that's why, pain in my butt from no cushion under me.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Ugh! You'll need that Free wheel if you go to movies on Lincoln Rd! Love it there though Can't imagine where else you'll need it here really.

Jilly,work the chair! You're a young, pretty girl that happens to be on wheels. You're going to get gawkers, make it work for you! Just use that attention as if your on the red carpet! It's all up to you how other see you.

Recently, my friends and i went to Fontainebleau for Halloween, dressed up,,,when we arrived, cameras were whipped out flashing, we just gave our little poses and carried on. During the night, we were asking for pics w people in cool costumes and people were asking us for pics w/us! 1 guy asked if our chairs were part of our costume whatever! Our cute waiter passed me his # as we were leaving... You will be much more comfy here, i know, i'm from the NE, yes ne people are kind, thoughtful but here, people are less phased by dis', don't give that pity as much...maybe bc there are more of us here out and about...

Anywho, let us know how things go Keep your head up and enjoy your life no matter!
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~