Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I being sensitive? Feeling segregated.

well as always, i now feel less alone. at least its not just me. i'm kinda shy at the best of times sooo....
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    It is always like this though. I am not ever sure what to do about it. When I was in school I had the same group of girls that we had class with once a week for over a year. After class they all went out the door not far from the classroom. I would go around to the ramp and come out by the same door. Noone ever thought to go out with me. Once I said to a girl, come this way you can see what the ramped door is like, kind of joking around. She did, but just that once. It can be a very isolating thing at times, this stupid chair.
    I don't know what you can do about it. I don't know you that well, but if I was going to school with you I'd want to be your friend. I'm in school now and I have to say that the kids in my classes (except my math class) are very kind and inclusive to me. I have the most fun in my education classes, my classmates make sure I am able to see their presentations and that I have a clear pathway thru the aisles in this small classroom. Whenever there is a post (like this one) I always rack my brain to recall if I've ever felt slighted (I'm sure there have been instances) but even so, it doesn't really bother me. I'm just happy to be out and about. Anyway, I hope it gets better for you and Emi.

I suspect it's the parent in a wheelchair thing. They're probably gossiping and making snap judgements based on their limited knowledge. My brother's neighbour is a hockey mom and switched to a local league this year - she is so sick of the politics and cliques ... obviously she's not included either.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Your feelings are norm. Maybe have them over other than ice day?
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

i've had this in school and when i was younger with my friends. but now if this happens in a social setting, i always make sure i have a drink in my hand, lol and then quietly sip in a corner and listen to conversation around me. i like to not talk so it seems ok with me lol

i have no idea how to help you with this. this does seem to be an AB thing and i guess maybe try to invite parents over to your home for non skating things like a birthday or a card game? i dunno.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Just a thought.... how about take a box of doughnuts or something similar to bribe them over to your sitting area. Those AB's are easy to trap

Blog Entries
    Love the image of a doughnut trap at a hocky rink!!!
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    I don't know what you can do about it. I don't know you that well, but if I was going to school with you I'd want to be your friend. I'm in school now and I have to say that the kids in my classes (except my math class) are very kind and inclusive to me. I have the most fun in my education classes, my classmates make sure I am able to see their presentations and that I have a clear pathway thru the aisles in this small classroom. Whenever there is a post (like this one) I always rack my brain to recall if I've ever felt slighted (I'm sure there have been instances) but even so, it doesn't really bother me. I'm just happy to be out and about. Anyway, I hope it gets better for you and Emi.
    We are friends and tak during class, go out occasionally. But there is often this "separateness" it's the same most places I go. I am finished with school now so it's not an issue, just another example. I get what emi is talking about.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Emi2 View Post
    well as always, i now feel less alone. at least its not just me. i'm kinda shy at the best of times sooo....
    You're not alone. Befriend someone who is similarly injured as you are, open up, and you'll realize how most, if not all, of what you feel and go through is felt by that person as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    Love the image of a doughnut trap at a hocky rink!!!
    I did too.