Thread: Should wheelchair cushion covers "breathe"?

Should wheelchair cushion covers "breathe"?

I am getting a waterproof cushion cover for a new wheelchair cushion.

Should I be concerned that it does not "breathe" if it contacts skin directly? Is it important to get a cushion cover that is not airtight or that breathes a bit?

If you have moisture issues which cause either skin maceration or rashes, then this is especially an issue. Not only the cover should allow air flow, but the cushion as well. In addition, it is critical that cushion covers are stretchy, and allow you to sink into the cushion surface, as if the cover is tight and non-stretchy it keeps you "hammocked" above the cushion and removes much of the pressure reducing properties of the cushion.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    If you have moisture issues which cause either skin maceration or rashes, then this is especially an issue. Not only the cover should allow air flow, but the cushion as well. In addition, it is critical that cushion covers are stretchy, and allow you to sink into the cushion surface, as if the cover is tight and non-stretchy it keeps you "hammocked" above the cushion and removes much of the pressure reducing properties of the cushion.

(KLD)
    x2

X3. If my cushion didn't breathe it would take no time for my sensitive skin to suffer badly.

OK, when a cushion cover breathes like this, are there fabrics where it is safe to rinse it off?

Also, is it safe to put a plastic bag over the cushion, between the cushion and the cushion cover?

I am trying to figure out a way to get a safe but easily washable cushion/cover
    Last edited by xsfxsf; 11-21-2011 at 01:36 PM.

putting a plastic bag over the cushion itself would hold air in.
    I need my cushion to breathe if nothing else but to help with the smell

the best thing is to get two cushions and always have a clean one handy

I went to just making my cushions outta old form rubber i found here and there, so i don't buy them
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

I would consider a ROHO..they are naturally waterproof and washable.

and most comfy!
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

My standard operating technique is to simply have a couple of covers so that one can get thrown in with the wash as needed.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Roho makes a water resistant cushion cover. I have been using one for 6 months and have no problems.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Thumbs up

I sweat a good bit, and found that I was getting a good bit of irritation when I was on a waterproof cover, even wearing my normal cotton underwear and sweatpants. I have been trialing a couple of Supracore "Stimulite" cushions, and found that even though they don't "pressure map" as well as others that I've tried, the fact that both the cover and cushion are designed to breathe and circulate air keeps my butt a lot dryer and more comfortable.

With the non-breathing cushions sticking my hand between my butt and the seat, my clothes always felt wet or damp, now that I'm on the Stimulite, I find that I feel a LOT drier.

Stimulite uses a honey-comb style material that they claim "pumps" air through the cushion with the users normal movements, and a cover fabric that "wicks" moisture away, but is easy to wash and fast drying. The cushion doesn't absorb water the way a sponge type cushion does - it can be hand washed in the tub / shower w/ soap and hot water, or machine washed in a non-agitator machine. It can then be shaken to remove most of the water in the honeycomb cells, and then machine dried in a low temp dryer.

I've had a few "accidents" while on the cushion, and it has cleaned up w/ no problems, and been dry and ready to go back on the chair the next day... Only minor "problem" is that the fluids will pass through the cushion to some degree and drip on whatever is under it - adds a bit to the cleanup task...

ex-Gooserider
    T-5 ASIA-B para, currently working on building own power chair, as being in a manual is an EXTRA handicap.