Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Has anyone had long term issues from mitroffanof?

No problems with mine although I know a few women on CC that have had probs w/ leaking and/or scarring. Got mine in 2005 I think. I was 2 or 3 yrs post sci...something like that. Got tired of having to lie down to cath. One of the best things I did.

I had a supra pubic for only 2weeks during recovery and I agree wearing a tube and bag wasn't for me!
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

If you choose the mitro route, go with doc that does belly button only! I am ok w my overall result w/exception to location (to right of bb). My doc switched my marking right before surgery :/ Took me forever to accept this little bullet hole in my stomach, still think it's yuck. The bb ones are much better. Otherwise, it is worth doing.
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

I had mine done in 2000, mitro only which is a much less complicated procedure. Of all the options out there for female quads and bladder management this surgery is a no brainer. Everything about this injury is going to scare you but this procedure is definitely worth it. I'm surprised you need the aug, though. You haven't been injured for that long, I would figure your bladder would still be able to hold enough to not have to have the aug. Having a cath in 24/7 can cause cancer, as well, plus so many other cons. My doc was a pediatric uro and talked me into this. He used my appendix and made the hole in my bellybutton. You can't tell it's there. Btw, this is Kim from Greenville. I think I talked to you about this procedure when you were in rehab. I'm glad you are considering it.

I have the mitro with Aug. lower right abdomen. Never had any issues & I actually honor my long scar & "blowhole" for giving me control & freedom. My only question is with pregnancy, how would the belly button positioning work? I had no issues with my pregnancy & cathing but wonder about the bb. Anyone have experience to share?
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

My mitro was done in '05 two years after my accident. I also had a pediatric urologist who focused mainly on children with Spina Bifida too. He used my appendix and did not do an aug. He is an AWESOME doc!! I would do this 1,000 again if I had to. It has made my life so much easier. No bags attached when I go out in public. I drain into a disposable kit on a schedule and go one with life. If you ever want to talk feel free to pm me and I will give you my phone number or we can skype if you want. I have no problem showing you my scar and opening as well as the type of closed disposable cath's that I use which really have helped cut down on the uti's (I still get a uti every couple of years or so now, but it usually happens when I am in a hurry. Before I wasn't even able to kick them with IV antibiotics). I have a bunch of spare unopened sterile cath's I could send you if you haven't tried that type of setup yet. They are really great!!! Nothing to wash. Just throw the whole works away. Best of luck! Janet

I got the Mitro surgery in 2007 and only have had the normal mucus issue. I love it. I'm C5/C6. I feel great about cathing every 3 hours, which I can do myself because of my tendon transfers on both of my hands. Mitro works great for my lifestyle.