Thread: Brisbane Update - Anyone ?

Brisbane Update - Anyone ?

From what I have read on the forums, the first OEG transplant patient trial was performed in June of last year. It has been 6 months post surgery. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of any improvements the patient has had ? Did the procedure involve decompression or was the cord completely exposed for oeg transplantation ?

Bareback Jack,

This Brisbane procedure appears to be shrouded in secrecy! I am just as curious as you are, and it would seem that dogger could potentially be a reliable information source, but he runs a large farm, lives 350 miles from Brisbane, and has limited free time. If indeed improvements are occurring in a linear fashion, it would possibly be to the research teams advantage to begin eliciting the results in increments, i.e., no adverse side effects, some (or no) restoration of function, etc. This would invariably be a good future revenue source for the hospital, doctors, and the local economy as SCI victims begain to commit and prepare for a trip to Brisbane. Guess it all depends on which side of the fence you're sitting on.

Hello everyone. This is my first time on this forum so excuse my ignorance to the scientific jargon.

I believe that a male was operated on last June in Brisbane. Everything must be travelling along positively for this patient because the trial is continuing. Around June of this year another 4 patients will be operated on. 4 people will not be operated on and act as the control group. The control group will not have the surgery but will attend all follow meetings with the rehab team wearing bandages on their back. The rehab team will be unaware of who has and has not been operated on. Obviously the doctors will know.

Unfortunately, the members of the trial are unable to give out any detailed information on how patients are goig until the trial is completed and the results have been published. This will be, as we are all painfully aware, in 3 years. This has all got to do with scientic/intellectual property (I think).

The procedure will include a biopsy of the patients nose 1 month before surgery. Then the patient will undertake a lamenectomy with around 14 million cells being injected itho the damage spinbal cord. All patients are complete and have an injury between the T4 level and T10. The patine tmust return to the hospital every 3 months for 2 years, after surgery, for assessments.

I hope this helps.

Schmeky , thanks for your economics and foreign policy lesson . the hospital , doctors and researchers in question are all paid out of AUSTRALIAN tax payers pockets ..so guess who should get first go at any positive results ?regarding the local economy , i'm sure the pubs etc will manage to survive off my mates and i .. . i got an email from one of the team , same line ...no results to report ..to be honest i feel quite proud of this team , they said 3 years at the start and none of them are breaking ranks for an ego buzz .

thanks
    dogger

every day i wake up is a good one .

dogger,

If I offended you in any way, I apologize. I have the utmost respect for your country and culture, not mention the clinical trials taking place. I'm just impatient. . . . .

Dogger,

Not that its important....but I was under the impression that the government didn't fork out the money for the Brisbane trial. I thought it was mainly privately funded. I know that PBF (paraplegic benefit fund) has given funding ... relatively small. May be wrong about government.

This topic really interests me so tell me everything you can. Thanks.

Schmeky , you didn't offend me . after 9 months you are impatient ? perhaps people who have been living with SCI for slightly longer are too .
    Fiona , the P.A. Hospital foundation put up A$200,000 [which is money donated from members of the public , myself included ] towards this trial . my point was that Drs. Geraghty and Erkhardt [the 2 spinal doctors ] and Prof. Mackay-Sim are employed by the public health and education system . P.A. Hospital and Spinal Injuries Unit are both public institutions . i would be very disappointed if our public system took paying patients from overseas in front of Australian taxpayers . if this trial proves successful and is taken up by private hospitals i would have no problem with it being open to all who can pay . there is also the problem of our medical insurance fiasco at the moment . the trial team has said until this is resolved they are only prepared to work on Australian citizens .

thank you
    dogger

every day i wake up is a good one .