Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New gal here

Hello Welcome
    I'm ten months post an I'm starting to settle in to this new life. Keeping busy is very helpful. I workout what muscles work a lot. What has also helped me a great deal is getting a hand cycle so I can get some cardio. Nothing better then a good pant. Cycling will help you keep those gymnastic arms and shoulders.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

welcome to the forum there's alot of knowledge to be had here

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I've spent some time just reading thru some of the different threads on this site and I have already found a ton of useful information. While I'm pretty sure none of us wants to be here, It's really reassuring to know that I'm not alone, so thanks.

I think the biggest thing for me now, aside from the physical challenges and getting stronger and getting used to being in a chair all day, is dealing with the stigma of being in a wheelchair. I definitely notice the people who just stare and make remarks of pity. Like I'm not just a girl anymore, but a disabled girl, or a girl in a wheelchair. To be honest, I do it to myself too - like I look at my body and get sick over the fact that my legs are still attached to my body, but I can't use them. I know that I'm more than my injury, but it seems like the general public doesn't know that. My friends have been amazing and supportive, but even with them I sense the pity. How do you overcome that? Does it just get better over time?

It gets better over time.... or it can. You are on version 2 of yourself. There is no reason that you cannot kick butt in life.

It is early but learn to hold your head up, smile. If someone is staring, give them a clear "hello" or "hi" with a smile. It usually snaps them right out of it.

A wheelchair is not what will limit you and is not what defines you as a person, unless you let it.
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Welcome Jillian my best advice to you would be be very cautious with your skin and make sure you don't get a pressure sore. Especially now when your progressing and becoming more independent because getting a pressure sore can bring things to a crashing hault. I just had one that had to have surgery and have lost a year of my life so be careful i wish i was.
    Its only at the brink of our own destruction that we learn to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jillyk View Post
    I look at my body and get sick over the fact that my legs are still attached to my body, but I can't use them. I know that I'm more than my injury, but it seems like the general public doesn't know that. My friends have been amazing and supportive, but even with them I sense the pity. How do you overcome that? Does it just get better over time?
    I remember a couple of years after I was diagnosed. (Birth defect that would eliminate walking) Like you, I was very physically active. I was 17, trying to start community college, my legs were super-painful and I was totally frusterated by having to haul them around with me when they were relatively useless. I actually spent a couple of months insisting I just wanted them amputated so they wouldn't hurt, I was so mad! Eventually, I found out what effects leg amputation has on the rest of the body and discovered it really wasn't such a hot idea...and I learned to live with it. And to raise a son who is not, I am pleased to say, intimidated by wheelchairs at all. I think the frusteration and anger is something we all have to go through. But the operative word is "through" because we also have to avoid getting stuck in it so we can come out the other side - where life can still be pretty darn good. If you get
    stuck, you still get all the cr*p, but you miss out on the fun parts.

You'll get there, I think. It just takes time.

BTW, I met my first husband at that school. Everyone had been apologizing to me all day, and I was ready to murder the next person who apologized for something that was my fault. I didn't look, and accidentally crashed into his legs with my footrest. Hard. HE apologized (bad timing!) and I replied "That's fine. I'll let it go this time. But DON'T let it happen again!" He saw the humor, asked me out, and a romance was born. Not every guy is dismissive of a gal on wheels!
    Last edited by PhoenixFiresky; 11-30-2011 at 03:35 AM.

Welcome to CareCure!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Welcome to CareCure!
    Couldn't put it better myself!

Welcome Jillian!!!!