Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Exoskeletons Will Be the Eyeglasses of the 21st Century

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    It's very similar to having your own personal Lokomat, that would actually take you somewhere instead of hanging around on a treadmill.

Silly humor... We can't walk, so they build a machine(Lokomat) to help us walk and then put it on a treadmill so we can't walk anywhere.

By the way.. I wear my Walkaides on the Lokomat and get Estim while I'm on the lokomat.... one step closer

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    It's very similar to having your own personal Lokomat, that would actually take you somewhere instead of hanging around on a treadmill.

Silly humor... We can't walk, so they build a machine(Lokomat) to help us walk and then put it on a treadmill so we can't walk anywhere.

By the way.. I wear my Walkaides on the Lokomat and get Estim while I'm on the lokomat.... one step closer
    We use triggers on Empi units while we treadmill train as well. It takes 6 people but think it's worthwhile as often as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by nrf View Post
    We use triggers on Empi units while we treadmill train as well. It takes 6 people but think it's worthwhile as often as possible.
    that is awesome, lucky to have 6 people around..

Nice about the walkaides and the lokomat, it's all done with one PT. The sensors in the WalkAides kick off the stim at the appropriate moment..

Hence with an exoskeleton, it knows exactly where your legs are and can stim the appropriate muscles at the appropriate moment while you walk..

Similar to the RTI 600 except you'd actually be going somewhere.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=162140

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    that is awesome, lucky to have 6 people around..

Nice about the walkaides and the lokomat, it's all done with one PT. The sensors in the WalkAides kick off the stim at the appropriate moment..

Hence with an exoskeleton, it knows exactly where your legs are and can stim the appropriate muscles at the appropriate moment while you walk..

Similar to the RTI 600 except you'd actually be going somewhere.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=162140
    You have to spend a fortune now(lokomat) or a little at a time(treadmill). The rti 600 looks interesting but it is stationary. Maybe Dr. Young can make all of it scrap metal.

is this the thing where you use your brain to move it? so wouldnt it need to "plug" into you somewhere? that sounds a little irreversible and scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrington314mx View Post
    oh. i did not know this. well then yes, id want one. gotta be a pretty penny.
    After years of hype, testimonials, lab experiments and trials stem cells have proved to do nothing whatsoever so far in treating SCI .
    i think exoskeletons are a more pragmatic short term possibility in improving SCI life quality but affordability will be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrington314mx View Post
    is this the thing where you use your brain to move it? so wouldnt it need to "plug" into you somewhere? that sounds a little irreversible and scary.
    No. not at this point at least, maybe once they get off the ground they'll work on a version that is sip and puff controlled, or just go straight to the brain implant version.

But to answer your question, it would be just as invasive as a power wheel chair.

I think these things would be pretty crap over uneven terrain which sort of defeats the purpose of getting out of a wheelchair.

Quote Originally Posted by peterf View Post
    After years of hype, testimonials, lab experiments and trials stem cells have proved to do nothing whatsoever so far in treating SCI .
    i think exoskeletons are a more pragmatic short term possibility in improving SCI life quality but affordability will be a problem.
    One hopes that manufacturing in quantity will bring the price down, but still cheaper than stem cells at this point and you know what you're going to get.

I'm still 100% behind the embryonic stem cell solution

Quote Originally Posted by lurch View Post
    I think these things would be pretty crap over uneven terrain which sort of defeats the purpose of getting out of a wheelchair.

At this point my goals are pretty modest. I'd be happy walking to the supermarket like my 80 year old grandmother.

Hopefully there'll be plenty of incarnations but eventually we'll get to the wheelchair replacement version. Fingers crossed the the embryonic stem cell solution arrives first, but it's nice to have some options.