Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight vacuum cleaner suggestion?

Lightweight vacuum cleaner suggestion?

I wasn't sure if I should post this in Equipment but it's not a mobility device thing so ..

Can anyone give me a good suggestion for a lightweight easy to use vacuum cleaner? I'm between a lightweight upright or going with a canister though I hear troubles about towing the thing around, the hose getting caught on things etc.

I can't afford a Dyson so let's skip that. Actually I found some good reviews for the Dirt Devil Dynamite Plus upright and it's only about $70. That's more my budget.

But I need to get something different. My near twenty pounder (guessing) is killing me. I actually don't vacuum as much as I dust, so I need a hose I can run some attachements with. Figured somebody has already delt with this so, can I have some of your wisdom?

I have an Oreck, and it is really good, especially on hardwood floors. It is called the "pet vac" and only costs me about $120.00. It is light enough to put on my lap, but it can also roll along on a set of oversized casters. It came with a small brush, and the usual vacuum cleaning head. Not sure how good it would be with carpets as I don't really have any other than a doormat. It does a good job prying the endless cat hair out of it though.

Apparently they are now calling it the "little hero" but this is what I use.

http://www.oreck.com/Little-Hero-Can...Vacuum-Cleaner

Hi I have a dirt devil it does a great job imop I like it as it is very lightweight .
    I even bought one for my sister 10 yrs back
    Got one for my ol pop theyre not tooo bad
    I personally like simplicity and theyre light / affordable plus just fill out the warranty card and everything balances out imop good for the buck $$$

Thats what warrantys are for

Thumbs up The most spectacular Vacuum ever made .... Fairly cheap too !!!

30 + yrs back my mom bought some awful heavy aluminum Titanium , lead alloy thing Named > Kirby it was supposedly able to paint your car, suck honey out of bee cages , power up a backup gennerator , start a airplane engine and clean off my uncles old smelly farts on sunday football games That thing was like having a whole workshop in your vacuum closet where you keep cleaning supplies .. she may have the
    Jumper 12 v starter cable kit it is a aazing machine i mean it is so great to paint your house with your vacuum cleaner ....
    Them Kirby's I even seen a famus airjet plane company use the Kirby 2000 grease fitting attachment to fix a cabin door

Model 2000 Tri alloy Kirby's made of titanium ,aluminum , Steel , and lead weighed a ton but boy !1! By golly a person can replace a whole tool workshop by buying this awful heavy back breaking Kirby....

Yes nearly 30+ yrs back my momma she drained their bank act by purchasing a whole Kirby 2000 binford dingus Vacuum sucker bobbbulator kit
    BTw you buy a spray paint kit you get 3 yrs of stupid 1 inch wide belts free yes these belts are very special NOT
    The Kirby 2000 binford special only cost around $ 2.000 on flexi pay lifetime plan contact

monthly pmts of $30.oo a week
    56 month lease contract with the option to buy no refund policy it was very affordable
    NOT
    Kirby titanium ceramc aluminum/ steel .lead covered 2000 models only weigh about 40 lbs without the 18 foot 30 lb 3 inch sewer Sucker hose . this hose is essential ...

Lastly you even can suck a septic leech feild empty with the shmorg fitting head

What a piece of work .... NOT

Glad I dont own one lol

Sincerely GL
    Last edited by GL; 11-28-2011 at 06:11 AM.

Gl that was fkin funny as funny gets.

GL you forgot the slot in the handle for nickles to make the payments.

OP. If you can afford one, get a Roomba or one of its competitors. I've had mine for 3 years. I hated vacuuming. Not anymore. Push the button and let it go.

LOL, Judy, I remember those Kirby vacs - man, they weighed a ton but they got the job done!

For lightweight vacuum cleaners that also do the job, I second Eileen's recommendation (Oreck).

Thanks everybody, this really helps. I will check out the Oreck. I forgot about them but I have only heard good things about them. The roomba sounds interesting, I would love to just turn something loose. Maybe it could vacuum the short carpet that covers my apartment but I still need a lightweight vacuum for dusting which is the marjority of what I do.

Eileen, the idea of keeping a vacuum on my lap, I never thought of that. Clever. I do have some Shark canister thing but it's screaming loud, I actually put on ear protection and the hose is much too short. Has great suction though.

I'm going to check out the Oreck.

Thanks again everybody :-)

Grommet, I think you would like the Oreck, as it only weighs 7 lbs and rides around on my lap pretty easily. The other thing I like is that I can remove most of the hose section and just have a shorter version, which is ideal since I am sitting and closer to the floor. If I want to do distant corners I can make it full length again. Good luck.