Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Cure Decades Away

What I've noticed from these Vancouver-based researchers is that they enjoy quite a bit of government and public funding, yet they seem to be the most pessimistic about actually achieving a cure. They're still hailing animal models as some sort of "breakthrough." Where is their sense of urgency for human clinical trials? I'm not advocating government interference in the research itself, but it would be nice if someone was setting the bar a little higher than "decades away" in terms of return on investment.

I wonder also if Dr. Kwon has seen the news story from Brazil?

Scaper I can't remember when but i read in one of the Vancouver papers where somebody said if a cure is found that Dr. Kwon is a highly likely canidate to be the one that finds it. Maybe instead of being pessimistic they are realists?

Or maybe the Vancouver papers have no idea what's happening outside Vancouver?

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...e-8b127b1784cd

They get funding from sources outside Canada so I doubt funding sources throughout he world are being conned into giving them money

Lets look at this way so far everybody that has said the cure is 10 years away has been wrong. I think Wise said someplace that it was less then 5 years away.

I'm on I.V antibiotics for Epididymitis right now(probably the only time in my life I've been greatful for somewhat diminished sensation) so I don't feel like spending time trying to find that quote from Wise tonight.

Sorry you're not feeling well.

The article you've linked to only confirms what I was trying to get across, badly, apparently, if you thought I was implying a con job. The fact is, the cutting edge of cure research is not happening in Vancouver, as much as the local press would like to think so.

http://unite2fightparalysis.org/clinicaltrials

The work they're doing here is important, I don't doubt that, but it's focused on minimizing damage in the acute stages. This reporter is just repeating the RHI pr info, and I can only assume did not bother looking at the rest of the field.

No one has a magic ball and I'm as tired as anyone of hearing "five more years," but frankly, for a group that is taking the seemingly least aggressive stance possible towards human clinical trials, it's quite the leap to claim a cure will come from one of its own.
    Last edited by Scaper1; 11-30-2011 at 02:31 AM.

My brother told me tonight that he heard $140,000,000 has been raised on the RHF relay so far and they're not out of Ontario yet. I received a call to be a medal bearer the day before it was to happen - unfortunately it just 6 days after my surgery!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

A lot clearer headed today, the point I'm trying to make is that I think all these overly optimistic time frames for a cure are not doing the SCI population any favours. In fact I think it almost borders on criminal to give people false hope that something is relatively imminent and then it doesn't pan out only to be followed by another imminent prediction.

I maybe a oddball but i would rather be given a very pessimistic time frame and have it happen as predicted or earlier then expected.

I admit my perspective is different because my SCI is congenital but after 42 years of this I'm as tired of neurogenic bowel & bladder as the next person.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    My brother told me tonight that he heard $140,000,000 has been raised on the RHF relay so far and they're not out of Ontario yet. I received a call to be a medal bearer the day before it was to happen - unfortunately it just 6 days after my surgery!
    That's a lot of $!!
    Rick could really become a difference maker to cure SCI now!

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Think of all the sturgeon they can save!