Thread: Retirement home

Retirement home

Hi, I am unsure if this is where to post this. I am having a issue with going back home. I recently purchased a condo that is still being built. It was suppose to be done at the beginning of November but it is still not finished and I will be returning back to Canada soon. So the "condo people" as I call them had told me they will set me up temporarily at a apartment, however the only place they could find is a retirement home. I am trying to figure out if it is worth investing twice as much in a hotel room or should I accept this "accommodation". I wonder if anyone has had experience in a retirement facility and if given that I will only be there a few weeks is worth just giving in. I am unsure if I am asking for advice on this the right way, it is just that it took a couple of years for me to become independent and i feel like I am going backward by accepting this. Sorry if this offends anyone, I do not know if my perception on retirement homes are wrong and therefore just need advice on if I am looking at this the wrong way.

Thx!

While I do not know the specific home you are talking about I can tell you that there is a retirement/assisted living center up the street from me and it is no different than a condo except with better accessibility and occasional help if needed. If it is only for a couple of weeks I would personally just accept it instead of paying for something else. You may find it more appealing on many levels than a hotel room. The "home" up the street from me is filled with vibrant people who come and go, dine at restaurants, see movies, in general have an active life.

Retirement home, assisted living, nursing home....there is a lot of difference in definition of these kinds of facilities. Can you be more specific about the amenities the facility you are describing provides?

All the best,
    GJ

a retirement home isnt the same as a nursing home. or at least they have apartments, as well as a nursing home part, because not everyone needs the same care. Id go ahead and take it. it is only for a couple of weeks, and who knows, you may even like it depending on the place.

dont forget pictures of your new place.

Thank you, I will ask the "condo people" to be more specific on this retirement home. I am just unsure as to what to expect and I got a little worried but your replies kind of gave me more perspective than just seeing it in the negative.
    Thx again.

As soon as my condo is ready, hopefully in a couple of weeks, I will post pics

Take care!

Quote Originally Posted by Karlam24 View Post
    Thank you, I will ask the "condo people" to be more specific on this retirement home. I am just unsure as to what to expect and I got a little worried but your replies kind of gave me more perspective than just seeing it in the negative.
    Thx again.

As soon as my condo is ready, hopefully in a couple of weeks, I will post pics

Take care!
    I live in a condo and can't wait to see your pics! Good luck!

I wish you the best in your endeavors
    Everyone has their own reasons and way's like's etc...
    find out what is more convienent / practical and follow your gut instincts
    Only you truly can make your choices
    i've lived in both and found out I rather live out in country so for me that type of atmosphere is not my cup of tea

Lately I have Been looking into condos in my case everything has to fall into place and if it is meant to be then it will happen . I am checking out places but still I need my country esque feel ...

Have a good day
    Sincerely ;
    GL

Quote Originally Posted by Karlam24 View Post
    Hi, I am unsure if this is where to post this. I am having a issue with going back home. I recently purchased a condo that is still being built. It was suppose to be done at the beginning of November but it is still not finished and I will be returning back to Canada soon. So the "condo people" as I call them had told me they will set me up temporarily at a apartment, however the only place they could find is a retirement home. I am trying to figure out if it is worth investing twice as much in a hotel room or should I accept this "accommodation".
    Is this in writing? If yes, is it on a signed contract?

I'd be pushing for an extended stay hotel (e.g., Residence Inn), on their dime.