Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is your contingency plan???

Counts in my book, we have seriously considered selling our house just to move to be around younger more willing to help people since our neighbors are all getting old, ha ha. But then we think about how willing the younger would really be. geez, can you tell I am tired?

No contingency plan here. I haven't had a day off in over 9 years. We just keep on keepin on. I just pray I do not die first.
    "A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner"

Quote Originally Posted by darthe View Post
    No contingency plan here. I haven't had a day off in over 9 years. We just keep on keepin on. I just pray I do not die first.
    I think this is really how most of us get through everyday. But, after 29 years, 4 days off for 2 bunion surgeries, 3 days off for torn meniscus surgery (and even on those days, I was here and supervising), I worry about getting things in order and bases covered.

NL (GJ's wife and caregiver)

I think for the most part most of us are up a creek which is A sad statement to make in such a great country..

I have a contingency plan if things get desperate but it's not something to talk about... So aside from winning the lottery nope no contingency plan
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

I think thats up a creek without a paddle....

Quote Originally Posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
    I think thats up a creek without a paddle....
    Up a creek without a ceiliing lift............

Quote Originally Posted by darthe View Post
    That is what we always thought, although my dad was 6 years older than my mother, his health was always excellent. Then he was diagnosed with cancer and died 5 weeks later, leaving my mother with PPMS (EDSS 9.0). While we already had some part-time attendant care, it fell to me to arrange more attendants to cover all that my dad used to do (and more) for her care.

Having her move in with me was not an option. We continue to cut and paste with 4 different attendants currently, and me visiting from out of town at least 1 weekend a month, taking care of house repairs, etc. My dad has worked hard to make the home as accessible as possible (ceiling track lift, roll-in shower, ramps, etc.) and they had a mini-van with a power chair tie-down, and helped get my mother a new power chair just a year before he died, so that made everything that much easier.

(KLD)

KLD, Your Dad was a smart and good man to be thinking ahead like that.

Im not my husbands primary caregiver as there are things I physically can no longer do for him w/o hurting myself. But given that, I CAN handle most cares well enough to get through.. So I'm the back up when his nurse is ill, and have to take time off work to cover.
    My brother lives with us, and CAN also be back up, but he's quite resistant to it, so it is kind of a last resort.
    I know I need a better plan, since we also have two young boys both on the Austism Spectrum, who require a lot of attention as well.
    Rebecca
    Wife and Caregiver, husband has Secondary Progressive MS, wheelchair bound, unable to work, MS still progressing.
    Mother of 2 active boys!

Mostly, I hope nothing happens while my husband is gone.
    Last edited by PhoenixFiresky; 12-02-2011 at 03:25 PM.