Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Life as a Turkey

My Life as a Turkey

Must see for the like minded animal lovers here, the first 15 or so minutes are priceless.
    http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episo...-episode/7378/
    Last edited by leschinsky; 11-22-2011 at 12:53 AM.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Ack - not available (maybe just a Canada thing).

My niece had a story in kindergarten about 'Tommy the Turkey' (Tommy was her uncle's name as well) and she refused to eat meat from that day forward. She is 27 now and still doesn't eat meat! She has to take iron pills! lol

I remember how she bawled that Thanksgiving because mommy killed Tommy the turkey!

I think that's funny ... but dedicated!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

well that's too bad it's so sweet. whe the first baby hatches it sees the man a its mother and hobbles over to get close to him, it really tugged my heart.

these are wild turkeys which we apparently dont eat, luckily!

great story. loved the beautiful scenes.

We set this to DVR the other night and did not record. I wonder if PBS will run it again.
    We really wanted to see it.

We had an old crippled cow down at the farm, my uncle's where I spent many summers. His name was Art, after my cousin. He got around on his forelegs parallel to the ground in front, his back legs were fine, but he couldn't ambulate real well for a bovine, he was all hunched over his forelegs and moved pretty slow. Because of his problem, he hung around the backyard most of the time.

He was more of a pet, wasn't kept with the other cows. We all got to feel affection for him, all of us kids, til the day we butchered him and had him for supper. haha, poor bastard, I truly did feel sorry for him when he was alive, but I still ate him. I figured that's probably how he'd have wanted to go out if I could have asked him.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Bobby, Bobby, bobby, how can I look at you the same! You ate your pet!

Linda pbs will definitely replay it if you dont want to watch it online.

We had a pet pig that fell from a passing truck but I never partook of Miss Piggy!

rdf you heathen! lol

It took years before I would even touch bacon or ham again! I still have a difficult time with pork!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky View Post
    Must see for the like minded animal lovers here, the first 15 or so minutes are priceless.
    http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episo...-episode/7378/
    I watched and was a little disturbed by it. I wasn't sure I understood the fellow's intentions. It was very sweet while they were all a family. Difficult to watch when had to face one of the adults (trying not to spoil it for anyone).

He seemed like an unhappy guy but it was very interesting. I feel like I learned something.

I grew up with a duck. We got her at a feed store and I stayed up with her the first night to make sure she made it. I raised her and felt pretty close to her. I remember when she layed her first egg - what a shriek! I ate some of her eggs but they were pretty gamey. She lived with our English mastiff who was 125lbs. The two would face off at the food bowl - whoever got there first dominated. It was hysterical to watch. The duck would lay her egg and my dog would gently break it open, eat the inside and then the duck would eat the shell. They had a life together.

I didn't know what I was doing but tried to be a respsonsible parent when I insisted we release her at a pond. I figured living where she was, was a bad life for her. I thought she'd want to be with other ducks and do lot's of swimming. Unfortunately she didn't survive out there. Still feel so bad about that. I miss her and remember her very well. I don't know if I could have eaten her but I always thought that's the way it should be. Be honest about life, raise an animal right and then harvest it. Raise another. Easier said than done I figure. I do miss her and my dog too.

My nephew and girlfriend had a yard turkey named "Rainbow" by the 5 yr old daughter.
    Rainbow and the pitbull (big baby) were buddies. If someone came that the dog knew she would stand in between you and the turkey.
    On Halloween they stopped by and we heard Rainbow has disappeared and they were not sure what happened.
    We all agreed that was a good life for a yard turkey.