Thread: Shower Chair and dig stim

Shower Chair and dig stim

What self propelled shower chair works for you? We have a falling apart E & J one and all the ones I look at including the DRIVE (E and J) have a bar on the side so you cant get your arm through.

Thanks!

I've stuck with the e & j for the last 30 years
    i did pickup a marina a few years back, but the side was blocked like you said
    I never did used it, guess i should get rid of it
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by ChopperChick View Post
    What self propelled shower chair works for you? We have a falling apart E & J one and all the ones I look at including the DRIVE (E and J) have a bar on the side so you cant get your arm through.

Thanks!
    As most quads, I do not like to make changes in equipment because of unexpected things that an AB person wouldn’t think twice about, could make it unusable to me.
    A couple of weeks ago I got a new shower/commode chair, new shoes, and a Permobil M300, all within 3 days of each other. I’ll write about the others on separate threads.
    I replaced my Active Aid 480-24 which I had and used every day for about 30 years, with constant parts replacements. I received an email from southwestmedical.com and one of the highlighted pictures was an Invacare Mariner Rehab Shower Chair with 24” wheels. #6895 for a total price of $755 and free shipping. After reading all the reviews I could find, comparing the dimensions and construction materials, asking my local DME if they could match the price, I ordered one. I ordered it on Monday and received it on Wednesday morning fully assembled in a box!
    This is a very well made chair. I’m 6’2” and 175 lbs. and feel very stable in it. I like it very much; there was no big adjustment period on my part. Sturdy aluminum, stainless hardware, comfortable back, great brakes, multi position seat. Ah yes, the seat, it is hard as a rock, however my solution was the same solution I used on my Active Aid. That is, put an Action products COM1818 gel cushion on top of the existing seat. This works great. However the material used to cover the standard seat is unlike anything I’ve ever tried to glue something to. The COM1818 uses Velcro to attach to the seat. The glue on the bottom side of the Velcro will not stick to the seat. If fact all of the following will NOT stick to it: double stick tape; Gorilla Tape; Duck tape; Loctite marine epoxy; Liquid nails ; Tear mender fabric & leather adhesive. My wife was wrapping Duck tape around the seat and gel pad at three locations, and this would hold, but for only one use. She recently tried some Super glue, and this seems to be holding.
    Tex
    C4,5,6 incomplete with 100% full feeling

We have had good luck with shower/commode chairs from the following:

www.nuprodx.com

www.activeaid.com

www.RazDesignInc.com

We stopped using the E&J a long time ago (and there is no longer an E&J company...they went out of business) due to defects in their design and construction that led to potentially dangerous product failures (ie, patient falls).

None of these are cheap, but they are very durable, and meet the needs of proper positioning, padding, and access for doing bowel care (either digital stim or manual removal).

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    RAZ-SP has been super for me.. very sturdy seat - I don't think I'll ever need another one. I used a few different ones in rehab but none felt as secure (except the crazy tilt-in-space version used when my blood pressure would plummet) as this one. Crazy expensive, thank god for insurance.

Blog Entries
    I'm happy with my Raz.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
    Once again SCI-Nurse has failed to mention the very best of them all, the portable Go-Anywhere Chairs from GO! Mobility Solutions, invented by yours truly. We'll be introducing two more models in January and all models will now have hour-glass shaped seats permitting access underneath from both sides.

http://www.goesanywhere.com/products...ir-commode.php

I'll be updating the website shortly with the models and pics of the new designs.

r
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere

I'm looking to replace my RAZ. Its 11 years old and completely seized up. Casters don't turn properly, solid tires disintegrated. It's very heavy and was never very manoeuvrable. I travel with a Nuprodx which has served me well. Does anyone have feedback on their self-propelled commodes? Thanks.

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by Pucker Up View Post
    I'm looking to replace my RAZ. Its 11 years old and completely seized up. Casters don't turn properly, solid tires disintegrated. It's very heavy and was never very manoeuvrable. I travel with a Nuprodx which has served me well. Does anyone have feedback on their self-propelled commodes? Thanks.
    You might consider taking alook at the GO-Anywhere SP. If you're interested please let me know and we'll see about getting you a discount.

Cheers,

Rick
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere

I have a an activaid with castor wheels. What I did to get around the bathroom is to place several handles at strategic points around the room and use a piece of plastic pipe with a hook on the end to pull myself around the room and into and out of the shower. Pulling is a fine way to get around a small room