Thread: Juvinile diabetic needs stem cell transplant

Juvinile diabetic needs stem cell transplant

This 29 year old w/m with diabetes since the age of 5 years .he is beeing managed by insulin pump .uncomplicated but he is having psychological problems of beeing diabetic .If there is a final resolution by tissue or EM cells treatment please advise.

Quote Originally Posted by anan haffar View Post
    This 29 year old w/m with diabetes since the age of 5 years .he is beeing managed by insulin pump .uncomplicated but he is having psychological problems of beeing diabetic .If there is a final resolution by tissue or EM cells treatment please advise.
    No, there is no cure yet. Treatments will continue to get better over the coming years.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by anan haffar View Post
    Anan,

Assuming that this is a friend of yours, please tell him to be patient. Much progress is being made in the treatment of diabetes. First, pancreatic transplants (the Edmunton procedure) has been used to treat patients with diabetes for several years. The patients are now no longer insulin dependent but must take cyclosporin and immunosuppressants so that that cells are not rejected. Second, pancreatic stem cells have been dissevered that can replace insulin-secreting cells. The problem is that diabetes is an autoimmune disease and the cells will again be attacked by the immune system. Third, bone marrow transplants have been reported to eliminate the autoimmunity that causes diabetes but bone marrow transplants are associated with a 20% or higher mortality rate and this risk may be too much to justify. In the coming years, the risk of bone marrow transplants will fall, particularly as more umbilical cord blood transplants are used. Combined with the availability of methods of program adult stem cells to produce insulin-producing cells, this should provide a cure for diabetes.

Wise.

I hope there is a cure for diabetes soon - that one makes me almost as mad. Every room mate I had in hospital (3) had diabetes! Both brothers have it as well. My mother died from its complications.

Can't imagine being a kid and having to deal with it!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12